Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Raqs Khaliji

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Balahadia View Post
    I orginally learned this dance from Saudis and so I've learned to call it Rags Khaleeji although it's has different names in other Gulf countries. Confusing no?
    Dear Mark,
    In fact, the first article I ever write about Gulf dance was called "Are We Confused Yet?" I use this article and another, and sometimes another one that is not on the site when I teach Gulf or Saudi dance. It can be found in my website library at Raqs Azar. The unpublished article deals with Raqs Najdi Hadith, which is a female couples version of the dance that Leila and I introduced into the U.S. It is basically an interview with Leila about the social and cultural customs of the dance as it is done in central Saudi Arabia. It makes better sense in context of a class and that is why it is not published.
    Love,
    A'isha
    Last edited by Aisha Azar; 09-24-2007 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thread

I adore Egyptian bellydance and Egyptian folk dances and those are the main (or actually only) focus in my study of dance now.

My second love is Turkish Rom (Moon, PLEASE tell me where in the Netherlands you follow classes of this style), but until now I haven't had the chance to follow classes...

Post Thanks / Like

It's not that I really have classes in that style... I have like 2 or 3 lessons per year in that style in Wageningen but I often don't know in advance when that is

Post Thanks / Like

At the moment I am doing Egyptian and learning Turkish moves too; but I'd like to learn some tribal dance, and incorporate Latin American dancing into it too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really interested in building on my knowledge of Tunisian dance. I didn't get a chance to study it for very long in Tunis, but I love the music and those strong twisting movements. Little does my troupe know that it's in their future.... don't tell them! I already have costumes!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tunisian, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Latifa View Post
    I'm really interested in building on my knowledge of Tunisian dance. I didn't get a chance to study it for very long in Tunis, but I love the music and those strong twisting movements. Little does my troupe know that it's in their future.... don't tell them! I already have costumes!!
    Dear Latifa,
    Do you know of a source for getting those ankle bracelets the Tunisian dancers wear?? I have the clothing complete with fibulae, but I can not find those ankle bracelets anywhere.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Latifa,
    Do you know of a source for getting those ankle bracelets the Tunisian dancers wear?? I have the clothing complete with fibulae, but I can not find those ankle bracelets anywhere.
    Regards,
    A'isha
    A'isha, Leila Haddad usually has them for sale at Rakkasah West and Rakkasah East. You could also contact Habiba -- (habibiraqs (at) aol (dot) com. She was in Tunisia this summer and may have some extras.

I was ridiculously excited to find my pair when I was in Tunisia! Happier than a dog with two tails!

Latifa

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sources

Quote Originally Posted by Latifa View Post
    A'isha, Leila Haddad usually has them for sale at Rakkasah West and Rakkasah East. You could also contact Habiba -- (habibiraqs (at) aol (dot) com. She was in Tunisia this summer and may have some extras.

I was ridiculously excited to find my pair when I was in Tunisia! Happier than a dog with two tails!

Latifa
    Dear Latifa,
    Thanks for the source info. They seem so hard to find. How wonderful to pick them up in Tunisia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Egyptian, ATS, and Rachel Brice styled Tribal Fusion. Right now I'm taking basic lessons that are a mix of everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried a bit of a lot of styles, but right now, I'm delving more heavily into Egyptian raqs sharqi, which I am finding quite stimulating. It's something about Egyptian that feels more ... emotionally connected to the music, I guess. It allows my inner actress to shine.

I also want to do melaya leff so badly! It appeals to the sassy little flirt in me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast