WHERE to become a professional?

ApplesRule

Yes, I just love bellydancing and it's my calling. I was just wondering what would be the best place to be a professional? I'm planning to move abroad as soon as I finish my school (in couple years) and was thinking where would be the best place to start a professional career. Is there some kind of school somewhere that educates bellydancers? :think:

Thanks.

- ApplesRule

Amulya

I'd start with trying to find a reputable teacher for some beginners classes and see if you really like belly dance. Also, to see if you have the talent to become a pro. It's hard work and it takes years. I have to warn you that being a belly dancer is not that glamorous and fun as it sounds. Most dancers are not able to make a living with it and have to combine it together with another job, which can be difficult.
Good luck :)

Yshka

Hello,

I have to agree with Amulya. Have you had any bellydance classes before? You should find a good teacher and get started with classes, as Amulya said, to see if it is really what you want and to learn how to dance correctly in terms of technique and posture/alignment etc.
Also, I would like to add that eventually becoming a professional dancer takes years and years of training, meaning dance classes, education about different types of music, different styles of Oriental dance and knowing their cultural backgrounds, learning to be able to both choreograph and improvise, learning to dance with live music... You will need to know about different props, and when you do go pro in future, about costuming, what kind of show is right for what audience, which music is suitable/not suitable etc. All these things require hard work and dedication to be achieved.

You can not just start out as a proffesional Oriental dancer without the needed training and knowledge. You have to start at the bottom, taking beginners classes, then moving up by the years and continuing to learn, hoping to someday have what it takes to be a professional.

As said earlier, it's not easy to become a professional dancer, and it's not that 'easy' to be one either (though it does have its many good sides:cool:)

:)Best of luck to you,
Yshka

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Pro, etc.

I'd start with trying to find a reputable teacher for some beginners classes and see if you really like belly dance. Also, to see if you have the talent to become a pro. It's hard work and it takes years. I have to warn you that being a belly dancer is not that glamorous and fun as it sounds. Most dancers are not able to make a living with it and have to combine it together with another job, which can be difficult.
Good luck :)

Dear Applesrule,
I want to second everything said by Amulya, and also add that it takes literally YEARS of practice, dedication to your art and a lot of sacrifice to become a good professional dancer. You also must plan on a big financial outlay for classes, costumes, travel, study, music, photo shoots, etc. You also must be aware that even though this business is FULL of wonderful people some of your fellow dancers will not be so very nice, musicians will often treat you like dirt, the general public will probably not appreciate the dance as much as you wish they would, and you will have times when it all seems like it is not worth the powder to blow it to hell.
If you are very fortunate, in addition you will find that the dance is the saving grace of your life, helps you to understand yourself better as a human being, gives you a creative way to express a culture and yourself as one, lets you play dress-up, gives you a host of people with which you have something in common, (most of whom seem to be above average in intelligence!), allows you express who you really are in your deepest soul, gives you the opportunity to delve deeply into a fascinating culture,and is all around bunches of fun.
It is definitely worth it, though not necessarily on the financial level!
Regards,
A'isha

Yshka

A'isha Azar said:
If you are very fortunate, in addition you will find that the dance is the saving grace of your life, helps you to understand yourself better as a human being, gives you a creative way to express a culture and yourself as one, lets you play dress-up, gives you a host of people with which you have something in common, (most of whom seem to be above average in intelligence!), allows you express who you really are in your deepest soul, gives you the opportunity to delve deeply into a fascinating culture,and is all around bunches of fun.

Wow, A'isha, beautifully put.

Aniseteph

A'isha, I was just going to quote that same bit of your post and plaster it with applauding smilies, but Yshka beat me to it. :rolleyes:

Here they are anyway :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yshka

Lol Aniseteph, sorry! What do you say we call it 'teamwork' eh? :D
Your applauding smiles go wonderfully with A'isha's quote in my post..

Reen.Blom

Buy hey this is quite an interesting question, what is the friendliest country towards belly dancers????

janaki

Buy hey this is quite an interesting question, what is the friendliest country towards belly dancers????

Is there a friendliest country Reen???:shok::shok:

I must tell you HK is not q bdd place. I am happy with the reception of bellydance here.

Hi AppelsRule,

Welcome to the forum! I second almost what everyone said on this post. I am happy with my dancing cos I have a another job that pays me decently. If you think this is you go for it. Do it in a proper way and learn everything before you become a pro and continue to learn after. It is not a bad idea to have another job to support you financially unless it is not required. Anyways good luck and hope you achieve all you dreams and goals!!!

Hugs
Janaki

ApplesRule

Thanks for answering. :D
Yes, I've been taking bellydance classes and I really love that artform. I know it takes a lot of work, I've been training several moves by myself beside my classes.

And of course the second job is suitable, I wasn't expecting to earn money just by dancing (it's gonna take years). When I'm ready I must start by dancing only few minutes as my skills grow.

I just wanted to know where are the best opportunities (and teachers) to start a dancing career.

Last edited:

Reen.Blom

I dunno where are you heading to... I thin Eastern Europe has real BOOM of belly danceing, it is very popular, as fitness and as a dance. There are numerous competitions, and well sometimes you would hear some idiot say 'oh you bellydance, oh la la' but in general it is widespread and viewed as a decent dance!

I dunno about the other counties..

But check out that thread:

http://forum.orientaldancer.net/oth...out-you-bellydance-scene-your-part-world.html

About dance scene in different parts of the world!!

Good luck! Love and hugs,
Anna

ApplesRule

I dunno where are you heading to... I thin Eastern Europe has real BOOM of belly danceing, it is very popular, as fitness and as a dance. There are numerous competitions, and well sometimes you would hear some idiot say 'oh you bellydance, oh la la' but in general it is widespread and viewed as a decent dance!

I dunno about the other counties..

But check out that thread:

http://forum.orientaldancer.net/oth...out-you-bellydance-scene-your-part-world.html

About dance scene in different parts of the world!!

Good luck! Love and hugs,
Anna

Thankies! :D

Kharmine

I think artists do well wherever there is a cosmopolitan population -- not conservative and with plenty of appreciation for various cultures.

I'd look for an area that had a really good economy and plenty of interesting restaurants, particularly of the Middle Eastern/Turkish/Greek/Armenian variety, nightclubs that feature live music of different varieties, and ethnic cultural events.

A strong Arab/Turkish/Greek/Armenian-American community would help a lot.

But I agree with the others -- you need a "day job." All artists do, no matter what the medium. You might consider looking for something that you'd enjoy and wouldn't wipe you out mentally and physically so you have plenty of creative energy for dancing.