Help! Workshop fees?

Brea

Hi,

I'm being asked to do workshops for a place that is rather ritzy. What do I charge for this? I have only ever taught regular classes. Any advice?

-Brea

Mya

our workshop fees are twice as much as regular classes...but that's because we organise them ourselves, as in find and rent the location and consider travelling costs and such.

Brea

Hi,

This is just me, alone, being hired to do a workshop for some people...I was told by the woman that she wasn't sure they were interested in continuous classes but she wanted to do workshops on Saturdays. I will be living in the city where these workshops will be held.

-Brea

Mya

in the same part of the city? how much gas/taxi fare is it going to cost you to and from?
workshop classes are more concise than regular classes, that's more work and knowledge in a single session, they need to pay more for that.
consider also if you plan to offer any thing that might require expense; an introductory flyer of some sort, veils if you plan to use them...
things like this can be useful in determining a fee.

KuteNurse

Hi,

I'm being asked to do workshops for a place that is rather ritzy. What do I charge for this? I have only ever taught regular classes. Any advice?

-Brea

Find out what your expenses will be to put on the workshop. Take into account what material you will be teaching and how long you will be teaching.

Brea

Yes, will do. I don't know the cost exactly as I don't know where it is yet (this is a new city I'm moving to next week!). I will be figuring that out soon though. Thanks for the help!

-Brea

Maria_Aya

Its my second year to hold once per month a weekend workshop at a place 1.000 km away from my base.
We agreed to be payed by the "head" lol
Its risky but I know how I teach and that they will love it.
Usually had the last year from 40 to 75 people.
Was taking 10 euro per person.

There is also the alternative of ask for a certain price regardless students.
Usually the hour teaching a workshop is from 100 euro to 300 regarding on how good/famous the teacher is.

Hope this helped.

Maria Aya, Greece

Brea

Hi all,

I have a friend (also a bellydancer) who tells me I should charge 15 a head or if the place itself is paying me a flat fee, $30 an hour. Any opinions on this? Does it seem fair?

I previously charged 5-10 a head just for regular classes, again that was in a very poor city that had never seen bellydancing before (in real life, that is).

-Brea

Moon

I don't know enough about this matter to know whether it's fair or not. Around here, workshops are usually no more than 10-15 euro per person per hour, unless they're given by someone famous.
I would personally find $30 per hour too expensive.

Brea

Hi Moon,

She meant it would be $30/hr if the studio was paying for it and the attendees were not. I think she meant $15/per person for the whole workshop the other way, not per hour.

-Brea

da Sage

Well, I know how much students pay...

Regular price classes in the Twin Cities run $10 - $16 (community ed is less). Topic/Workshop prices run $17-$65 with local instructors, and sometimes much more when the instructors are not local. I have no idea what the instructors pocket from that.

Maybe you should meet some other local teachers, and get advice from them about pricing.

belly_dancer

hard to say.... here I teach w/ @ $12 drop in fee.....
just last week I was hired by an entertainment agency to do a party...
the woman wanted... for her 50th birthday... to have a bellydance class for her & 9 friends....(how cool is that!)
for one hour... INCLUDING an "informal" demo.., (as in SHORT performance.... but NOT all out!!!)..
it was 45 min-1hr travel time EACH way....
so I figured $200...
=
$12X10=$120....
+
$25 hr(travel time/getting dressed (for performance) time) X3= $75....
when I got there... realized I could have charged even more (QUITE!!! ritzy!!!)

PLUS it was thru agency... so how much on top of my fee did THEY charge client????
PLEASE...... DO NOT sell yourself short.... I have never done a job where I thought.... oh... I should have charged LESS!!!!!>
but MANY where I thought... oh... I should have charged more.... (& I am one of the most expensive in this area!!!!!!!)
remember... people think you are worth what you charge!!!!!

Moon

Brea said:
Hi Moon,

She meant it would be $30/hr if the studio was paying for it and the attendees were not. I think she meant $15/per person for the whole workshop the other way, not per hour.

-Brea

Oh, then I misunderstood, sorry. Forget what I said ;)

Brea

Da Sage-

That pricing for workshops is what students pay per head?

And to bellydancer- I worry about selling myself short, too. I also have those thoughts like 'who am I kidding? I'm not Rachel Brice'. :)

-Brea