why people like this put out instructional clips on youtube

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Charity,
I think it is nice of you to ask if you can use the posts here. I feel personally, that anything I write in a public forum is for use by anyone as long as they do not try to slant its meaning.
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Cathy,
Responses in context.

Dear A'isha,

I also agree with you when you write "The point is to respond naturally to the music, the mood, the feelings in your own heart and soul and body. THAT is the power of this dance"
and
"Being real and responding, and letting people observe the soul of another human being. We all spend a lot of time hiding and the magic of this dance on the most in-depth level is the revealing of the human soul"

I don't think you are reading too much into it at all. I have seen all this and totally agree that this is possible, at least for a few dancers, to transmit all this, and for some to receive.

but I am not too sure what you meant by this:

"observing instead of having to act on the result of the dance."

What would "act on the result" mean?

Dear Cathy,
What I meant was twofold.
First, there is no need or reason for an audience member to involve themselves in such a way as to get up and be a part of the action of the dance. In other words, this dance is a solo thing and the audience or any other person is not part of the actual event. The audience is there to observe and appreciate rather than be an active participant in the dance, (though this does occasionally happen, too).
The other part of this is for those who do perceive sexuality in the dance and consider it a vital element. The dancer should NOT lead anyone on or in any way suggest to the audience that there is more than the appreciation of seeing sexuality in another person. In other words, the dancer is not for sale for further recreation, if you will. ( She/he may actually be for sale AFTER the dance is done, but in her/his capacity as a dancer, no.)The sexuality of the dance does not require a partner or the need for the dancer or observer to act on this sexuality. It is merely there.
Regards,
A'isha

Thanks, Cathy

Aisha Azar

YouTube clip

Hi - back on to the instructional clips topic, someone posted this on another forum and I immediately thought of this thread...

YouTube - How to Belly Dance on YouTube

Dear Nat,
Although I did not see a really good example of belly dance in the clip, I would hang around with this woman any time. She is a riot!!! ( Not only that, I would LOVE to have her in a class to refine some of that latent talent into real belly dance material!!)
Regards,
A'isha

Moon

I think she isn't very experienced yet. She might be a student.
Personally, I give students who do their best and respect the dance a good rating on youtube, even when they're not very good dancer yet. "Beauty-shake"-girls who tag their videos as (sexy) bellydance, however, I usually give just 1 or occasionally 2 stars.

I gave this video 5. It was brilliant! I had to laugh so hard when she was "picking the right music".

Kharmine

Whoa, she ain't exactly inhibited, is she? Great sense of humor and sure doesn't take herself too seriously! :lol:

She's obviously a novice belly dance student, and that costume wasn't very becoming, but you can tell she's getting there. More importantly, she has the right "accent" of this being an ethnic dance, not the hoochie coochie.

There are more technically skilled dancers who seem to ignore this difference, if they ever knew it.

catwoman

Ah…….the amazing story of “Ishtar – the Knickerless Dancer”!!!!

I am fully aware that people do not like Ishtar for one reason or another….that is their choice/decision/opinion, and they are, quite rightly, entitled to them (I also have my own regarding Ishtar!!:confused:).

I have to say that this rumour has been doing the rounds for a while, and whoever started it must have jumped for joy when everything came to a head about 3-4 years ago. After a Charity performance at the Liverpool Bluecoat Chambers Ishtar was informed by the Event Organisers that a photo had been taken which clearly showed that she was not wearing any underwear, (with the possibility of ruining the show on purpose?:shok:).

I know that she was wearing underwear, because I had to visit Ishtar in the changing rooms that the Teachers used - to collect a students veil, that had been picked up by mistake. While she was re-arranging her skirt, I clearly saw underwear – I would have to be blind to miss the diamante trim on the back (I’m assuming to match in with the diamante on the belts:lol:)!!

During a meeting with representatives of the Bluecoat Chambers, Ishtar and the Event Organisers, the photo in question was inspected and showed that while underwear (g-string) was worn, it had shifted during the dance and pubic hair was visible. I have it on good authority that she still has the letter of confirmation from the Bluecoat Chambers.

A valuable lesson learned – wear suitable undies:D.

Eshta

And there we all were, worried that Ishtar was dragging the name of our beloved art form down through the gutter!

Catwoman, your anecdote does have a moral to the story, but it beggars the question: what excuse for a costume was she wearing that a shift in her undies could reveal her intimates, presumably if her undies had stayed in place we'd "only" have been treated to a flash of her thong?! Because I sure as hell thoroughly test drive my costumes before I wear them out in order to ensure that you CAN'T see my undies, no matter how vigorously I dance :naghty:! I ask the question but part of me fears the answer!

