Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I suppose the distance makes a difference - 10 miles in a heavily populated area with good transport links might be a bit restrictive. If there's a big pool of potential students, teaching other local teachers might be a good thing to help meet demand and build up the local community. Whereas in a rural area or small town another teacher could wreck your business, and it's a bit steep expecting your teacher to help you pull the rug* from under her feet.
    *gorgeous big oriental carpet of course

And the waiver is only a condition of taking classes with that teacher (I assume?). It doesn't stop you leaving the class and setting up in the studio next door if you feel like it.

Post Thanks / Like

In the community where I teach, there are three main studio spaces and they are all well within 10 miles of each other. The other teachers in town have not been my students... so there is that but I would probably not ask students to agree to that.

Post Thanks / Like

Alas, you can't force someone to have good manners or integrity. While I sympathize with your predicament with the opportunist student, Flutter, I wouldn't make those stipulations, either. I certainly wouldn't take classes if a teacher insisted I sign a non-compete agreement.

Two of us teach belly dance here within half a dozen blocks of each other, and we are good friends. If we had a ten mile radius plan, we'd each end up several miles outside the city limits- this is a big city for Wyoming, but a small town anywhere else. We have some crossover in students, but it has not been a problem. Once in a great while a student arises who tries to start something: case in point, a student who changed from me to my friend's studio once airily announced to a group in my presence, "Shanazel teaches fun little housewife classes; Bahira really works us." I really had to gather my good manners up like a shield that time (I'd rather have stomped on her toes), but when I mentioned the incident to Bahira, she was seriously pissed and ready to toss the little snit out on her ear. I said, nah, just charge her extra.

I hope your chemo is a resounding success and that you come back to teaching full of energy and good health. I will be thinking of you.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 09-01-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12