Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Novelty" bellydance?

I was curious about how many of you have performed a 'novelty' bellydance act, and what you think of them. I once bellydanced to 'Honkytonk Badonkadonk' (oddly, it is quite possible) for a Saloon Girl Contest. I am also considering doing a novelty dance to AC/DC? Maybe?

-Brea

Post Thanks / Like

In all honesty, I've never seen a really good novelty act. I think there is a tendency to lose technique to the gimmick.

That's not to say that it CAN'T be done well, but I just haven't seen one that I enjoyed, and I've seen several that I found embarrassingly bad.

Sorry not to be more positive!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Never done one, but dint someone here once post a christmas bellydanceclip?

Post Thanks / Like

i think someone posted one with someone dancing to dueling banjos....i loved it.
    never done one myself though!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I do agree that the novelty act can look silly...I am not sure how silly the one I did was, but I was proud of it at the time as I recall. Still didn't win the contest. The side photo is of me in the costume I wore (hence the cowboy hat) but I would never do that for a real show.

-Brea

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of my students are after me to let them do a cowboy belly dance (occupational hazard of living in Wyoming). I won't go for it. These students can't do a real good belly dance yet, let alone a decent satire. I saw someone do a belly dance with an iron and ironing board that was funny, and Maria Aya's kitchen belly dance was cute.

Post Thanks / Like

hehehehehehe... one Halloween a BBF (best belly friend!) & I did a TOTALLY spur of the moment duo to "the devil went down to Georgia"..... we were in our regular costumes... plus I had devil horns (borrowed) & she had a cowboy hat (back seat of her car!)... so obviously I was the devil.... & she was Johnny..... anyhow it was SMASHING!.... (we even talked of working up a choreo..... but since neither of us has bothered choreographing our own regluar belly dance shows..... it seemed way too bothersome!)...
    but, looking back, i think there wer several reasons it worked.....
    we are both pretty good dancers
    we are both pretty good "performers"
    we had been dancing together for at least 10 years... (& messing up troupe choreography together for that long)... so we were good at "faking" it together!

I agree.. if you are a newish dancer... it is pretty risky to try & do a theme....
    might just look plain silly if not worse!!!!

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, as someone who has been dancing regularly and performing for the last eight years, I tend to think I am accomplished. I still feel like I have a lot to learn though. Anyway, people seemed to enjoy the one novelty dance I have done.

-Brea

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brea View Post
    Well, as someone who has been dancing regularly and performing for the last eight years, I tend to think I am accomplished. I still feel like I have a lot to learn though. Anyway, people seemed to enjoy the one novelty dance I have done.

-Brea
    Dear Brea,
    I w2ould ask myself some questions and try to answer them as honestly as possible..... What is my purpose in presenting a novelty dance? How will I explain it to the audience in such a way as to let them know that I am not presenting an ethnic dance when I perform such a dance? Does it in any way demean or reflect awkwardly on Middle Eastern dance? In presenting such a dance, am I giving my audience a false impression? In making an attempt at fusion, does it make sense or mesh in any way? Is there a reason to create such a dance that makes sense outside my own desire to create it?
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Brea,
    I w2ould ask myself some questions and try to answer them as honestly as possible..... What is my purpose in presenting a novelty dance? How will I explain it to the audience in such a way as to let them know that I am not presenting an ethnic dance when I perform such a dance? Does it in any way demean or reflect awkwardly on Middle Eastern dance? In presenting such a dance, am I giving my audience a false impression? In making an attempt at fusion, does it make sense or mesh in any way? Is there a reason to create such a dance that makes sense outside my own desire to create it?
    Regards,
    A'isha
    yes, I totally agree.... on Halloween I do not feel "obligated" to explain myself.... but for the REST of time.... we MUST SAY.... this is a fusion/novelty/mutation (sorry.... my new favorite word!!!!!)...
    BTW>>>& the venue where my friend & I spontaneously "belly-ed" up for the devil dance.... was at a "prominent" local BD venue..... where we were known for being fantastic (or at least decent) "real" belly dancers... & everyone KNEW it was a Halloween performance... there were many that night!!!!!!!).... it was SOOOOO much fun!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast