Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New from Mississippi

I just found this wonderful website today. I am a 42 year old mother of 5 and I live in the backwoods of central Mississippi. When I was young adult, I took ballet, tap, clogging and a little bit of jazz.... I have always been an admirer of belly dancing but I lacked the self confidence to try it.

Since the birth of my first child, I steadily gained weight.... In December of 2006, I made a promise to myself to lose weight. I joined weight watchers in January and I bought me some DVDs and videos of instructional belly dance. Now, I am 37 pounds lighter and I can't get enough of dancing. I dance in the morning, practice some moves while driving in the car, at lunch in the conference room and more in the car on the way home. Then, I dance some more in the evenings. I love to dance to my DVDs and Videos but I want some real instruction but alas... here in the bible belt of Mississippi, belly dance is a little risque for these folks so I have no real human interaction. I feel that I get a little better with each day that goes by.

I look forward to the friends I hope to make on this site. I would love input and advice.

Blessings to all,
    Bellaluna

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on the life style changes.

Shanazel

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Bellaluna :-) if it makes you feel any better I have been dancing by video/dvd for 9 years the first 18 months were with a teacher I must admit .. you will get better ..

There is plenty to read, plenty to watch and lots to play and post we look forward to hearing from you :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin Thanks

Thank you for the warm greetings. I look forward to learning a lot here and making new friends. I absolutely love my new found freedom that I have in belly dancing.

Bellaluna

(Slinks - you may remember me from the yahoo group.... I don't go by Bellaluna there.... That name chose me a while back but I have not posted it there yet.... I go by Teresa or Tee on the yahoo group... you gave me some wonderful advice about snake arms)

Post Thanks / Like

lol, Bellaluna (Tee) did you come here through that link posted at yahoo ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellaluna View Post
    I just found this wonderful website today.
    Blessings to all,
    Bellaluna
    No matter ^^^^^^ as you said in the first post here, it's a wonderful place to be :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum Bellaluna, nice to have you here, happy posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Yep Slinks.... found the site through the link posted... and it is wonderful... glad to be here.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Bellaluna... Wow, a mother to 5 and you still manage to make time for dancing. Bravo!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh!!! I was just coming into this forum to intro myself, and immediately found someone else from MS! We have got to get together! I live between Collins and Laurel, and work in Hattiesburg. I've got tons of workout and technique DVDs we can work on if we visit.

I'm 40 yrs old, very physically active (see my profile; racquetball is my favorite thing in the whole world to do), no kids but I have fids (feathered kids), no dance experience because I always thought it was too feminine for tomboyish me (screw that; I'm tired of being 'one of the guys'!), I'm loving bellydancing and in negotiations to start teaching it thru our Employee Health program at work. One of my instructors is a girl from Birmingham, and her instructor is Petite Jamilla. My other instructor (for a very few weeks; I miss her!) is a Lebanese lady from Hattiesburg. Both those girls know their stuff, and I've been deeply thankful to have them.

I'd love to go to the Bellydance Superstars performance in Baton Rouge in October, but since I couldn't find anyone to go with me I'm seeing REO Speedwagon on the coast instead that weekend.

Now that I've typed all that out, can this pass for my intro?

Darbla

Post Thanks / Like

Darbla -

Wow!!!! It is a small world... I didn't think there was anybody else from Mississippi who loves belly dancing as much as I do. I am pretty new at it and I have never had formal instruction but would absolutely love to. I am quickly building my DVD collection (isn't ebay wonderful). I have also purchased a few DVDs and Videos from members of a belly dancing group on yahoo. Love them..... I actually live 10 miles from West but I work in Kosciusko. I have been through Hattiesburg once on my way back from New Orleans (saw Yanni in concert). You are right... we do have to get together. Email me at tatnmet@yahoo.com (My name is Teresa but my friends call me Tee... I have since chosen Bellaluna as my dance persona).
    I will be checking out your profile as soon as I post this message.

I look forward to chatting with you real soon. Email me.... I have some links to me that I will send you....

Wow, another lady from Mississippi. I can't believe it.

Blessings,
    Bellaluna

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast