"Wardrobe Malfunctions"? What's your story?

Brea

That sounds hilarious Lydia!

And about dancing with a snake: I never tried this and I just keep imagining the snake deciding to squeeze really hard when I was going into a fast shimmy! Imagine the newspaper headlines:

BELLYDANCER SQUASHED TO DEATH BY OWN SNAKE

Jane

It's not really a malfunction and it wasn't mine, but it was cute.:)

My students had their annual Christmas recital a few hours ago and one of the dancers forgot she had left her glasses pushed up on top of her head. She did all her dances like that and came through just fine! She has very curley thick hair and nobody noticed. :lol:

Shanazel

:lol:My students all take off glasses when they dance, but I leave mine firmly perched on my nose. They are not particularly exotic, but I'd rather see clearly and be known as the dancer with glasses than take them off and risk tumbling over something and being remembered as the dancer who fell face first into the baklava;).

Brea

Yes, one of my first students was a Highland dancer and she said she always danced with her glasses on because she couldn't see a thing without them. Sure enough, she danced the show wearing them! She had far too much precision for bellydance in my opinion but that probably comes from a lifetime of being told where and when to jump!

Moon

One of my fellow students always wears her glasses and she looked really cool last performance with her purple glasses matching her purple skirt. I don't understand why it would be a bad thing wo dance wearing glasses. There are a lot of pretty glasses nowadays and if it complements the shape of your face I would rather think of it as a nice accessory. And if you can see better with it, why on earth wouldn't you wear it?

gisela

Super Moderator
I took a workshop with Samasem a year ago or so and she told us about her very poor eye-sight. She didn't use to dance with glasses or contact lenses but she was fine and she felt connected to the audience, until someone asked her afterwards why she was smiling so much at the empty table throughout her performance. She hadn't seen that noone was sitting there! I think she got contacts after that.

Myself:
- I shimmied off my coinbelt so it fell and layed like a ring around my feet.

- I got stuck with my right gauntlet/sleeve on a paillet on the left side of my costume so I had to do a few extra-smily, improvised seconds with my right arm awkwardly across my chest, while tearing the sleeve loose.

-My veil got stuck on a nail in the floor while "gracefully" pulling it in towards me. Solved it by a quick little toss to get it off the ground.

Nothing too bad yet. I expect it will come some day.

Brea

Ohh gisela just you wait until you have a malfunction like that crown one you were so nice to crop out for me...at least I haven't had the 'bra exploding' malfunction I might have experienced at my last show!

Safran

And if you can see better with it, why on earth wouldn't you wear it?

Actually, there is a good reason :) A friend of mine, when we had just started performing, always preferred to go out without her glasses. Her reason - "If you can't see the crowd, you can't get nervous!" :D

Fatima

The dancers I was with told me that I should never trust costumes I don't sew myself.

Actually that's not true... I did have an almost malfunction with a costume I sew myself. I made this beautiful costume with a halter top, that way it'd be easy to sew. I wanted to add some support so I sew-in a bra, actually only an old bra's cups so I was sure it'd fit me. You can imagine that when my performance night came up I was so proud of my new and unique costumes. But I didn't realize I've lost a lot of weight since I sew my costume and the bra was loose... and if the bra was loose the cups were loose. I notice that when I started dancing. I could feel the cups moving everywhere and I was so afraid to show more skin that I intended to.:shok: I didn't but the sensation was so bad that I decided to sew-in a whole halter bra.

:lol: But if I can't see the crowd, I might tumble off the stage and right into their laps!

Oh, I'll take my chances. :rolleyes:

Farasha Hanem

My teacher has a hip scarf that she loves, but it keeps making her gauchos slip down her hips, so she didn't wear that hip belt the other night.

On another occasion, we wore socks in the studio a few weeks ago because it's so cold right now. Our teacher turned the CD on the boom box, then went to run into her place before the music started. Only problem was that when she slid into her place, she kept going, and the poor thing ended up on her butt! :shok: :lol: She wasn't hurt, and she laughed just as hard as the rest of us were. She's such a good sport. :D

Being a newbie, I haven't had any wardrobe malfunctions...yet, but I'm sure I'll have plenty of horror stories to post later. :rolleyes:

Shanazel

Wearing socks only on a dance floor isn't a wardrobe malfunction, it is a genuine safety hazard. I'm not much of a rule maker, but my one hard and fast dress rule is no socks-only during class. Dance slippers are fine, I even had a girl dance in boots because of problems with her feet, but socks- never!

End of lecture:).

Brea

I definitely second the no-socks rule!! That was something I was VERY strict with my students about. Even so, one of my former students from long ago told me she finally understood why I had forbidden socks; while doing a backbend wearing them she almost fell right on her head! I told her, 'Bare feet or shoes! No Socks!!'

Farasha Hanem

This is the first time my teacher has ever taught a class (wouldn't you know I'd end up being someone's guinea pig?), so I guess she has a lot to learn as well, bless her heart. I'll pass on what you said, and maybe even try to get her to join our forum. Thank you, ladies, for your input. :D

Shanazel

We all require guinea pigs at some point in our life, and so we should expect to serve as a gp occasionally when called upon. I imagine your teacher figured out the problem when she fell on her own bottom. I never slipped from wearing socks, but there was the time I stepped on my veil during a demonstration... WHAM! So graceful, and nobody believed it was a demonstration of what not to do.

Last edited:

KuteNurse

Wearing socks only on a dance floor isn't a wardrobe malfunction, it is a genuine safety hazard. I'm not much of a rule maker, but my one hard and fast dress rule is no socks-only during class. Dance slippers are fine, I even had a girl dance in boots because of problems with her feet, but socks- never!

End of lecture:).

Speaking of shoes for practice...I have bad plantar fascitis and bone spurs on my feet. Can anyone recommend a good dance shoe that may cushion the soles of my feet and make them more comfortable?

Azrael

Hehe! Sorry for digging this thread up - just had to add in my wardrobe mal-function. It was my first performance (and only one to date) in November last year. I had a necklace on, a bangle on each arm (on my wrists) and high up on one of my arms I had a band that wrapped around a couple of times. I also wore my coin belt.
One of the moves we had to do was a jump to face away from the audience, and shimmy, bringing our hands down next to us as we shimmied. My bracelet got stuck in my coin belt, and for my next move I had to lift that arm up!
Worst still - that was the night they were doing the recording for the DVD!
I recovered gracefully and nobody notices, unless I pointed it out.

It was the first night of the 3 night I'd be dancing, and I was relieved when it happened because everybody I had invited was only coming on the 2nd night! And besides, I made my mistake for the 3 evenings. :)