Does any one know these ladies?

perfumeshop

I have received a bulk mailing from learnbellydance.co.uk - Learn to Belly Dance in Greater Manchester about their teacher training course.
Now I am anxious to improve the quality of my teaching and would be happy to take a course that would do that and not just give me a piece of paper.
I have looked at the website but can't see very much about their own history as dance teachers. Normally when you look at teachers'/dancers' websites they go on about all the workshops they've attended, their teachers etc. Now I know this can sometimes be bumph...you know I once walked in a room where Raqia Hassan was teaching and stayed 10 minutes to take notes but it is nice to know the background of teachers especially if they are training others.:think:
So does anyone know about them here in Northern England or have a look at the website and if you can see something I've missed?It's under other tuition.
I'd be grateful.

deelybopper

Hi perfurmeshop! I've had this email as well. I happen to know one of the women who run Learnbellydance - not well, via workshops, etc - and assumed that she'd tracked down my email address cos she's seen me about and knows that I teach. I've not attended any workshops she's taught, but I have been at workshops with her with Sara Farouk and Lubna Emam (I think), amongst others.

Hope that helps?
D

Kharmine

Perfumeshop, why not email these teachers and ask for more about their background -- how long they've been teaching, who their teachers were, what styles they teach, etc.?

They should have this info on their web site, but if they don't you have every right to ask for more.

perfumeshop

Perfumeshop, why not email these teachers and ask for more about their background -- how long they've been teaching, who their teachers were, what styles they teach, etc.?

They should have this info on their web site, but if they don't you have every right to ask for more.

Two dancers have been in touch with me. One is not very sure about them at all, having been to their classes and seen their groups dance at haflas BUT another has had a resume of the main teachers experience and she has had some excellent tuition it seems and is very committed to all the right issues.

Yes you are right, it always does to ask. I gather from the second dancer that they are building up more info for their website.

taheya

I always think it is really suss when people do not list their concreted experience on their websites. I have never heard of any of thse teachers, I also noticed that one of the teachers says she has been dancing for 3 years. That is no time at all and definately not enough time to be invoved in teacher training.

Suheir

I always think it is really suss when people do not list their concreted experience on their websites. I have never heard of any of thse teachers, I also noticed that one of the teachers says she has been dancing for 3 years. That is no time at all and definately not enough time to be invoved in teacher training.
Yes, you're right. I was in a class with Aida Nour recently and she expressed her displeasure with people who start teaching with very little experience. She said that she danced for thirty years and *then* taught - that's the correct way!

I see these people also have a residential weekend. The 'star' teacher (whom I've never heard of) styles herself as the Director of the Northern Belly Company, a group of unco-ordinated beginners, to judge by a YouTube clip of them. Still, it's nice to give oneself a fancy title, innit?