Dina and Saad il Sughir dancing

Tarik Sultan

I would love to see them dance together without all the cutting in and out of the camera. He's got a very playful sensual style that compliments Dina.

But this is what I mean about men bringing their own unique spirit to the dance.

Moon

Nice :dance:

Is that a recent video? Is Dina finally getting a better costume taste? :lol:

janaki

Nice :dance:

Is that a recent video? Is Dina finally getting a better costume taste? :lol:

I was told that this video is not a very recent one by an arab friend of mine.

Saad danced and drummed really good!!! Loved the clip very much.

gypsy8522

I was told that this video is not a very recent one by an arab friend of mine.

Saad danced and drummed really good!!! Loved the clip very much.

He's right, it is not a recent video. This was at the Hala Sarhan show on Rotana Cinema at the time when the song 'El Enab' came out.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Too oversexed on both their parts, IMHO.

But that's just me. No question he's an excellent dancer, but I'd rather he kept his figurative tongue behind his figurative teeth - he's all but drooling! I'd like to see him solo where he doesn't have the "distraction".

Shanazel

Oh, give the poor child a break, Zorba: he's not only dancing with one of the sexiest women in the world, she's patting his butt as well. A lot of guys would lose their drool control under those conditions.

Tarik Sultan

Too oversexed on both their parts, IMHO.

But that's just me. No question he's an excellent dancer, but I'd rather he kept his figurative tongue behind his figurative teeth - he's all but drooling! I'd like to see him solo where he doesn't have the "distraction".

I liked the chemistry between them. They were sexy, but not sleazy. It was fun and playfull and I like the electricity. I might add that in Ballet, the pas de dux, or in any duet, there is supposed to be an obvious sexual tension between the two dancers. You see this in Ballroom and Tango, but I think here it look much more normal and not contrived.

janaki

I liked the chemistry between them. They were sexy, but not sleazy. It was fun and playfull and I like the electricity. I might add that in Ballet, the pas de dux, or in any duet, there is supposed to be an obvious sexual tension between the two dancers. You see this in Ballroom and Tango, but I think here it look much more normal and not contrived.

I agree with you Tarik! I don't see it as sexual act, it is sexy and playful.

Hi Zorba,

Sorry, I don't agree that their dance should be compared to san fransico's night club acts. Little chemistry between man and women when they dance is natural, artistic and and sometimes fun.

Shanazel

Zorba has a point. I am from the old school that believes belly dance should be sensual without being overtly sexual. Now, now don't start running about hollering about repression and hangups and sexual inhibitions. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion and if bottom patting does it for you, that's lovely. I just prefer Casablanca to Last Tango in Paris, if ya know what I mean.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Yea, I'm pretty much "old school" too, and agree with Shanazel. I'm a bit sensitive on the subject after the notorious "Coffee Table" performance at Rakkasah '06.

What does bottom patting have to do with the dance? Sorry Tarik, this is where we'll have to agree to disagree - I find this sleazy.

The ONLY thing that will "get my goat" faster than a male dancer who masculinizes is one who sexualizes. Same for a female dancer. We already have "big name" dancers in the US who promulgate sleaze - this stuff spreads faster than a wildfire in an oil refinery, and it doesn't make our dance form look good.

Far better dancers than I have fought for decades for some respect - this kind of thing is a step backwards and a slap in the face to those who have worked so long to elevate our danceform.

I don't care for Tango dancing either...

Last edited:

Aniseteph

I didn't think it was sleazy, just fun and playful and flirty. But the camerawork was truly terrible. The rule seems to be every time there's an accent, cut away from Dina or cut to a close up of a different bit of her, so you can't watch her actually dancing to the music. :mad: :rolleyes:

Maria_Aya

This is the most beautifull simple shining Dina i've ever seen, love this video.
And Saed is not bad also;)

Maria Aya:D

Tarik Sultan

Yea, I'm pretty much "old school" too, and agree with Shanazel. I'm a bit sensitive on the subject after the notorious "Coffee Table" performance at Rakkasah '06.

What does bottom patting have to do with the dance? Sorry Tarik, this is where we'll have to agree to disagree - I find this sleazy.

The ONLY thing that will "get my goat" faster than a male dancer who masculinizes is one who sexualizes. Same for a female dancer. We already have "big name" dancers in the US who promulgate sleaze - this stuff spreads faster than a wildfire in an oil refinery, and it doesn't make our dance form look good.

Far better dancers than I have fought for decades for some respect - this kind of thing is a step backwards and a slap in the face to those who have worked so long to elevate our danceform.

I don't care for Tango dancing either...

There was nothing overtly sexual about either one of them. I've seen Dina live and this was far more subdued than many of her shows. They were not being sexual, they were being playfull. Now when they move, this is a beladi, you're supposed to be sensual in your movements because thats what the music is. It was sensual and they were both moving their bodies in a way that shows they are totally comfortable in their skins. This is real Egyptian dance. Its not just about physical movements, but personality and feeling and a total intergration of the human being, body mind spirit and the joy and enjoyment of all the above expressed through movement.

As for the spanking thing, its a joke, not meant to be seductive at all:

This is mean't tgo be silly and slap stick. If it were sexual, thats not the part he'd be having her pat! Besides, you can see what Saad is like when he IS being overtly sexual from some of his earlier performances where he isn't really dancing at all!

A ballet pas de dux is far more sexual, especially when the guy's padded crotch is between the ballarinas legs:shok: