Quick question

belya2085

I am trying to learn to bellydance but I wanted to know if I have to be flexible. I am not a very flexible person, so I'm hoping this won't cause problems. Also, I don't really have the time for private lessons and was wondering if an Instructional video would be worth my time? I have many bellydance videos but find it hard follow along. Thank you.

Hi Belya2085, Welcome to the forum! Those are all very good questions, no you don't have to be flexible to begin Oriental dance. However over time you will become flexible as you begin to focus on the isolated movements. Oriental dance allows people with little to no dance /athletic backgrounds to pick up a few moves without injury. It can also be a fun way to deal with stress, promote body awareness and learn about another culture. So much in one package!

So can I ask you a few questions? Why do you want to learn Oriental Dance? Exercise?Social outlet for boredom? Do you like the music? Do you have any previous contact with the dance, people or culture?Sometimes when one has a specific reason for doing something new, they are more likely to enjoy it and stick with it. If you are having a hard time learning from the videos, maybe you are not a visual learner. Visual learners can pick up on visual cues in the 2 dimensional format of videos. You may benefit from the kinetic and auditory style of learning that you can get from a live teacher. It's been my experience, that students who don't have time for a teacher rarely have time to devote to video learning. There is so much knowledge that can't be transmitted with a video. But stick around in the forum, I'm sure you will learn alot.
Happy Dancing Yasmine

adiemus

Welcome to the forum Belya!
I've found as Yasmine says that flexibility develops over time - but that you have to repeat movements many times (over a week, month or more!) before you get it.
I also found that it's great to have instructional video's, because they help you go over and over moves you can't get in one lesson - but at the same time it's almost impossible to learn without a teacher because they can tell you specifically what you're doing right and wrong, and give you tips over time that help you reach the goal of getting the move right!

I echo Yasmine's question: what is it you want out of dancing?? For me it was to dance without having to have a partner (!!), and I've grown to love the variety of dances, the music, the movements, and the way that women can have so much fun together! And even more, how much I am learning to love my own body and how it learns things and can move beautifully!
I hope you want to learn for your own reasons, but I would encourage you to see if you can find someone who can guide you - it really makes it easier.

Kharmine

I would recommend getting a good dvd on beginning hatha yoga -- that is far easier to learn that way than belly dance, and will help you to be more flexible and relaxed.

I also recommend finding a class in belly dance as it is much easier to learn at home after you have had some experience learning it in person.

belya2085

Well, actually my husband is Egyptian, so I've been to many Egyptian engagement parties and such, so I've been exposed to the dance and plus I already know a little I just want to get better and my husband and his family will love it if I know how to bellydance. I'm always listening to Arabic music and just want to be able to dance better to it. It makes me wanna move so bad, you know?