Negotiating gigs

flutter

Negotiating gigs can be fun or treacherous. I have been doing this tango with a Lebanese man for a while now. You would think after 8 years of performing this would be a piece of cake. I can accidentally take it personally sometimes. As if the dollar amount reflects my actual worth. Duh. We all know of course it does not. It’s the negotiating part of the job that makes me want to throw down my hip belt and say I quit. Find yourself some other dancer. I feel as stubborn as a mule about my fees unless it’s for a charity or friend. I just get stuck and have to remember that negotiating can be as fun as playing with a kitten.
Does anyone else have any ways of pumping themselves up for negotiation time? Tips?

Salome

Administrator
Hi Flutter,

this is a good topic. I have a list of the things that I require to perform. They are points that are important to me. When I am asked to dance Anatoily or I tell the client what I can give and what I expect to get. At this point in my life, if the client does not want to meet those requirements I say thank you but no thank you.

You might check out the book "Getting to Yes"...

belly_dancer

Hi Flutter,

this is a good topic. I have a list of the things that I require to perform. They are points that are important to me. When I am asked to dance Anatoily or I tell the client what I can give and what I expect to get. At this point in my life, if the client does not want to meet those requirements I say thank you but no thank you.

You might check out the book "Getting to Yes"...

hello Salome
do you mind sharing your list????
think it might be helpful to many!
thanks

Salome

Administrator
do you mind sharing your list????

Not at all :) I do not do the every weekend at xyz restaurant/nightclub anymore, but I do gala show's - with live music at several places in Oregon... For those types of venues, the quick and dirty version of what I expect - is a contract, a meal, two drinks, no cover charge for one guest, private changing room, and payment before show upon arrival.

Kamilia

inaugural post

Sorry if I missed the part to introduce myself, but I have been working in DC for about 8 years now.

Anyway, the things that have helped me with negotiating the most are:

1) Being honest with myself, knowing exactly what I want

Salome, it seems you are very clear about your terms and I admire that ;)

2) Looking people straight in the eye when I ask for it

This is a new skill I have acquired in face-to-face negotiations, unfortunately :( Looks like I should check out that book...

3) Being able to say, "no".

Ditto Salome, who should be head of our Negotiation Tribunal :D

It's hard at first, but not when you see what productive things you could be doing with your time (practicing, sewing a costume, setting up other gigs, etc.)

Aradia

I cover this topic in "Becoming a Professional Dancer" workshop lecture, always start high when negotiating with ME people, they expect to haggle a little, so always go high, then come down to where you really want to be, as Americans we are not use to haggling, so it feels insulting at times, but they don't mean anything nasty by it, like, "you aren't worth what you ask", it's just their nature to bargain first.

Aradia

Not at all :) I do not do the every weekend at xyz restaurant/nightclub anymore, but I do gala show's - with live music at several places in Oregon... For those types of venues, the quick and dirty version of what I expect - is a contract, a meal, two drinks, no cover charge for one guest, private changing room, and payment before show upon arrival.

Quick OT, are you in Portland? I'm going to be there in April teaching a workshop, would love to meet you in person!!

Salome

Administrator
Quick OT, are you in Portland? I'm going to be there in April teaching a workshop, would love to meet you in person!!

Hi :) I'm very near Portland. Definitely send me an email before you come and if I'm in country we'll go paint the town :cool:

belly_dancer

I cover this topic in "Becoming a Professional Dancer" workshop lecture, always start high when negotiating with ME people, they expect to haggle a little, so always go high, then come down to where you really want to be, as Americans we are not use to haggling, so it feels insulting at times, but they don't mean anything nasty by it, like, "you aren't worth what you ask", it's just their nature to bargain first.

thank you for your insight!
have a great day