Utterly confused...

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Old School versus New School American Cabaret (long!)

I think Kharmine pretty much summed it up, but I want to address the difference in MUSIC.

If you look at Turkish pop AND folk music, and you look at Egyptian music, you'll notice a substantial difference. It's not surprising that Turkish and Egyptian dance looks so much different. If the dance is truly an expression of the music, then 2 different kinds of music would denote 2 different kinds of dance. (To put it REALLY simply!)

Old school Am Cab dance music was typified by the 5- and 7-part routine. The dancers used a variety of music -- Turkish, Lebanese debke, Greek, Egyptian folk, and don't forget Armenian Kef! Much of the early Am Cab music was recorded by fusion artists like Eddie Kochak, Chris Kalogerson, and although definately more Lebanese, the still fusion George Abdo and Mohammed el Bakkar.

If you pick up any of Eddie's albums, it's not surprising to find a fast Kef piece followed by a slow Rhumba (!) with a fast 9/8 following, and ending with the Egyptian classics Aziza or Zeina.

I guess something happened in around the 80's, (maybe it was the advent of the tap cassette?) when American dancers started abandoning Eddie Kochak in favor of New Age music like the stylings of Light Rain, and that New-Age jazz stuff that you never hear anymore (thank G-D) but used to be all the rage at local haflas. Personally I think the new age music helped out the popularity of cape, wing, and double veil work, which hadn't really been in the 60s and 70s (in my limited video experience!)

By the 90s, the Egyptian craze had spread and it's my guess that dancers maybe started incorporating Egyptian music in order to "legitimize" Am Cab as an authentic Middle Eastern dance. In any case, you started to see a lot of people (Fathiem, Dahlena) go totally Egyptian, and you started seeing more Egyptian Sharqi music (instead of just the folk stuff) in the catalogs. Egyptian music typically has a lot of varied rhythms and tempo changes, and by then we were getting more and more video from "over there" so we could see what the dancers "over there" were doing, and the 5- and 7-part routine started to fade out, as Egyptian music and Egyptian style became more and more popular.

Turkish Orientale at this time was rudely accused of being the "bad girl" style (in many newsletters and magazines of the period) and was considered to be less refined than Egyptian, and thus less desireable. Greek style bellydance had almost faded out completely, with the demise of many of the ethnic nightclubs and the trend toward recorded music.

The mid-late 90's and early 2000's introduced techno music and Arabic pop music which sounded suspiciously like American pop music) and that much required a different dance approach. Instead of dancing entirely to the heavy underlying techno beat, dancers started picking up the percussion embellishments, and of course, with memories of Breakdancing still fresh in everyone's head, the pop and lock became synonymous with Am Cab of the new millennium. (actually it started before that, but I think that phrase is poetic. lol)

From the late 80's on, you have a gradual introduction of the athleticism mentioned earlier, the influence of ATS, and Rachel Brice's Tribal Fusion (limited movement vocabulary with deliberately drawn out and precise isolations). All of which help to give modern Am Cab a distinct look to go with its increasingly distinct sound: with influences from Industrial, techno pop, Goth, Darkwave music, and Hossam Ramzy's jazzy/tribal "Derwood Green" style music.

Nowadays you have a kind of "Egyptified American Cabaret" or American Egyptian style, which blends the American athleticism and focus on deliberate isolations, with Egyptian technique and styling -- and really moves farther and farther away from the "Turkified" and "Armenianified" dancing of the 60s and 70s.

BTW:
Two of my favorite "Egyptified American Cabaret" dancers are Oreet from New York, and Shabnam Pena from California. I think both these ladies really represent the SPIRIT of Am Cab, without a lot of Tribal or Tribal Fusion involved. (Well, Shabnam USED to be without a lot of fusion. I haven't seen her dance in a couple of years, though.)

Kharmine

Aziyade, that's really good stuff!

The only thing I can addis from when I interviewed Eddie Kochak for Zaghareet! magazine. He talked about early American belly dancers who weren't familiar with Middle Eastern music and needed help figuring out their staging from entrance to exit, what was appropriate for veilwork, floorwork, etc.

That's why he came out with the "Strictly Bellydancing" series of record albums (which have been resissued on CD) -- the music comes from old traditional tunes but has a Westernized arrangement and some Western instruments to make it easier for Western dancers. Some of the pieces are specifically labelled for certain movements. Many of the arrangements are by the late Hakkai Obadia, a Sepahardic Jew from Iran, who was a musical genius in both Western and ME styles.

The other musicians Aziyade mentioned -- George Abdo, Freddie Elias, etc. -- were immigrants or children of immigrants who played for diverse audiences (Greek, Turkish, Armenian, various ME, etc.). Which is how they learned to play a wide range of traditional music from each other's ancestral countries, much of it updated to appeal to a modern and younger audience.

This music became so popular, Mr. Kochak said, that when he and others traveled even in the Middle East, Greece and other places, or when they met foreign visitors to the U.S., they found a lot of enthusiasm for their Westernized music. The younger people particularly enjoyed it.

Today, you hear and see a lot more borrowing of musical influences in popular music from East to West and back again. As always, sometimes it "works," sometimes it doesn't!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Thanks Kharmine!

On the subject, I'm currently in love with the CD "Nelly" by Sayeh Balaha, which has a couple of gorgeous western-influenced Raqs Sharqi pieces. His stuff is so different from CD to CD, but this one reminds of the Oriental Fantasy CDs of Beata and Horacio Cifuentes. Those are a little heavy on the synthesizer, but some of their Raqs Sharqi arrangements are just breath-taking. The western influence is obvious -- harmony, swelling of harmonic strings during the "dramatic" parts, harps, western style flute -- but oh so pretty.

Kharmine

A, thanks, I'll definitely look it up!

The blend of East/West music has a long traditon. I'm sure Europeans were bringing back great tunes from the East long before the Crusades, and vice versa.

So it was no stretch for those early Cairo cabarets that wanted to attract European and American customers to add Western instruments to their traditional bands, and "Westernize" the traditional tunes to some extent, to appeal to those folks.

Popular composers/arrangers/band leaders such as Muhammad El-Bakkar and Mohamed Abdel Waheb made this synthesis very popular in the East before they were known in the West.