New from Mississippi

Bellaluna

I just found this wonderful website today. I am a 42 year old mother of 5 and I live in the backwoods of central Mississippi. When I was young adult, I took ballet, tap, clogging and a little bit of jazz.... I have always been an admirer of belly dancing but I lacked the self confidence to try it.

Since the birth of my first child, I steadily gained weight.... In December of 2006, I made a promise to myself to lose weight. I joined weight watchers in January and I bought me some DVDs and videos of instructional belly dance. Now, I am 37 pounds lighter and I can't get enough of dancing. I dance in the morning, practice some moves while driving in the car, at lunch in the conference room and more in the car on the way home. Then, I dance some more in the evenings. I love to dance to my DVDs and Videos but I want some real instruction but alas... here in the bible belt of Mississippi, belly dance is a little risque for these folks so I have no real human interaction. I feel that I get a little better with each day that goes by.

I look forward to the friends I hope to make on this site. I would love input and advice.

Blessings to all,
Bellaluna

slinks

Welcome Bellaluna :) if it makes you feel any better I have been dancing by video/dvd for 9 years the first 18 months were with a teacher I must admit .. you will get better ..

There is plenty to read, plenty to watch and lots to play and post we look forward to hearing from you :)

Bellaluna

Thanks

Thank you for the warm greetings. I look forward to learning a lot here and making new friends. I absolutely love my new found freedom that I have in belly dancing.

Bellaluna

(Slinks - you may remember me from the yahoo group.... I don't go by Bellaluna there.... That name chose me a while back but I have not posted it there yet.... I go by Teresa or Tee on the yahoo group... you gave me some wonderful advice about snake arms)

slinks

lol, Bellaluna (Tee) did you come here through that link posted at yahoo ?
I just found this wonderful website today.
Blessings to all,
Bellaluna
No matter ^^^^^^ as you said in the first post here, it's a wonderful place to be :)

Safran

Welcome, Bellaluna... Wow, a mother to 5 and you still manage to make time for dancing. Bravo! :clap:

Darbla

Oh my gosh!!! I was just coming into this forum to intro myself, and immediately found someone else from MS! We have got to get together! I live between Collins and Laurel, and work in Hattiesburg. I've got tons of workout and technique DVDs we can work on if we visit.

I'm 40 yrs old, very physically active (see my profile; racquetball is my favorite thing in the whole world to do), no kids but I have fids (feathered kids), no dance experience because I always thought it was too feminine for tomboyish me (screw that; I'm tired of being 'one of the guys'!), I'm loving bellydancing and in negotiations to start teaching it thru our Employee Health program at work. One of my instructors is a girl from Birmingham, and her instructor is Petite Jamilla. My other instructor (for a very few weeks; I miss her!) is a Lebanese lady from Hattiesburg. Both those girls know their stuff, and I've been deeply thankful to have them.

I'd love to go to the Bellydance Superstars performance in Baton Rouge in October, but since I couldn't find anyone to go with me I'm seeing REO Speedwagon on the coast instead that weekend.

Now that I've typed all that out, can this pass for my intro? :D

Darbla

Bellaluna

Darbla -

Wow!!!! It is a small world... I didn't think there was anybody else from Mississippi who loves belly dancing as much as I do. I am pretty new at it and I have never had formal instruction but would absolutely love to. I am quickly building my DVD collection (isn't ebay wonderful). I have also purchased a few DVDs and Videos from members of a belly dancing group on yahoo. Love them..... I actually live 10 miles from West but I work in Kosciusko. I have been through Hattiesburg once on my way back from New Orleans (saw Yanni in concert). You are right... we do have to get together. Email me at tatnmet@yahoo.com (My name is Teresa but my friends call me Tee... I have since chosen Bellaluna as my dance persona).
I will be checking out your profile as soon as I post this message.

I look forward to chatting with you real soon. Email me.... I have some links to me that I will send you....

Wow, another lady from Mississippi. I can't believe it.

Blessings,
Bellaluna

Darbla

The rest of this board just doesn't know what an un-bellydancing state MS is, and here two of us just signed up, we're the same age, and we don't live too far from each other! This has got to be fate!!! :lol:

I talked to my instructor today, and since she knows one of the BDSS she's going to see if she can get us some free tickets. You and I need to discuss that. I'm emailing you right now!

Darbla

KuteNurse

Oh my gosh!!! I was just coming into this forum to intro myself, and immediately found someone else from MS! We have got to get together! I live between Collins and Laurel, and work in Hattiesburg. I've got tons of workout and technique DVDs we can work on if we visit.

I'm 40 yrs old, very physically active (see my profile; racquetball is my favorite thing in the whole world to do), no kids but I have fids (feathered kids), no dance experience because I always thought it was too feminine for tomboyish me (screw that; I'm tired of being 'one of the guys'!), I'm loving bellydancing and in negotiations to start teaching it thru our Employee Health program at work. One of my instructors is a girl from Birmingham, and her instructor is Petite Jamilla. My other instructor (for a very few weeks; I miss her!) is a Lebanese lady from Hattiesburg. Both those girls know their stuff, and I've been deeply thankful to have them.

I'd love to go to the Bellydance Superstars performance in Baton Rouge in October, but since I couldn't find anyone to go with me I'm seeing REO Speedwagon on the coast instead that weekend.

Now that I've typed all that out, can this pass for my intro? :D

Darbla

Welcome to both of you! I wish you happy posting and I hope you learn much about dance and make LOTS of new friends. I knew someone who temporarily lived in Hattiesburg. He got into a lot of trouble and I have since not been his friend. Perhaps you heard about him in the news. In July 2006, he was arrested for soliciting a child on the internet...You know the Dateline show to Catch a Predator? Well...He was on it! It was terrifying to realize I knew him. It just goes to show you never know who your friends really are. I hope he gets jail time for a LONG LONG time.

Bellaluna

Thank you for the warm welcome. I am learning a lot here. There are too many great posts and a lot of great advice and tips. It must have been really scary to realize that you knew a child predator. I can only imagine what you must have felt. Thankfully, he was arrested and is most likely in jail some where.

Anyway, glad to be here. I feel at home here and I look forward to my "addiction" of belly dance every day which also includes this forum.

Blessings,
Bellaluna

ChristyW

More Mississippians

Hello. This message is for BellaLuna, Darbla, and any others who may be from Mississippi. I just joined as well, and I am from southern MS - the coast. I have been doing bellydancing for about 2 years now. We are about to lose our teacher in Ocean Springs, MS. We are trying to find another teacher or people we can take classes, train with, or learn from. I saw two names on here - BellaLuna and Darbla - with recent posts. I was just looking to meet others from MS, and see if I cna get any help with our troupe and classes. We are a beginner/intermediate troupe. We've been doing Egyptian/Cabaret style. I am so very afraid that when our teacher leaves us this coming January, our troupe will fall apart. There are tribal classes inour area, and I've been dabling in that, but I do not want to give up what I've learned with Egyptian and Cabaret styles. Can anyone offer any help? I appreciate any input or thoughts on how to hanlde our situation so we won't have to quit! THANKS!
--Christy W.:pray:

Bellaluna

Greetings

Hi, glad to have you aboard. You will like it here. I don't post a lot but I do love to read all the post from everyone. I have found wonderful tips, advice and friends here in this forum.

I live in central Mississippi and I practise by video alone at this time. There are no teachers around here that I am aware of. Maybe one day I will get to take a class with a real teacher and other students.

If I can be of assistance in any way, let me know. In the meantime, enjoy your stay here.

Be blessed,
Bellaluna

Jamilla Rasa

Dec 15 Invitation

:) HI Mississippi Dance Sisters! I wanted to post an event that is coming up that I think you ladies just might be interested in join in on, there are several MS dancers already signed up. It is a great way to meet new dance friends and find teachers in your area and generally just have a great dance experience.

Sirqus of Jreams presents
HOLIDAY HAFLA & Bellydance Superstar PETITE JAMILLA WORKSHOP!
Dec 15
Childrens Dance Foundation Homewood, Alabama
Petite Jamilla Workshop
2pm-4pm Choreography Class
$55 / $65 at door
can pay with visa or master card
contact
Jamillarasa@yahoo.com to register
NO cameras/videos in workshop

(dinner break and get ready for the hafla)

Dec 15
SOJ Holiday Hafla
Childrens Dance Foundation Homewood, Alabama
6pm-9pm
Workshop participates attend FREE
Workshop participates are welcome & encouraged to perform in hafla!
non-workshop participates/audience $10
contact
Jamillarasa@yahoo.com
(The Hafla is video/camera friendly)

Vendors will be on site for all your holiday shopping needs!

share the word with your friends and students and we hope to see you all there!

*PLEASE NOTE, the hafla is set up for workshop participates to get first dibs on performances, there are limited slots available and they go quickly