Hiding yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelofdance

I didn't know what to call this thread.

Have you ever been tempted to hide your ethnicity during a performance?
I'm white (canadian= nothern/western european mut!), usually dyed red hair, but sometimes natural ashy blonde, blue/greenish eyes, 2 tattoos- one on my upper back and one large one on my left upper arm.

Honestly, I have been thinking of some how "claoking myself" to try to make the dance more authentic (Ha! By deauthenticating me, eh hee hee!). But wearing a longe rich borwn/black wig, brown contacts, self tanner, eyebrow darkening, and covering my tattoos. I was thinking that this way I may be more accepted at a "traditional" venue with people from the middle east. I'm white, altnerativey (sort of), and I wonder if it would be a good/interesting idea to try to "blend in" at tradition venues.

I wear wigs to other types of events, and I know some people who do darken their skin with tanning/tanner, dye their hair darker (though they have brown eyes), and wearing contacts isn't a huge leap for me.

What do you all think? Or do you think that middle eastern audiences will love you if you are a great dancer, no matter what you look like on the outside?

Iris/aod

Moon

angelofdance said:
What do you all think? Or do you think that middle eastern audiences will love you if you are a great dancer, no matter what you look like on the outside?

I don't know what middle eastern audience think, but I think they should love you if you are a great dancer! When you come to see dancers perform, you want to see a good dancer, right? I don't think it should matter what you look like. They might even like your (for them) "exotic" look! :)

I have a very white skin and decided to stop trying to become tanned and be proud of my own skin colour, although brown might be a "beauty ideal" at the moment.
When doing my first performance, a danced with 5 other dancers and 4 of them had a light brown skin. They seemed to be very happy and proud their skin tans so easily. But I don't care and I only used a little bit of powder on my face so the lights wouldn't "wash out" my face.
After the performance someone told me I had been very striking on stage because I danced so nice, and because of my light skin!
You see, everyone just had to look at me because of my white skin ;);)

In my opinion, I would rather see a good bellydancer that doesn't look middle eastern at all, than a good bellydancer that tries so hard to look middle eastern.

There's nothing wrong with a white skin/blonde hair/blue eyes etc. Be proud of your own appearance, Iris! :)

Salome

Administrator
Hi Iris,

I wonder if it would be a good/interesting idea to try to "blend in" at tradition venues.

I think what would make a difference in approval/acceptance regarding an Arab or Turkish demographic has a lot less to do with whether you could pass as one or the other physically and much more to do with what you know. Instead of performing a western belly dance style, fusion or fantasy you’d want to perform Egyptian raks sharqi or Turkish Oryantal. You’d want to know the music, the movement, the spirit in which the movement is expressed, the costuming, your purpose, the essence of the style, the cultural context, the customs, the culture and people itself… If you had a deep and wide understanding of these things I think it would be of higher value than skin color etc.

da Sage

Honestly, I have been thinking of some how "claoking myself" to try to make the dance more authentic (Ha! By deauthenticating me, eh hee hee!). But wearing a longe rich borwn/black wig, brown contacts, self tanner, eyebrow darkening, and covering my tattoos. I was thinking that this way I may be more accepted at a "traditional" venue with people from the middle east. I'm white, altnerativey (sort of), and I wonder if it would be a good/interesting idea to try to "blend in" at tradition venues.

I wear wigs to other types of events, and I know some people who do darken their skin with tanning/tanner, dye their hair darker (though they have brown eyes), and wearing contacts isn't a huge leap for me.

I think it would be fun to try! I love costumes and dress-up, although I am lazy about makeup and contacts. I think you should do it, and have pictures taken for fun.

About playing up to the middle eastern audience...your coloring probably will not matter to them. You should actually be careful not to overdo the look with a Middle Eastern or African-American audience...if it looks too obviously fake close up, someone might get offended.

I second Salome...authentic moves will be far more impressive than a "faux"-authentic look.

Shanazel

Back in the dark ages of the 1970s, it was necessary for me to stay tan and wear a dark wig in order to dance in a couple of the venues that hired me. I always resented it, but, hey, product demand. I hope things have changed as Salome suggests- racism is no fun, whatever color your skin and hair.

Aniseteph

I have a very white skin and decided to stop trying to become tanned and be proud of my own skin colour, although brown might be a "beauty ideal" at the moment

Good for you Moon! Me too... let's be pale and interesting! Sun and tanning is very bad for pale skin anyway, slap on the sunblock. :cool: Just compare your face to the sun-worshippers' in 10 years time.
And you're right about standing out - I saw BD superstars do a spot on a show on the TV a while back, and one was very pale and really stood out from the crowd because of it.

Angelofdance

The only reason why I ask is because I have a Lebanese friend, and I got her to watch Rachel Brice. She said she was amazing, but that she would never be accepted by a traditional audience, besides her style, but she said her tattoos would freak them out. I know that my friend is quite light, so I wouldn't try to make my skin brown, just a bit more of a glow either by spray tanners/or a light glow of mineral makeup.

I do love my pale skin...I love my corset and big boots too, but when I'm going for a job at the local spa I don't wear them*w* I hide my tattoos as much as I can when I go for a job as well. I thought it would be the same sort of thing if you were performing in certain venues. Sure they may love you because your dancing rocks, but if people don't like who you look (for whatever reason) they may not want to watch you.

I think I may play dress up in a while....I need a reason to buy a new wig! I'll take side by side shots*lol*

Iris/aod

Maria_Aya

Pls take a min and think the situation from the opposite side:
Look at my profile pic, and 90% you will think i'm arab, of any nationality, all arabs think i'm arab and that I hide it.
So what I get? the worst critism on my dance part, because heyyyyy an arab girl should know :confused: Bad looks from the women, because I should stay down at my table and not get up and dance Gana el Hawa in a professional arab way, bla bla bla and bla bla, she MUST be arab she sing the lyrics exactly and do the gestures as she understand the song !!!
(yes because a teacher MUST know the lyrics to teach the theatrical aproach of the song also) grrr
(&(^**%&$^%%^#^*^%%$%^*(& (and all these at social dance places, since i dont perform in clubs or restaurants).
Plus i have heard curses over my tatoo!!! (so hiding it when i go out)

I wanna be blond with green eyes !!!!!
to get rid off all these things, so feel lucky you dont look arab !!! there are problems that you cant imagine.

Maria Aya

p.s. errr ok I have mauritain blood in me, but go back 120 years, does this count????

sedoniaraqs

Hi Angel:

I think that for an Arab audience, your Anglo skin/hair/eye color should not be a problem. Arabs come in a variety of "color pallettes" just like Americans! They are not all olive skinned with black hair.

The tatoos, on the other hand, are more likely to be a problem, because they are culturally frowned on. For those you could try to find a costume that covered or at least obscured them. There is also body makeup that will cover up tatoos, scars, and birthmarks.

Sedonia

Angelofdance

Hello Sedonia!

*nods* SO mostly be concerned about the tattoos. What about super bright red or purple hair dye? Are alternative hair dyes also frowned upon in Arabic cultures?

Oh no Maria Aya I never knew of the troubles you have, how wreched : ( Well I think you look beautiful and probably dance circles around me, rock on girl!

Iris/aod

chryssanthi sahar

Dear AngelofDance.

First of all, don't worry about your pale skin. Pale skin is very popular among poeple from Middle East. I also have white skin, although otherwise I look very Mediterranean because I am Greek (but I have this all-mediterranean-type, so Arabs usually think I am an Arab, Turks think I am Turkish, even Iranians think I am Iranian and they get offended when they speak their language to me and I don't understand them:D ) and Middle East people love it.
As about the hair and eye colour, it is very interesting for many Middle Easterners to watch dancers with such "exotic" colours. And, as Salome said, if you want to be authentic it is better to learn an authentic style (Egyptian, Lebanese or Turkish) and become a master in it, than try to look like somebody from Middle East, but dance American Cabaret, Fusions or Fantasy. This might offend them. It would also offend me, if somebody would try to act as been a Greek and I notice very clearly that this person doesn't really have much idea about Greek culture, dances etc.
I also think, the biggest problem in your case are the tattoos. In this case, maybe you should follow Sedoniaraqs advise:)
But remember one thing: the only way to be authentic is TO BE YOURSELF!!!!

Safran

Oh my, reading all your posts shows that there are concerns no matter what you look like, so Salome's and Chryssanthi's advice on being yourself and making sure your dancing is good, is the best kind of advice.

I am blonde with fair skin a well + I come from a country both geographically as well as culturally far away from the home of the dance. I had an opportunity to dance to a small group of young Arabs last summer, and I only got positive feedback. They were very much flattered that all the way up North we make an effort to get to know their culture. That was a great motivation boost!

