Belly dancers etiqqette

Eshta

How strange, ethics and etiquette have been preying on my mind of late, so it was interesting to read the list on the site.

How about adding:

"I understand that, every time I don a costume or describe myself as a belly dancer, I am acting as an ambassador to my art form and on behalf of thousands of women across the globe. I therefore understand my obligation to honour that responsibility and not exploit it for either materialistic of narcissistic gains. To that end I will represent the art form to the best of my abilities, and will strive to improve those abilities and not become complacent."

Ok, off the soapbox now!

Aisha Azar

Fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How strange, ethics and etiquette have been preying on my mind of late, so it was interesting to read the list on the site.

How about adding:

"I understand that, every time I don a costume or describe myself as a belly dancer, I am acting as an ambassador to my art form and on behalf of thousands of women across the globe. I therefore understand my obligation to honour that responsibility and not exploit it for either materialistic of narcissistic gains. To that end I will represent the art form to the best of my abilities, and will strive to improve those abilities and not become complacent."

Ok, off the soapbox now!

Dear Eshta,
This is sublime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My highest regards,
A'isha

nightdancer

Just last week in class, we were talking about drops and backbends. Anne says "You never ever ever ever do this facing your audience, or we will smite you!!"

So, from the Queens of the Universe-Smotage to the one in the white. Dang, put your skirt on...

Shanazel

Another suggestion directly from Shanazel's Tacky Tips for Belly Dancers:

Don't go to a lot of expense and effort over your costumes. Just sprinkle a few sequins on your favorite Vistoria's Secret Bra (or better yet, any cotton Platex Cross Your Heart Bra) and call it a costume bra. Extra points if you leave the stretch straps attached.

Ariella

When I first saw that picture, I thought she had *accidentally* forgotten her skirt. I immediately got the urge to run up to her and wrap my veil around her legs.

Moon

Amulya said:
I am actually afraid the audience in this picture is traumatised for life:

Planet Egypt June 2007
Oh yes! Did you see their sad facial expressions?

Sara

:shok: Wow.

I was gunna go to that show n all! Lol. Why dint they have no skirt on? What's the pyschology behind it? Really? I want to know, lol.

Ranya

Oh oh suheir, that was really awful...and yeah, I guess the audience didn't quite like it, judging from the pictures... I personnaly would add (after certain experience with classmates which I described in another thread):

"Do not try to lie about you oriental-dance education, skills and/or performance experience. Do not pretend you are the best dancer in the world when all your education consists of three youtube bellydance videos, each 3min long. Thus, do not undermine the reputation of educated and experienced dancers. DO NOT PRETEND TO BE A BELLYDANCER IF THE ONLY THING YOU ARE AFTER WHILE PERFOMING IS TO MAKE THE MEN IN THE ROOM HOT (and most of all, don't make them hot if you do not even do it right....hehe, sorry, could not resist, but hey...I know a girl who's just like that)

Reen.Blom

Oh my Goodness! That was so gross and so embarrassing!!! Does not the venue have any rules??????

I really hope that my mother does not see those pictures under "Egyptian Bellydance" title!

I could never imagine one would go out and dance there without skirt! I have always been annoyed with ebay and other sites selling bedlahs and hipscarves and having models posing without skirt or pants. Each time I would say- this is a nice set but it is supposed to go with a skirt or pants. And here you go: dancing without skirt!!!

This is really bad, after all bellydance like no other dance gives you a choice of costume- feminine, beautiful, elegant, shimmery fairy tale costume- a womans dream about dressing up, and then she goes and dances almost naked!

That picture with a (I struggle to call her a lady) in a bridge pose... it is also so embarrasing, I am glad they did not take the picture from the other side!!!

This is really really so sad, I could cry!

Eshta

Oh my Goodness! That was so gross and so embarrassing!!! Does not the venue have any rules??????

Planet Egypt is a monthly belly dance showcase organised by a belly dancer and pretty much the whole audience are dancers and the occasional dancer's boyf/hubby. It's an event I attend pretty frequently, and I've also performed there.

The organiser does provide a list of requirements expected from the performer. I can't find the copy I received but from memory although there was nothing explicitly requiring dancers to actually wear something while performing, the general tone was that the performers should conduct themselves in a professional manner.

That said, it's not logistically possible to vet all the performers in advance so occasionally you end up with some real ":shok:" performances! I missed June's but looks like it was one of them!

Eshta

Dear Eshta,
This is sublime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My highest regards,
A'isha

:redface:

Thanks A'isha!

On re-reading my rant, it sounds like an oath we should make all fledgling dancers take:"now put your hand on the costuming bible and repeat after me!"

Reen.Blom

I can't find the copy I received but from memory although there was nothing explicitly requiring dancers to actually wear something while performing, the general tone was that the performers should conduct themselves in a professional manner.

Geez I thought that would be something taken for granted.... Nowadays one should be specifily asked to wear a skirt while perfoming.... LOL I hurry to laugh at it, otherwise I would have to cry....:(

janaki

Geez I thought that would be something taken for granted.... Nowadays one should be specifily asked to wear a skirt while perfoming.... LOL I hurry to laugh at it, otherwise I would have to cry....:(

Me too Reen! I needed to hurry to laugh. LOL. You made some very valid points about ebay adverts. I think these girls are getting inspired by it.

now put your hand on the costuming bible and repeat after me!"

Hi Eshta,
Good idea.b
I just made my pledge (not that I need to).:lol::lol::lol:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Oh. My. Goddess. (!)

That's the worst I've seen in quite a while. Where's the Coffee Table? :naghty: