Male Belly Dance DVD

jen28

Just wanted to say that he is very easy on the eyes.

Okay, go back to your mature, adult discussion ;)

Eve

chuckle- back to the thread.

Has anyone tried contacting someone like Neon from World Dance New York about doing a male instuctor bd DVD? I know dancers have often put out their own works but I have been pleased with WDNY's output in terms of content, quality and price.

I think I'll nip over to tribe and ask the question:)

Tarik Sultan

Sigh, I think this kind of thing just perpetuates the nonsense that there is a "male" belly dance and a "female" belly dance. Ridiculous, at least in the Western world!

I haven't seen the DVD, so I reserve judgement. However, I agree with the opinion there is no "male " or "female" dance per say. The movement vocabulary is the same for both men and women. I think the disconnect comes from not looking at the dance in a totally cultural context.

Aside from the movements, what makes the dance really come alive is the emotional and sensual energy that drives those movements. This is one of the major differences between Western and Eastern dance. Sharki and Baladi are internal and emotional, rather than external and athletic.

In Western culture however, men are discouraged from expressing their feelings. This is considered feminine. Hence the term, "getting in touch with one's feminine side", when a guy attempts to let his guard down and be present in the moment and express his emotions. Middle Eastern guys on the other hand, generally don't have these hang ups. They express themselves, they don't need a sexual situation to show affection and iff they can dance, they do so with the feeling and passion that is characteristic of the the culture. Dance is after all an expression of the culturals which they come from. If you go to Egypt and you experience the way guys there are so friendly and easy going, then it all makes sense. They are not uptight and hostile, but very warm and laid back, so naturally, these qualities are expressed in their dancing:

Guy dancing on a boat in Egypt. Notice how he moves with a calm sensual confidence.

Sa'ad il Sughir. Same thing, but notice the playful quality in his dance.

Notice the joy he's expressing in his undualtions

I think guys spend too much time worrying about not looking feminine. If they are not natuarlly feminine, they will not look so. Instead, they should strive to look gracefull, confident, fluid and sensual. A comfort in their own skins, natural.

Last edited:

Kharmine

I have a preference for what I like to see, but I'd rather see excellent belly dancing of any style that really belongs to that dancer.

Feminine, masculine, flamboyant, subtle, Turkish, Greek, Egyptian, Cabaret, Tribal, raqs sharqi, baladi -- I want it all, baby!

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I think guys spend too much time worrying about not looking feminine. If they are not naturally feminine, they will not look so. Instead, they should strive to look graceful, confident, fluid and sensual. A comfort in their own skins, natural.
Oh Tarik, Tarik....

FREAKIN' YES!!!!!! THAT'S IT!