Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Makeda Maysa View Post
    I have tried a bit of a lot of styles, but right now, I'm delving more heavily into Egyptian raqs sharqi, which I am finding quite stimulating. It's something about Egyptian that feels more ... emotionally connected to the music, I guess. It allows my inner actress to shine.

I also want to do melaya leff so badly! It appeals to the sassy little flirt in me.
    Oooh, I love milaya leff! I was just starting to teach that to my advanced folkloric students last night. It's soooo much fun. Makes us all sassy little flirts!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Want to Dance in Trinidad - help

Hi, there are a few of us based in Trinidad in the West Indies that are wanting to take belly dancing classes. if anywhere is known that do classes - please, please, please etc reply.http://forum.orientaldancer.net/images/smilies/clap.gif

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dance, etc

Dear JNorth,
    Are you in any way related to that nice young man, Dennis Mitchell, who lived next door to Mr. Wilson?
    Wish I could help with a Trinidad contact. have your tried Googling?
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jnorth2 View Post
    Hi, there are a few of us based in Trinidad in the West Indies that are wanting to take belly dancing classes. if anywhere is known that do classes - please, please, please etc reply.http://forum.orientaldancer.net/images/smilies/clap.gif
    do we not have a trinidad dancer already on this forum???? help please... WHO is she??? mya????!!!??

Post Thanks / Like

Belly_dancer, youre right, that is our Mya from Trinidad.

As for the thread subject. I've been interested in studying Egyptian bellydance and folk dances ever since I started dancing. I dance with a teacher trained in mostly AmCab and Lebanese dance. Throughout my time with her I've been studying Egyptian style also. We're now discovering more of Egyptian dances together. I'm more emotionally drawn to Egyptian dance and music. It seems to really make me dance from within.

I'd love to learn Saudi dances and on my list was Khaleegi.. However still slightly suffering from a neck injury I have been unable to get started with it.

I'd also like to study Turkish Rom more. To answer Yasmina's question, Zafira from Amsterdam does some nice Rom. Also, for Gipsy Festival in Tilburg, Serpil Murtezaoglu visits every year to teach Romani and Trakya workshops that are a lot of fun (Serpil is a wonderful lady, and she sometimes teaches with live musicians present, last year with members of the Trakya All Stars band).

Outside of bellydance I've grown to love modern dance, and would like to get into that. I'm nowhere near taking classes though because they interrupt with my Oriental-dance-lessons-schedule...
    I'd like to learn salsa and flamenco as well. I tried Sevillanas and loved it.

I've found that the more I dance, the more I want to learn.. Not just in bellydance. I took a few jazz classes too a while back. Not for me though. My jazz-chassées were a disaster and onlookers found our 'bellydancer hands' to be quite funny.
    Last edited by Yshka; 10-16-2007 at 11:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear JNorth,
    Are you in any way related to that nice young man, Dennis Mitchell, who lived next door to Mr. Wilson?
    Wish I could help with a Trinidad contact. have your tried Googling?
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Hiya A'isha
    Im afraid not, im originally from the UK, grew up in egypt and am now in the sunny carribean. Yep, have tried googling - not looking too good right now.

Thanks though

Jn

Post Thanks / Like

- Persian Court dance
    - Persian pop/club dance

- and of course more Turkish. Turkish folk, Oriental, whatever.

- Nubian and Sudanese (amazingly hard to find around here)

- Palestinian folk dance

and I think I'm going to branch off and try Hula/Polynesian maybe Tahitian. I think there's somebody in Kentucky or Ohio who teaches Tahitian.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, I'm starting to learn to play the bagpipes. WHEE!

Post Thanks / Like

in order of interest:

khaliji, tunisian, egyptian

some afro-brazilian fusion dances have been so very interesting but hard to find anyone that teaches.

latin ballroom

pop and lock, hehe, i'm teaching myself

and the karabushka, a specific dance i want to relearn because i cannot remember it anymore

Post Thanks / Like

It was great at Rakkasah East to learn some more Tunisian Bedouin and Algerian (modern Ouled nail and other styles) from Leila Haddad!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234