Must have music!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amirah (Hawwa)

Dear dancers,

The old forum had a thread sth like "must have music for belly dance"...
It really helped me (wish others too) not to get lost in the world of oriental music...

Could we continue?

Salome

Administrator
Good idea! Here are a few groups/people whose music I enjoy:

Omar Faruk Tekbilek
George Abdo
Joseph Pusy and the Bedouin Spice Orchestra
Sirocco

Yshka

I'd also go with Omar Faruk and George Abdo.

I think for beginners either Hakim or Ehab Tawfik might be good (they seemed to work for me as beginning bellydance student.

I think also Hossam Ramzy has some seriously good bellydancing music, and I can't seem to do without my Lebanese Emad Sayyah cd..:D

Hadassah

Hakim, Amr Diab, Natacha Atlas, some Tarkan, I also like older stuff like Warda - her tempo changes are awesome! Khaled is growing on me...

Yshka

My current love is Fatma Serhan.. Queen of Balady sounds fabulous, I love Fatma's voice.

Inanna

My new must have music has been Solace, Ive been addicted to their stuff lately. As soon as I get some free time, I think Im going to choreo a new solo to one of their pieces.

gisela

Super Moderator
My favourite music right now is pop with Nancy Ajram and Nawal al Zoughbie (sorry if the spelling is completely wrong) etc. In my collection I recently found a CD with Farid Al Atrache, ( I didn't know I had it) and it was just brilliant. Very old of course, but the feelings expressed in the music.... ahhh

Jamil

classics

I think some of the most imperative songs to our style come from the classical songs...
Modern compilations of Oum Kalthoum, Farid el atrache and Abdel Halim Hafez songs are among my favourite ever!

An Arabic belief is that if a dancer can master the art of dancing to these songs properly. Not just to her/his satisfaction, but to a cultural satisfaction of the interpretation. THEN they are considered a STAR of Raqs el Sharqi.
Listening to even two minutes of the original songs would let you understand why that is!

Songs like:
fakarouni, Nebtidi minen il hakaya, alf leila wa leila, Kariat el Fingan, Sawah, inta omri, Zay el hawa, Gana el hawa, Leilet hobb, ishtatilak, gameel gamal, etc...
Are probably the most notorious titles of Belly dance and has been predominate in sculpting the dance for what it is today.

-Jamil-

Outi

My current love is Fatma Serhan.. Queen of Balady sounds fabulous, I love Fatma's voice.

Do you already have Best of Saidi? It's old one and recorded in Dinas performance. Cd has nothing to do with saidi, it's pure balady. I like it even more than Queen of Baldy. I like her voice and orcestra in this CD more.

My favourite, must have CD is Hasan Abou EL Saoudin Saher EL Accordeon. If you need only one CD this it. Only thing what's missing is drum solo. There is oriental, saidi, songs with singing and with out, some modernish pop beat and traditional balady. And the best of all, the basic rythm in most of the songs are easy to follow, so it's good for any practis, but music itself is more complicated, so it can be used in performances even with professional level. Even after years I'm not bored!

Other must haves (You can see my Egyptian style backround):

- Amar 14 (Jalilah 2)
- Best of Saidi
- Heya Di Yasmina (very good, and quite new CD. Just love Safaa's voice.)

Can't think of more now. I don't have my CDs here and I can't remeber all them (last counting over 200 and now even more).

Last edited:

Yshka

Wow Donya!! That is great. I don't have Best of Saidi but I do have Queen of Balady.

I checked Maqam.com and might be ordering that Best of Saidi album after all. Sounds amazing! I will give the other 2 a try as well when I get the budget to expand my cd collection:D

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Flaming_Sands

My favourites are

Anthology Om Kalthoum (8 cd set)
Ziad Rahbani - Bil Afrah
AL Qahirah - Classical Music of Cairo
Fatme Serhan - both the Baladi and Saidi one's. Her voice is just fab.
Saeed Issa - Al Oud Sultan (I absolutely love this. Music for soul to feed on!)
Cairo Caravan - Tribute to Om Kalthoum
oh and can't forget my Fifi Abdo cd :)

Love
Samiya
xxx

Yshka

Dear Samiya, there's a Fifi Abdo cd? Do you know what it is called? If I can find a way to order, I would be interested lol...

I'm so into classics nowaydays, my Fayrouz addiction is getting a bit out of hand and I can't get enough of old Egyptian orchestral pieces that really sound "over there".
Still I like modern stuff too. Though I'm not anywhere near Tribal I enjoy dancing to Solace music as well (nothing like Two Gypsies for zill practise IMO), and a bit of Gypsy Caravan.

My interest in Sha'abi music has gotten me to like Najat Aâtabou.

For Egyptian music, Fatma Serhan will always be one of my favourites but I'm currently starting to like Metkal Kenawe as well, has a nice authentic sound to it.

I really need to get deeper into the Egyptian style..:)

Right now I'm starting to study Lebanese dance and music a bit more. For popmusic I'd say Najwa Karam (Shu Mghaira being my fave album) is great.
Emad Sayyah has good music too. I've been listening to his "Oriental Dance from Lebanon" album a lot lately.

Last edited:

Suhad

http://forum.orientaldancer.net/showthread.php?t=462

Here's a link to the original topic regarding must have music.

I have found about 2/3 of them (some with radically different spellings tho) on I Tunes, and about half I had in my collection without realizing it. And about a third of them I hear at the local Greek restaurant on any given night (not the same songs though!).

If you're going to do the I Tunes search I found that you need to be really really creative regarding spellings, topics to search under, and knowing some of the artists that have either done versions or the original composer is very helpful. Just putting in 'bellydance' or 'belly dance' will get you a very limited selection, and sometimes even putting in an artist's name will bring up absolutely no hits even though if you put in a song they have done, you will find multiple links to other things said artist has done. The only thing I can think of as a reason is that they figure you'll buy more stuff if you have to hunt around for an extended period of time (guilty).

So my mission has been to become so familiar with these songs that I know them regardless of version, by name, and to be able to dance to them.

It's been really fun, and it's been quite educational!

Last edited:

Shanazel

Some of my favorite music is on long playing records (for you young things out there that think records are something set by drinking the most beer or climbing the highest mountain, records are big pieces of plastic that are played with a stylus on a turntable:) ). I have wanted to rescue my collection of records and cassette tapes for years, but now- TAHDAH!- my audiophile husband has bought a CD set that can record from any source including antedeluvian cassettes and records. I will get Music of the Ghawazee back! George Abdo! Jahlila! And even Juliana's Belly Dance Music for the Connosieur, which I used to hate but may have grown in to, given it has been fifteen years since I last played it.

At any rate, I am a happy little dancer.:D

Madeline

Some of my favorite music is on long playing records (for you young things out there that think records are something set by drinking the most beer or climbing the highest mountain, records are big pieces of plastic that are played with a stylus on a turntable:) ). I have wanted to rescue my collection of records and cassette tapes for years, but now- TAHDAH!- my audiophile husband has bought a CD set that can record from any source including antedeluvian cassettes and records. I will get Music of the Ghawazee back! George Abdo! Jahlila! And even Juliana's Belly Dance Music for the Connosieur, which I used to hate but may have grown in to, given it has been fifteen years since I last played it.

At any rate, I am a happy little dancer.:D

Once a friend from a dance class let me borrow her old Lebanese LP. I thought it was great music until I got one of the songs translated and I realized that the singer is really a comedian! :shok:

Mariesaffron

most have music

I am looking for a way to upload music, classical oriental bellydance music, particularly the song "Aghadan Alkak" of Om Khaltoum, I have done some research on the subjet, allready,... and found out there is a collectors item pakage for sale that unfortunally is the only one that have that song, the price of the pakage is more than $500. on sale. Maqam is the one that have it. Marie:

Status
Not open for further replies.