hi all i missed you

Lydia

Hi everybody ...missed you !!!! i am back in Dubai and happy to see all of you very busy posting so i will get my mmmmmm in gear and do my bit ...first i have to unpack do ,see you later hugs Lydia

Safran

Hey Lydia! Great to have you back with us.. Go ahead, unpack, make yourself a pot of tea and then spend the evening sharing your travel stories with us ;)

Moon

Welcome back girl :D

Lydia

Karioca.story

I bumped on her story by luck it was in the arabic newspaper when i was in Cairo...
Born ,feb 22 -1919 in the village,, Manzala dekliaya ,,between alexandria and Cairo,,Badawaiya ,Mohamed Ali,al Nadaini.. was her given name...
She had 16 brothers no sisters,her father died when she was still small
and her oldest brother Ahmed took her in , she worked for him as a housemaid..
One night she run away from his house to attend a weddingparty from her friend...named Fakria..like all other lady,s she danced and the singer that performed at the party (Souad Mohasan )saw her dancing and liked her
told her that if she wanted she could come to Cairo and that she would help her to learn to dance properly and than get a job..
She went back home ,but her brother already found out that she went to the wedding,for punishment he cut off all her hair and forbit her to get out of the house again,But she waited till her hair was growing out,and run away...
She went to Cairo and found Souad,she then helped her got her a teacher...
The movie,, the road to Rio,, with Ginger rogers and Fred astaire inspired her to learn to dance the Karioca she learned it from a Jewish teacher Isaac...He also helped her to get a job in the teather ...Her she took on the name Tehaiya Mohamed... when poeple saw her perform oriental dance with a karioca flavour they then start calling her ,,Tehaiya Karioca,,
She made 300 movies including ,,Anna and the king of Siam,,but luck was not on her side ...While recording this movie her mother fell ill and she had to return to Egypt....
She got married a wacking 14 times !! i will not write all the names because this mail is already very long
.the first one Antoine Essa,the last Hassan abdel Salem...
This ,,sweet lady,,aswell was known for her ,,lovely nature,, example
she slapped a prince in the face while she was performing because he did not respect her show and she got angry,
She attended the Cannes film festival in 1956 where she walked up to Rita Hayworth took off her shoe and walked Rita with it,because she made rude comments about Arabs...
So this is a little bit from her story...our verry much loved pioneer dancer

pearl

Hello Lydia, I'm new here so I still don't know who is who ;) Are you from Dubai or are you holidaying or working there? I was there for about a month way back in 2001 or 2002 when I tried a course with Emirates. Its very hot there!

Lydia

Hi Pearl i work here and live here sindst 1986....and was on holiday for 3 weeks ...so welcome to the forum and happy posting and have a nice day o yes it is very hot....Lydia