Slinks DVD reviews

adiemus

tee hee!!

I have two that I quite like, both by Jenna.

Basics and Beyond - I like the step-by-step way she goes through each movement, and because she stands in front of a mirror, you see both front and back - and she works both sides, so you get to see everything from all angles.
The practice combinations are fun especially if you're a beginner like me, they allow me to practice something different from what I'm covering in class, while still learning the very basics.
I'm not so keen on her warmup, because I think stretches are good only once you have warmed cardiovascularly, but they are good as a cool down.

The other one is Heartbeat of Belly Dance, rhythms and dance combinations for drum solo's.
For me the best part is Raquy going through each rhythm so I am beginning to identify the differences in other pieces of music.
The choreography that Jenna does (there are three) are reasonably easy to follow, she breaks down each bar and this means it's easy to stop and go over each one until you've got it.
But the best part for me is her shimmy drills - these are great for someone like me who is a real beginner to go over and over without getting bored.

I have no idea whether these are 'good' examples of technique, but I have found that since following this, as well as going through the class, the number of practices I do each week has increased, my stamina has improved, and I'm more able to do the moves without having to think with my brain - my body is beginning to do it naturally.

Can I emphasise that using a DVD is no way as good as being in a class? And I should add that having a mirror is really helpful to ensure posture is correct (especially if you're working on a lumbar lordosis that needs to learn a new position!!). But having a DVD does mean you can stop and start, go over and over what you're struggling with, and not bore everyone - I just wish I could video my teacher in class and use that in between lessons!!
I hope I haven't broken protocol by doing this review - but for me it's been a worthwhile couple of purchases!

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

Yippy Adiemus! these 2 are my fav DVDs together with Ariellah's!

Slinky, look what you ave done! My big in poofy DVD thread became obsolete...ha ha ha PPl like your better now!!!

Great reviews, gals!!!

slinks

^^^^ awwww I'm sorry really sowwy :-( but I have so many !! I had to put them somewhere ... here comes another one, lol

slinks

Sharimar's Sensuous workout 2

Pure Techniqe

Another Shamira dvd, this one is a professionally burnt dvd and is great for beginners and intermediates, who want more. It starts with a “how to do the moves”, all of the moves are put into small combinations such as hipwalks & hiplocks, 1 big circle & 4 little circles, inside circles & outside circles, circles forward & circles back, hip lifts & triple hip lifts, lots of fun combos to learn. There are 22 chapters. Then it takes you into a fun workout (or practice however you see it) of three choreographed dances using the above combinations, it gradually increases from easy (first dance) to the challenge (last dance). You can also do the choreographed dances separately, you study the moves, then do the dance, three separate choreographs on one DVD. I think this dvd is well put together, so easy to navigate! The DVD goes for 92 minutes. As I said in an earlier review of Shamira there are “no bag ‘o tricks” here, nothing complicated but very effective and stylish. This dvd is called The Sensuous workout, it’s not like a bellyrobics but can be used as such because, as you all know lots of circles, hiplifts and "sensuous" figure 8's, all are muscle toners. Circles are fantastic on the upper thighs and the lower bottom while the figure 8's work the hips and upper bottom. In fact the lower the impact of the workout the more fat you will burn, the higher the impact, you lean more toward sugar and fluid loss thus dehydrating, so, as soon as you eat, the weight you lost during your high impact workout will be gained back. So, "Sensuously", dance your way to fitness. :)

slinks

Alynes Double Veil

Aylne's Double veil dvds. (2 dvds set 1 and set 2, sold separately) Set 1, goes over how to hold the two veils, she does this with a close up, so you can see her hands well. She then spends a lot of time going over single veil moves, single veil moves are used in the dance, so that when it comes time to double them up the audience will ooh and ah. I found that a lot of the single moves I knew but Alyne does them on different angles and in different ways, so there are plenty of new options here. 16 sets of segments on each dvd. (which by the way, are home made, No Frills but with chapters) Segments means one move after the other. Set 2 is where the double veil moves come in, Aylne recommends tissue lame which I don't like, I prefer chiffon but that is too floppy, so I got some thing in between the both and got some organza... As you see in my Avatar :D anyway set 2 two has the clone and the stairway, cyclone, umbrella, regroup 1 & 2 (catching of veils to bring together while spinning) aeroplane and it has a couple of wonderful combos at the end that she calls, crouching tiger and magica, disc number 2 has way more excitement than number 1 but I like them both, one without the other would be a broken line.. Number two does not have the instruction on how to hold the veil .. I found them to be very worthy of the big bucks I spent !!.

