Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please post details of the shimmy dvd with Zahra and Dr Mo. It sounds wonderful

Post Thanks / Like

I know it may sound weird.. but is it ok to feel soreness at the calves when doing thigh shimmies? I know everyone is talking about using the thighs, glutes, etc.. but no one mentioned about the calves.. =)

I've been dancing for 3 years and still learning to do proper shimmy technique. This year, I got the chance to learn from a master and found out that what I have been learning so far is called the hip shimmy, the one, u shimmy with bended knees and there is another called thigh shimmies, in which, u shimmy with straight but not lock knees.

Now, I'm trying to learn the thigh shimmy and found that my calves sores quickly. =). I'm not sure whether it is ok to feel the soreness there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Can someone please post details of the shimmy dvd with Zahra and Dr Mo. It sounds wonderful

I second this request.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbellI View Post
    Now, I'm trying to learn the thigh shimmy and found that my calves sores quickly. =). I'm not sure whether it is ok to feel the soreness there.
    I suspect what is happening is you are putting helps of effort into your thighs and the calf muscles are contracting along with them (this is a well known reflex). If so, back off. Concentrate on relaxing the calves and also use less thigh. Another teacher explained how she only used "part of her thigh" to generate her shimmy - and when you look into it, yes, there are four quad muscles (hence the name) so I suppose in theory you could learn to isolate just one.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456