Light headed in class. :S

Oba Bear

Today during my second class my instructor and I were working on chest lifts. While we were I got really light headed, borderline feinting. I sat down for a minute, then got up again and we worked on my snake arms. After a while it happened again. My teacher said it was either because I ate not too long before class, or I was either taking in too much oxygen, or not getting enough. Has this happened to anyone else? If so is there a way to prevent it? I want to be able to dance without worrying about passing out.

Salome

Administrator
My first thought was that maybe you were hyperventilating - I've heard of several teachers telling their students to 'take a big breath' while learning rib lifts to get the correlation going. Any chance of that?

Aisha Azar

Lightheaded

Dear Oba Bear,
It could be anything from an ear thing to hyperventilation as Salome mentioned, to low or high blood pressure. If it continues I would see my MD. In fact if I were your teacher and it happened again, I would insist on a Dr's permission slip to continue the class. I did that with a girl last year and it was discovered that she has asthma that had gone undetected.
Regards,
A'isha

KuteNurse

There could be a number of reasons why this has happened. From serious to very minor. I would need more of your medical history to help you determine the probem however. If you are a generally healthy person, chances are it is something minor and you do not have much to worry about.

My guess would be you are not breathing during chest lifts. I believe that is a common thing to do. You should not be doing chest lifts so that you can't breath. The next time you try them, try not to lift your chest so much and concentrate on breathing. Hopefully that will cure your problem.

If you are due for a physical, now might be the time to schedule one and you can bring this up with your physician. Hypertension or hypotension can both be causes. Or if you have a store nearby where you can check your blood pressure. I have a good friend who has low blood pressure, (Hypotension), causing her to feel faint. She talked with a pediatric cardiologist I work with and he jokingly told her to keep her tank full. Potassium is helpful for those with low BP. (Bananas) Also, metobolic problems can cause this symptom such as low blood suger, (hypoglycemia). There are just too many diseases etc...to pinpoint what is wrong without any medical history.

To play it safe, a trip to your doctor may not be a bad idea just to make sure there is nothing underlying going on. Good luck and don't give up with your dancing. :dance:

Oba Bear

Thank you for your advise everyone. If it does start to happen again when I practice I'll definitely go see a doctor. I usually never faint or anything like that, so it was pretty weird. I'll try focusing on my breathing next time I try.

charity

are you drinking water? this is exercise and you need to hydrate.

you should definitely do what you can to prevent it, make sure you are nourished and hydrated and breathe naturally and relaxed. if it occurs again, see a doctor.