Earrings -to keep? or remake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim ema

I have a lot of jewellery from the 1980's that could be remade into bellydance stuff. But these earrings have me torn! I LOVE them - always have. They are hopelessly out of style....but they might work for bellydance.
However, they are very long and have jingles on them and always get caught in my hair unless I wear my hair up.

My question is: should I leave them as earrings, or remake them as handflowers (also known as slave-bracelets)? I love them as earrings, but if my more experienced dancing friends think they would be problematic I will remake them.
A photo of them now:

...and laying on my hand as though a Handflower:

(forgive the picture quality - the photos were taken with a cellphone)

:)
AT

Rachy

Wow, i like them both ways. But if they are going to conflict with your hair, then I'd switch them over to the slave bracelets! I think they'll look awesome that way!

PS, That's pretty good quality from a cellphone

Another thought. Maybe you could leave the top part, that actually is the earring part. Snip it off and you'll have a matching set? Did that make sense?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maria_Aya

Adorableeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!
Huge fan of earings here :D

I see them dancing with you under these conditions:
Your hair back as they seem in the photo.
A very nice black and silver/gold dress.
Classic Raqs Sharqi

Marvelous Icon !!!

Maria Aya:)

tim ema

Another thought. Maybe you could leave the top part, that actually is the earring part. Snip it off and you'll have a matching set? Did that make sense?

OOoo! That opens another idea for me! If I did that, I WOULDN'T have to cut off the earring post. That means........hmmmmmm

I could have just the top part as earrings that did not dangle, but the little hole at the base where the dangle attached would still be there. I could make a handflower/slave bracelet just of simple chain. The dangly part of the earring could have a little clip - I could clip it to the bracelet for today and where the simple stud earrings, then tomorrow I could clip the dangle BACK onto the earring part for a different look!

I love this forum!
Thanks for the inspiration! I never thought of breaking it apart!
AT

Adorableeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!
Huge fan of earings here :D

I see them dancing with you under these conditions:
Your hair back as they seem in the photo.
A very nice black and silver/gold dress.
Classic Raqs Sharqi

Marvelous Icon !!!

Maria Aya:)

Thank you! I guess I always think of bellydancing with hair down and loose.

Do you mean a long ankle-length dress as I see in some Egyptian dancing?
Wow - you sure have to know what you're doing to wear those! I only HOPE to have that kind of control one day!

AT

....thanks also for the icon compliment! One of my best childhood friends (and one of the only childhood friends I am still in touch with) is from India and has given me many, many pieces of costume jewellery, bangles, shalwar kameez, etc over the years and I'm sure that once I make my first bellydancing costume a lot of those pieces will be a part of it - so I made my icon of an Indian image.

Last edited by a moderator:

tim ema

Thanks, Demelza!

I'm hoping I can figure out some sort of rig where I can switch them back and forth from handflowers to earrings whenever I want!

We'll see!

AT

Rachy

Perhaps you could switch to a clip on style earrings, and you can clip them on your ears for earring style or clip them to a ring (on your finger) for when you want to use them as braclets?

tim ema

Aha! Clip on style! I hadn't thought of that!

Haven't worn clip ons for YEARS - used to give me headaches, but I'm sure they've come a long way since then! I should check out the beadshops for clips!

Thanks Rachy!

AT

Status
Not open for further replies.