Amulya

Pls take a min and think the situation from the opposite side:
Look at my profile pic, and 90% you will think i'm arab, of any nationality, all arabs think i'm arab and that I hide it.

I used to have the same problem, they mostly thought I was Turkish and trying to hide it. Absolutely no fun! They are insulted when they think you are trying to hide something. Not nice! Strange thing was, at that time I was blond! After I got rid of the blond hair I didn't have the problem so much anymore (this still amazes me). People do ask me where I am from but are more accepting when I explain.

Ya_Assal

I didn't know what to call this thread.

Honestly, I have been thinking of some how "claoking myself" to try to make the dance more authentic I was thinking that this way I may be more accepted at a "traditional" venue with people from the middle east. I'm white, altnerativey (sort of), and I wonder if it would be a good/interesting idea to try to "blend in" at tradition venues.

Iris/aod

Hi Iris,

Well first let me say WOW. I find that super sweet of you to even consider changing yourself for your audience. It shows a genuine love for this art form and culture and as an Egyptian I must say thanks.

But to be honnest I do feel the need to point something out... Middle Eastern people come in all shapes, sizes and culture so no need to blend in to the masses when you can stand out.

Listen, I am dark haired, brown eyes and olive skinned but my mom has green eyes, white skin and auburn hair and is a PURE ARAB (no mixed blood at all).

So no, stay as you are it add to the charm of you as a dancer.

Assal

Hadassah

I'm a pale person, too. Most of the gals in the troupe are - and it's OK! I've come to accept my paleness, and although I use a self-tanner every now and then, I feel like red hair and green eyes are just fine for me.

Btw the last time my teacher was in Egypt, my teacher(a blonde)received numerous marriage proposals, was asked to dance on stage on a Nile cruise, and was given many compliments on her coloring from Arabs. They were very impressed that she knew how to dance Khaleegi, and I think it's your dancing that matters the most.

Miss_Winnii

I think you should just be yourself...Maybe it has some more mysterious look if you have long black hair and dark eyes....
Myself I'm 100%Dutch, but I have black hair, thick eyebrows, dark eyes.., bit a dark skin. They often ask if I'm from Turkey or from Bosnia. But I only think some people will say it looks more ''1001 night''

Miss_Winnii

o I forgot... I also think a natural blonde dancer who looks just good, confident and real, looks better dan a self tanned,unnatural , fake eyebrow one with a wig... If your wig falls of...horror!

Demelza

here in the UK (well nottingham anyway) - they are saying that white is the new brown !! xx love it

Taletha

The only reason why I ask is because I have a Lebanese friend, and I got her to watch Rachel Brice. She said she was amazing, but that she would never be accepted by a traditional audience, besides her style, but she said her tattoos would freak them out. I know that my friend is quite light, so I wouldn't try to make my skin brown, just a bit more of a glow either by spray tanners/or a light glow of mineral makeup.

I do love my pale skin...I love my corset and big boots too, but when I'm going for a job at the local spa I don't wear them*w* I hide my tattoos as much as I can when I go for a job as well. I thought it would be the same sort of thing if you were performing in certain venues. Sure they may love you because your dancing rocks, but if people don't like who you look (for whatever reason) they may not want to watch you.

I think I may play dress up in a while....I need a reason to buy a new wig! I'll take side by side shots*lol*

Iris/aod

LOL. As usual, you can't get me to shut up when tattoos come into the conversation. I am Middle Eastern looking (and also apparently Indian, Latino, and many other things "looking" as well). I am also heavily tattooed and have been since before I became a dancer.

When I was a baby, super greenie dancer doing my very first gig (to a live band and music I'd never heard), with tattoos hanging out, and honestly, not in very good shape either...I received nothing but acceptance from my audience (which was in this case a largely Arab audience). The fact was, they saw that I FELT the music I was dancing to. I could most certainly have been better, but something in my understanding of the music made them like my dancing.

I had some people ask about my tattoos, others try to speak to me in Arabic and/or asking me if I was from Egypt, and yet others just telling me out right that they just plain liked my dancing.

Just as with any culture (a term I'm using loosely) SOME people will be disgusted with you for any number of reasons and OTHERS will be accepting.

I agree with everyone who says you should be yourself. Just dance, dance well, and most importantly, dance from the heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.