By the way, welcome to the forum:)!

Shanazel

Hi - back on to the instructional clips topic, someone posted this on another forum and I immediately thought of this thread...

YouTube - How to Belly Dance on YouTube

Is she insinuating that we're NOT supposed to dance to the music of Elvis, known as the Pelvis?:shok: Why, he originated belly dance in 1957 somewhere on a Louisiana Hayride, adapting it from traditional Cajun and Scotch Irish dances done in the middle east (North Carolina and Virginia, most noteably). He was high priest of a cult of men who were known for dancing seductively for their girlfriends and wives. Women later tried to take this traditional dance and make it their own, despite its obvious masculine essence. I am all for women getting in touch with their masculine sides and believe they can perform quite acceptably as long as they don't attempt to exhibit symptoms of testosterone poisoning that they aren't legally, ethically, and genetically entitled to.

sharrychrist

Hi, this post is very informative; however I would like some specific information. If someone can help me then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

perfumeshop

Warning rather long response...............

And there we all were, worried that Ishtar was dragging the name of our beloved art form down through the gutter!

Catwoman, your anecdote does have a moral to the story, but it beggars the question: what excuse for a costume was she wearing that a shift in her undies could reveal her intimates, presumably if her undies had stayed in place we'd "only" have been treated to a flash of her thong?! Because I sure as hell thoroughly test drive my costumes before I wear them out in order to ensure that you CAN'T see my undies, no matter how vigorously I dance :naghty:! I ask the question but part of me fears the answer!

By the way, welcome to the forum:)!

Of course there is a valid reason given to me by bellydancers for going commando, namely a dress or 2 piece with cutouts which effect might be spoilt by knickers or VPL. The difference is that the dancers didn't do floorwork as on this notorious occasion. I was there but (mercifully) was not in a position to be treated or otherwise. At the time I couldn't see the point of the floorwork as only the 8 people around the front of the room could see anything. For myself I know personally wether underwear was worn or not. But I did hear that the offender claimed to be wearing home made french style knickers that "slipped". And I assumed she had made these so her costume was not spoilt by non matching underwear.
This was not as far as I know a charitable event ..it was the community dance part of the Liverpool Arabic Arts festival( and dancers were not paid for dancing) and since that "happening" the belly dance community has been told by the organisers they wanted no more performances by the belly dancers on Merseyside. Dancing displays are now chosen and invited by the commitee and apart from an evening event with selected dancers, are usually "folkloric".
Whatever, the Merseyside BD scene was rocked (unpleasantly) by this event. I know not the full truth of what happened nor the repercussions but whoever was at fault, no favour was done to us who strive to make this beautiful dance respected. And who this lady tars with the brush of "middle classness basket weaving tea-drinking witches". We all get lumped together whatever our stance on the situation.
Also refering back to the work of this dancer, her videos contain one with shows her dancing "with Cairo musicians" and yes, one or two of them were probably from that city but I have seen the full film and it was a show in Manchester and the same dancer had a costume malfunction there!:shok:
This can happen to any dancer (been there, got the T shirt) but once bitten... I admire innovaters and this lady has a loyal following and I know from dancers who have been to her lessons that she is quite charismatic and inspirational whatever else is lacking in her dancing and attitude. It is a shame that someone potentially so talented should give up learning so quickly and go off to develop her own "style of bellydance".:(All I would have wished for us in our part of the BD community is that she had joined the rest of us who attend regularly workshops with the expert teachers from "over there" and "over here" to raise the status of the dance instead of ploughing her own furrow. I regularly meet dancers who started dancing with here and will never deny their gratitude for her inspiration but who left her when they found greener pastures. And I wish you had seen her charming performance I was shown of her from 11 years ago that an ex pupil treasures. That student ( not me!!) is now a teacher but still a student of experts.

catwoman

knickerless dancer....continued!!!!

Thanks all for your replies:D

I'm in no position to make any comment about previous costume "mishaps", (as I, obviously, wasn't there!) only the one at the Bluecoat.

And, please don't get the impression that I spend my time in changing rooms perving at other womens intimates!!!!!!!

I got the impression that the g-string was one of those that was all dental floss with half a beer mat for the front:shok: I had the unfortunate experience of owning one and it never stayed where it was supposed to (Aggghhh..camels hoof!!!) and would not, personally wear one to dance in, and yes, i always do a costume rehersal with my fella and friends watching (who are quite ruthless with their opinions).

As a student, you hear only one side of a story, so it's interesting to hear the other side:)

Also great to see that there are others from the merseyside area, it,s nice to see that I'm not alone:dance:

Kind Regards x