Reading material on the history and culture of Lebanon and Jordan

Safran

Dear all! In two months I'll be off to a trip to the Middle East. I am planning to visit Lebanon and Jordan, and if all goes well, also Syria. But I'd like to do some pre-work before the trip and read up on the culture and history. Maybe you know any good books or internet resources? I don't want it to be too academical, but the more authentic the better.

Aisha Azar

Travel

Dear all! In two months I'll be off to a trip to the Middle East. I am planning to visit Lebanon and Jordan, and if all goes well, also Syria. But I'd like to do some pre-work before the trip and read up on the culture and history. Maybe you know any good books or internet resources? I don't want it to be too academical, but the more authentic the better.

Dear Maariku,
A friend of mine who used to work for International Ambassador Programs recommends Fodor's travel guides because they have a lot of info about the country of interest, plus the usual travel stuff. She used to read up with them before leading delegations to China and Russia. You can Google them. I think they might have online guides as well.
Regards,
A'isha