I did not think too much of Alyne's choreography, that she previews on the beginning of both disc, which is to be the next dvd out Set 3.

Reen.Blom

I really think Slinks you should also start a Blog in addition to all these posts!

I have always thought that ther are some wonderful posts out there that just get lost in the hundreds of threads! I wish I have seen all these reviews when I was looking for DVDs to buy!

Slinks you are a real star!*hug hug*

slinks

I really think Slinks you should also start a Blog in addition to all these posts!
Slinks you are a real star!*hug hug*

:redface: gee thanks ... :lol:

I don't like Blogs .. guess this is it ;)

It is always nice to know what you are getting .. I've had some horrors but like I said at the start I'm only reviewing those I like and use, but you'll have to keep in mind that what I like and what you like, might be chalk and cheese :think:

Kiraze

Thanks for the reviews: I have been hesitant of buying some DVD:s as I have not found enough information about them and I do not know those dancers but these reviews helped me to decide that I definately want to have one of those I was thinking and also that I probably would not get what I want from another one ;)

slinks

Keti's Jewel of Arabia

This is a choreography danced to a very strong piece of Egyptian orchestra music. It’s a beautiful piece, 8 & 1/2 minutes long .. if you do in fact get (or have) Keti’s Original A-Z and want a choreo that can give you ideas on how to piece together some of the 26 - 16 count moves on the A-Z dvd, then this is ideal because that is what it is, a choreograph using these .. This dvd is a home burn and has no chapters. It is for Intermediate to Advanced dancers, a beginner would get a little confused. A-Z knowledge is not necessary but would certainly help you along. It is very challenging and takes forever to memorise.. there are parts in the dvd where Keti talks to you about the music and suggests to you, how and where you can improvise, there are parts where she has a veil too, giving you ideas there as well. The room in which she is dancing is a little too bright and Keti’s face seems to disappear or go very red and orange at times BUT you still see what she is doing. The one thing I don’t like about this dvd is that it jumps from the teaching to that segment in the performance and back to the teaching again .. it can be a little confusing and annoying !! lol, It’s a very enjoyable choreography once you have mastered it and gotten used to the jumping back and forth .. the way I have said it sounds bad but it's not as bad as it sounds. The music is lovely. I like this dvd a lot.

Reen.Blom

Thanks for the reviews: I have been hesitant of buying some DVD:s as I have not found enough information about them and I do not know those dancers but these reviews helped me to decide that I definately want to have one of those I was thinking and also that I probably would not get what I want from another one ;)

he he which ones are you talking about? LOL Let us know when you get it!

slinks

Anual Gala Dance Performances

Annual Dance Gala performance dvds 5, 6, 7 & 8 are among my favourite performance shows .. Note: volume 5 has no menu (at the time I bought it) .. These are Galas that are by Nourhan Sharif Productions. They have all types of dance styles from Egyptian to Dervishes (in fact if memory serves me correctly each dvd has a Dervish dance, except vol 5) from recorded music, to live drumming. I really enjoy these shows more than I do IAMED .. the shows are done restaurant style and have a very relaxed atmosphere, volume 5 was a bit hectic for the viewer, with waiters getting in front of the camera view because of the way the tables were set up, the dancers had an “alley” to dance in while the tables were placed on either side lined up, you never knew who was going to end up with a veil in their soup !!! BUT it was a very enjoyable show and this was my first introduction to male belly dancers, with the gorgeous Eduardo. 6, 7 & 8 dvds have menus and the dancers have much more room, with the tables placed around a spacious dance floor. And no waiters getting in the view of the camera .. are they worth the very expensive price tag Sharif Productions has on these ?? Only if you are interested in watching performances, the good, the bad and the ugly, they do not come in gold plated covers :lol: .. From my personal view point, I think these are a mixture of professional dancers and up and coming professional dancers and students fresh from Nourhan Sharif classes .. Professional dancers such as Fahtiem, Amar Gamal and Aida Nour, with Nourhan herself and when I say “up and coming” I mean dancers like Virginia and Azziza .. Yep all dvds are very nice and a pleasure to watch ..

Last edited: