What goes under there?

Andaleeb

Ok, as I mentioned before, I'm new to bellydancing, and I've been searching online for some basic outfit pieces that I can wear to practice at home. I've seen some really beautiful chiffon front-tie tops and harem pants, but many, if not most of them, appear to be see-through. So my question is, what the heck do you wear under there? Are chiffon pants only meant to be worn under a skirt? I could see wearing flesh-colored bra and panties, but then you'd really look naked, so what in the world do you do?

I also saw a lurex top and harem pants set on the We3 Bellydance site, but it appears to be semi-transparent as well (although it's hard to see from the pic they have up). So, I guess I have the same question about this. Also, the lurex material is sparkly, does anyone know if it's "itchy"?

Hi You've raised a very good question? Most of learned by trial and error about foundation garments once we bring home the beautiful glittery costume. Flesh tone underwear is always a sure bet when wearing sheer fabric such as chiffon and some lightweight silks. Another good bet is to wear dance shorts that match the color of your skirt or harem pants, not only are you covered but you have a coordinating appearance, the same applies for for color coordinated bras.
Yasmine

Mouse

I like to wear either a crop top & short/pant set or a leotard (the ones with the powernet midriff can give a nice effect). A unitard would also be a good option if you wanted 'legs' :)

Salome

Administrator
Personally I think there is something about the excess fabric and being able to see the slimmer line of the leg that looks odd... But that’s just my personal preference. When I wore blousy pants… I did have a couple sheer pairs and I wore them over another pair. I had several metallic blousy pants that were very flashy and looked softer with a sheer blue or black pant over the top. So if you have a solid color one could go over the other. I’ve not had a semi or completely see through top but if I did I might wear a color coordinating sports bra, leotard, crop top etc. underneath.

Mouse

I have done the double harem pants thing too. Satin/shiny under sheer gives a very nice effect.

Aniseteph

Very important topic! I just went to a students end-of-year show (including my first bellydance performance :) ). One dancer wore a VERY sheer top and skirt - sheer black with metallic embroidery over. She wore a plain black bra and shorts-style undies, and it looked great. Flesh tone wouldn't have worked because it was that sheer you'd have seen them anyway, and would have given the impression she was trying (and failing) to look like there was nothing underneath.

I think the key is to avoid drawing attention to the underwear. If something is so sheer that you're going to see through, coordinate colours and keep it plain so it looks like part of the costume and not part of your lingerie collection.

And I SO agree with Salome! Tantalizing flashes of leg through slits are one thing, but seeing leg all the way up through voluminous but over-sheer harem pants looks weird to me too.:(

A xx

da Sage

When I wore blousy pants… I did have a couple sheer pairs and I wore them over another pair. I had several metallic blousy pants that were very flashy and looked softer with a sheer blue or black pant over the top.

This is such a cool idea, I am so stealing it!:D

Hadassah

If you buy a hip scarf that's long enough, it can provide some comfortable coversgae if you tie it on the side for the bottom half. For the top, an option is to get a nice hard-cup bra from wal-mart, cover the cups with stretch sequins or panne velvet and coins, and wear it under the tie-top. No one will ever know it's a plain bra under the costume, just steer clear of flesh tone colored bras.

Also, I've been known to roll down the waist of bike shorts, roll up the legs a bit, and wear them under my sheerer costume. Besides, in Egypt, bike shorts under costumes are all the rage! Go figure...