Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark Balahadia

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mark B.

Dear Janaki and Teela,
    I hope you will both seriously consider sponsoring Mark. I have been in this business a long time now and it is not easy to impress me, but I feel that he is definitely high quality in both performance and instruction. And he is one of the few around concentrating on Lebanese dance!
    I have made it one of my goals, as an older dancer, to have my company sponsor fresh, younger people who really deserve for the dance community to notice their work. Because of this we often sponsor people that are not so well known yet, but should be, such as the Hamidehs, Jennet and Mark. Among the old guard in the dance world, there is often a reluctance to admit that there are new and exciting people coming up. Mark and people like him are the life line and continuance of the dance, keeping it real and honest and culturally meaningful! I appreciate that more than I can possibly say. Older dancers like me do not have so many years left before we can not do it any more and it's nice to know that there are those like Mark and Jennet out there.
    Regards,
    A'isha

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

We'd love to see Mark in the UK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Suheir View Post
    We'd love to see Mark in the UK!
    I might have to stop by there before I head over to Lebanon...so who knows

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Mark, so you are multitalented! For some reason I thought you did mostly Egyptian. Maybe because the dance clips I have seen of you (dancing to Zeina and rakset kharamana) were very Egyptian.

Cool!

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    Wow Mark, so you are multitalented! For some reason I thought you did mostly Egyptian. Maybe because the dance clips I have seen of you (dancing to Zeina and rakset kharamana) were very Egyptian.

Cool!

Sedonia
    Hey Sedonia. Both clips on youtube are Samia Gamal tributes so I was doing mostly Classical Egyptian movements. I have this uncanny ability to do imitations of other dancers, you should see my Suhair Zaki impersonation

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Balahadia View Post
    Hey Sedonia. Both clips on youtube are Samia Gamal tributes so I was doing mostly Classical Egyptian movements. I have this uncanny ability to do imitations of other dancers, you should see my Suhair Zaki impersonation
    Well, I'm very envious. I think that kind of ability analyze and imitate subtle nuances of movement must be one of the secrets to learning any ethnic style well, and certainly for learning more than one.

When are you going to post some vids of your Lebanese style?

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedoniaraqs View Post
    Well, I'm very envious. I think that kind of ability analyze and imitate subtle nuances of movement must be one of the secrets to learning any ethnic style well, and certainly for learning more than one.

When are you going to post some vids of your Lebanese style?

Sedonia
    Actually, I have two from Milwaukee that are more or less Lebanese style (the bum articulations are definitely Dina though...but the Lebanese love doing that move too!):

YouTube - Mark Balahadia - Part One
    YouTube - Mark Balahadia - Part Two

The quality is bad but I hope that gives you some idea

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Makeda Maysa View Post
    I haven't had the pleasure of being taught by Mark, but I have had several opportunities to either dance in the same show or watch him perform and he is always a delight. The first time I ever danced in a staged show, I was dying of nervousness ... Mark was backstage after I performed and gave me such great compliments, which so helped me to feel proud of what I'd done and comfortable with myself as a dancer. One thing that he said that night still makes me laugh and is the best compliment I've ever received. He said, "You danced like you've had good orgasms!"
    last sentence.....i would die if somebody told me that after the show!! slip of the tong??????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    last sentence.....i would die if somebody told me that after the show!! slip of the tong??????
    Nope, it was very purposeful I say stuff like that sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lydia dubai View Post
    Actually, I took it as a compliment ... as it was intended. I know that he wasn't saying I looked like I was having sex on stage ... rather, that I looked happy, euphoric to be dancing ... that I was clearly connected to the music. I loved it and still consider it one of the best compliments ever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast