Serious advice needed about CID

Maria_Aya

Hi there:)
Have you ever felt that you are so interested in a subject and you want to introduce it to others but you have 100 ideas ??? This is me now lol
So the case is this:
On October 2006 for first time its held in Athens Greece the "World Dance Congress, under UNESCO".
I'm a member of the International Dance Council, and have 3 things to show at the Congress.

a) a choreography (this is ready, its a Tekbilek song, ambient with saidi - debke at the back coming infront and going back again, so its gonna be a duet with 3rifily the only greek teacher for tribal - fusion, she will do the tribal parts, me the folk ones, both dressed with black with jewel's from the specific dance, we are working on 4 min choreo 3 months !!! we want to show that dance is an art form and that with hard work, friendship and sharing even 2 forms that are in war can be presented together in peace)

b) demonstrating a 30 min dance lesson

c) 30 min speaking about my dance subject

My problem is at the c) with what to start? what would be interesting for the other members (mind that there are gonna be 1.000 dance teachers from all dance forms from all over the world) so my first idea was to show and speak about the dances of middle east and how different and so beautiful they are compairing with what the general public / dancers of other forms believe, plus the missunderstandings that exist.
But I got a BIG no from the president about this subject.
Because he said that the professional's from other dance forms already know this.. but i dont believe they know it, i have met so many teachers from ballet and jazz and tap and ballroom and they dont have a clue what is oriental dance !!!
Anyway
So I'm struggling what subject now:((((
A small presendation of the various styles of oriental dance?
Differences between traditional and social?
The musical connection with the dance and the istruments?
Arggggggggggggggg my nerves !!!
The congress is gonna take place at one of the Olympic 2004 Stadiums and its not exactly the perfect to create atmosfair ...
Any idea welcomed, even if you support my first idea, pls say it, cause I might do that at the end. (also already have prepared it lol and i need my vacations, short on time here)
Maria Aya

p.s. I know that many from all around the world will come for the Congress, so any orientaldancers? hey Rico and Zorba, you had said that maybe?? cause got to organize the welcoming party;)

Moon

Hi Maria Aya,

What a pity the president doesn't want you to do the original subject, cause I think it's a great and very important subject.
Although I like your other subjects too. Especially "various styles of oriental dance" and "music connection"
Maybe you can do something about the history of oriental dance? Or was that already part of your original subject?
However, I hope you will have a great time at this congress. Show everyone how wonderful this dance is! :)

Salome

Administrator
so my first idea was to show and speak about the dances of middle east and how different and so beautiful they are compairing with what the general public / dancers of other forms believe, plus the missunderstandings that exist.

Love this idea. You can re package your lecture in a way that you talk about the same topic but come at it from a slightly different angle. Instead of making a point to say what it isn’t you can say what it IS. Therefore delivering the same message.

Bettina

The musical connection with the dance and the instruments?

Have you considered opening with a drum number possibly five minutes long and speaking about the origins of the dance? The drum number could include various different rhythms such as, beledi, saidi, cifitelli, and the zar. And how the music and dance is related to the culture and its existence in the world today. You could have dancers performing an improv or not but I think it would be exciting for an audience member to hear a live drum being played. I know I would.:D

Safran

I agree with Salome - you can just redefine your presentation a bit and still come through with your initial point. Actually, you can integrate your first thought with just about anything - presentation of different styles, comparison with other dance forms, historical perspective etc. Don't put the emphasis on what is the misinterpretations... concentrate on the details of the dance... what it really is about.

Hope my two cents help. Let us know when you've decided what to go for!

da Sage

Hi there:)
<snippy>
c) 30 min speaking about my dance subject

My problem is at the c) with what to start? what would be interesting for the other members (mind that there are gonna be 1.000 dance teachers from all dance forms from all over the world) so my first idea was to show and speak about the dances of middle east and how different and so beautiful they are compairing with what the general public / dancers of other forms believe, plus the missunderstandings that exist.
But I got a BIG no from the president about this subject.
Because he said that the professional's from other dance forms already know this.. but i dont believe they know it, i have met so many teachers from ballet and jazz and tap and ballroom and they dont have a clue what is oriental dance !!!
Anyway
So I'm struggling what subject now:((((
A small presendation of the various styles of oriental dance?
Differences between traditional and social?
The musical connection with the dance and the istruments?
Arggggggggggggggg my nerves !!!

I think that if you do a presentation about what oriental dance is *not*, you'll be selling yourself, the other dancers, and the dance itself, short.

I personally found it very condescending when my professor continuously insisted that "not all Arabs (or Middle Easterners, or Muslims)" are terrorists. We *knew* that already; that's why we signed up for his history course, to learn more. Not to be talked down to, and alienated right off the bat.:rolleyes:

So keep your statements as positive as possible, saying what the dance is (and only briefly and *lightly* touch on what it's *not*). I think the differences between traditional and social dances, and the links to the music and modern "performance" dance, would be a good topic. By stating where/when/how the dance is/was done by normal people, and by career dancers, you will automatically "de-exoticize" it for anyone who is ignorant. Plus, you won't offend any dance professionals who already "get it".

I'm excited for you! I know you will do 3 great presentations.