Hello from Australia!!

Tina25

Hi all you beautiful belly dancers.

I am half Russian half Syrian living in Australia...

It's great that this forum exists!

lots of love from down under...

Tina25

Can you perform at your own engagement?

Hi its me again...

I have a nagging question and I don't know whether this has been done before etc...

I am not a professional belly dancer, but coming from the middle east I have danced it all my life and people tell me I am excellent.
My partner and I will be getting engaged soon (I know because we have discussed this recently) and of -course.. best thing I am excited about is the belly dancer part. My partner who is Australian has never seen me dance and I really want to make my engagement special by doing a performance...please please people tell me if this is ridiculous and tradition wise, wrong? I need some helpful support/ opinions...let me know..

thanks all! xxx

Amulya

It's your engagement, so you can do what you want. I don't think it's rediculous. There was once a belly dancer in Russia who got married in a belly dance costume and even danced at her own wedding.

adiemus

Why not? If you enjoy it, he enjoys it, and you want to - go for it! From my reading, MED was originally for family and friends, and danced at gatherings just like yours - so enjoy!
BTW I'm from NZ, so there are a few of us from downunder :)

janaki

Welocme to the forum!!!

Go for it and have a great performance and a great engagement party!!!

Tijana

Safran

Welcome to the forum Tina! I agree with Amulya - it will be your engagement so you can design it. You can pick a nice Arabic love song to dance to, and provide your partner with the translation of the lyrics...

Nat242

Hello from another down-under gal!

It sounds like a lovely, romantic idea, and a beautiful surprise for your fiancee.
Let us know how it goes, and welcome to the forum.