Hello!

Lisa Brooks

I'm new to Oriental Dance of any variety, and plan to start lessons soon. I expect I'll mainly be lurking until I know enough to know what questions I should ask. I have a DVD which is useful for learning basic stuff, but highlights just how much I could use a live teacher. :)

I'm learning a lot just reading the threads and articles here.

Lisa Brooks

Thank you.

I forgot to mention that I did spend a year practicing capoeira in 2000. That's so very much different from this, though.

My memory must be going. 1998? Feh.

Maria_Aya

Welcome in this wonderful forum !
Where are you from?
And welcome to this beautiful dance also

maria aya, greece:)

Lisa Brooks

I'm in the middle of Washington State, sort of. Almost exactly midway between Seattle and Portland (or about 100 miles south of Seattle).

This beautiful dance gave me a sore back last night... But it's worth it, or will be. :) Thank you for the welcome.

gisela

Super Moderator
OOOH, watch out for the sore back. especially if you're learning from a DVD. Be very aware of your posture and tuck your pelvis in. Hope your dvd says something about posture. It's the basics for bellydance and can be very bad for you if you dont do it right.
Just concerned. Enjoy your dancing and welcome!

Lisa Brooks

OOOH, watch out for the sore back. especially if you're learning from a DVD. Be very aware of your posture and tuck your pelvis in. Hope your dvd says something about posture. It's the basics for bellydance and can be very bad for you if you dont do it right.
Just concerned. Enjoy your dancing and welcome!

I ordered Ansuya's Lavish Layers. It seems to be good for basic moves, which is what I was looking for. More importantly, the first topic is posture, and Ansuya emphasizes the posture several times with the isolations.

My back started to get sore because a particular move was giving me trouble, and I couldn't do it and maintain the proper posture. I'll leave that particular move for when I can start classes and focus on the easier upper and lower body isolations until then. Fortunately, my back was only sore for a few hours. I was worried I'd wake up in excruciating pain.

I was more confident of my ability to learn from a DVD before actually trying to learn from the DVD. Every time I practice I really feel how much I need a live teacher. I'm just using the DVD for exercise, now. It can show me individual moves and even ways to combine them, but to really dance, I need a teacher.

Edit: Thank you for the advice, though. I really appreciate it. :)

Last edited: