Belly dancers etiqqette

Eshta

Geez I thought that would be something taken for granted.... Nowadays one should be specifily asked to wear a skirt while perfoming.... LOL I hurry to laugh at it, otherwise I would have to cry....:(

Yes, I believe the planet egypt organisers also thought so (as do 99% of the people who dance there)! Still, there's always one exception that proves the rule!

Reen.Blom

I agree this is hard to predict, but putting her picture on their website is just lack of taste and commosn sence. I have never heard of them before but I would not deal with them, nor link to their site! Just because they do not care about the reputation of bellydance! If she danced say topless would they still put up the pictures on the site calling it bellydance? I think It is disgusting! I am even considering writing them an email of protest...LOL

I think I should ask Shanazel write some legal letter based on bellydance code...LOL :) :) :)

Eshta

I agree this is hard to predict, but putting her picture on their website is just lack of taste and commosn sence. I have never heard of them before but I would not deal with them, nor link to their site! Just because they do not care about the reputation of bellydance! If she danced say topless would they still put up the pictures on the site calling it bellydance? I think It is disgusting! I am even considering writing them an email of protest...LOL

I think I should ask Shanazel write some legal letter based on bellydance code...LOL :) :) :)

I can kind of see where you're coming from, but I still think the fault lies entirely with the dancers.

There's a standard format with the photos. Every month they post two or three photos of each dancer, and the dancer has the opportunity to buy them directly from the photographer.

But whatever the case, THE COSTUMES WERE STILL VERY VERY WRONG!

Reen.Blom

Oh well, I am still workin on Belly dance day website.... so suppose I now think if it was my site... but there is no way :mad: i would post such pictures on my website!

Yshka

I completely agree with Reen. I seem to have vague memories of back when Kaya and Sadie performed their horrendous show at Rakkassah some time ago, the website contained an official apology from the organisors and there were no photos actually showing the 'wrong' part of the show.
I think that is the right way to handle it. I think organisers of Planet Egypt should talk to these dancers about how they have conducted and that this is not something we call bellydance, even if their dance was allright, not in such costumes, it isn't!! Especially since it is organised by a bellydancer! Seriously, I wonder what were they thinking putting up these pictures anyway? I get that there's a basic format of how to go about the pictures, but that format would be ok in the right context, and this is not right. I'm sorry but I feel that if the organisers are truthful bellydancers themselves they would have gone mad just at the sight of those dancers, no?
I think taking those photos away from the website would be the right way for planet egypt to keep up their reputation as well. The dancers in question would still be able to buy the pics, only they wouldn't be able to harm the dance and Planet's reputation. I wonder, will these dancers be asked back for more performances?

Ohyeah, and on the thing about clothing, things like this make it worse::shok::shok: Now honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a girl pops up in something like this claiming to be bellydancer:shok::wall::mad::protest:

Sexy Belly Dancer Costumes and Arabian Dancer Costumes

Makes me want to.... ugh well never mind.:mad:

Last edited:

Yshka

Lol Reen, now with such a quote without reading the rest it would seem kind of odd:lol:. But don't worry, I guess with somebody like Janaki quoting you you'd never get into trouble;)

Reen.Blom

I completely agree with Reen. I seem to have vague memories of back when Kaya and Sadie performed their horrendous show at Rakkassah some time ago, the website contained an official apology from the organisors and there were no photos actually showing the 'wrong' part of the show.
I think that is the right way to handle it. I think organisers of Planet Egypt should talk to these dancers about how they have conducted and that this is not something we call bellydance, even if their dance was allright, not in such costumes it ain't!! ESPECIALLY since it is organised BY A BELLYDANCER! Seriously, what were they thinking putting up these pictures? I get that there's a basic format of how to go about the pictures, but that format should be applid in the right context, and this is not right. I'm sorry but I feel that if the organisers are truthful bellydancers themselves they would have gone mad just at the sight of those dancers, no?
I think taking those photos away from the website would be the right way for planet egypt to keep up their reputation as well. The dancers in question would still be able to buy the pics, only they wouldn't be able to harm the dance and Planet's reputation. I wonder, will these dancers be asked back for more performances? ...

Ohyeah, and on the thing about clothing, things like this make it worse::shok::shok: Now honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a girl pops up in something like this claiming to be bellydancer:shok::wall::mad::protest:

Makes me want to.... ugh well never mind.:mad:

Yah... Bellydance from Egyptian Planet.... To someone not familiar with the dance that would be quite an advertisement of the art... :( That other lady in skimpy outfit also does not fit... looks like she is doing yoga...

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

Dear Group,
I have video of Turkish dancers wearing less and doing many of the same poses as these dancers. While that IS disturbing, for me it is not as upsetting as say Bellynesian, Zombie belly dance, Scottish belly dance as performed by the BDSS, Gymnastics belly dance as performed by Atlantis, etc. Many people are upset by sexual content, I think, and so this kind of thing upsets them more. They are concerned about the reputation of the dance, and perhaps rightly so, but there are other things that are more insidious that are causing different but equal harm.
Regards,
A'isha

charity

ew me, me, i like the queen of the nile costume, very nice.

anywho back to the original link to the website of bd etiquette. did anyone see this teachers youtube video? and what did you think of her dancing? i LOVED it. she is very good, at least it appears she may be, its only one clip so its hard to tell.