Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dancing in a burlesque show

Hi everyone,

I have an invite to audition for a burlesque show (the old kind, cabaret style). I am very excited about this because I'm interested in being involved with that sort of theater (and I don't have to strip or anything, in case you were curious). It is a burlesque variety show, and there would be strippers in it (again, in the old fashioned way). My question is: will it lower my status in the local bellydance community? Will I be seen as a 'lesser' dancer if I do this? I am aware that this dance is not stripping and hate that people associate them together. However, bellydance and burlesque have a long history and I know how difficult it is for burlesque shows to find bellydancers (or so I have heard, for the reasons mentioned above). However, it would be steady pay and I would be able to make my living as a dancer.

Thoughts or opinions? Even on the revival of burlesque? About dancers associated? Any ideas would be welcome!

-Brea

Post Thanks / Like

You know, the bellydance community is so affraid to denigrate our dance that we are affraid to do something that can be great. I know that we should follow some standarts, but as long as we feel good in what we are doing (even if it is stripping) why should we be a lesser dancer? If you have a good technic, that you do a hard work for your show and that you live it and are happy with it, why should you be affraid of what the other can think about you?

Have fun, this is all I can say

(sorry for my bad english ^^)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brea,

My question is: will it lower my status in the local bellydance community? Will I be seen as a 'lesser' dancer if I do this?
    There are some up and coming and a few known Oriental dancers who are also burlesque dancers. I believe Princess Farhana, Zoe Jakes from The Indigo, and an up and comer Michelle from the bay area (according to Farhana's website). I don't know that any of them use a belly dance theme in their act, never seen it so I can't say. But it does prove that you can 'get away with it'... at least in some area's.

I would say though that if your burlesque act is in Belly dance costume etc. I'd expect you'd face a downright uproar over it, complete with burning bridges and pariah treatment from a larger portion of the BD community.

If your burlesque act was Nadia the naughty nurse or whatever and there was no cross over of genre's... I expect you'd get some dissaproval from the BD community but I don't imagine it being major. That's just a guess of course.
    Last edited by Salome; 08-24-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can make a living in dance, I say do it. It's taken me years, and I'm finally doing it, between teaching, judging, choreographing, and those not frequent enough performing gigs that pay well (judging dance comps actually pays the best of all!)

Do it, and who cares what others think?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Salome,

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I will be bellydancing in the burlesque show. Burlesque shows are always looking for a bellydancer. However, I would not be stripping, just bellydancing (though there would be OTHER acts within the same show that would be stripping). I doubt I will ever be able to strip...some kind of mental block there.

Generally I'm not at all worried about what people think of me; I am a bit of an oddity in the bellydance community already. However, this is the kind of thing that may lose me gigs or students, and that does concern me. Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement!

-Brea

Post Thanks / Like

No matter what you do, someone is going to disapprove and someone else is going to throw flowers at you. My own measuring stick of do it or not-ness is: when I am eighty, am I likely to look back and say, boy I'm glad I did that or gee, I wish I hadn't chickened out or lord, what was I thinking?

I'm with Rick on this one- how many eighty year old ladies get to say, yes, I was a belly dancer in a burlesque show.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I would check is how far down if at all they are expecting you to go in terms of taking off clothing or if you will do straight belly dancing. Most modern Burlesque shows expect people to do some removal of clothing, even if you do not strip all the way down. This is something important to be clear on. I would check is to see if its a straight belly dance number. YOu need to be clear on what they expect. Other than that. Have fun and I agree with the 80 year old thing. Of course with me, I plan to dance on the table at midnight on New Years eve in paris when i'm 90 so have fun.
    Last edited by teela; 08-24-2007 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clarification needed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    No matter what you do, someone is going to disapprove and someone else is going to throw flowers at you. My own measuring stick of do it or not-ness is: when I am eighty, am I likely to look back and say, boy I'm glad I did that or gee, I wish I hadn't chickened out or lord, what was I thinking?

I'm with Rick on this one- how many eighty year old ladies get to say, yes, I was a belly dancer in a burlesque show.
    As long as you're not stripping, when you're 80. But then again, if I were 110, I might think an 80 year old stripper is pretty hot. Would that still qualify me as a dirty old man?

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

They do not require the bellydancers to strip. They have singers, a circus act, poi dancing, all that stuff...not everyone in this particular burlesque show strips. I am suddenly wondering how that would work out while dancing with fire...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    Generally I'm not at all worried about what people think of me; I am a bit of an oddity in the bellydance community already. However, this is the kind of thing that may lose me gigs or students, and that does concern me.
    If you had a Manager he/she would counsel you not to do it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast