Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hip Bump ??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hip Bump ??

Hi all,

I am new and not a dancer.

I would like to learn to belly dance and have been surfing the net of various sites and reading.

I came across a site that said if you have a sway back (pants don't fit neatly into back - some gap) that you would have very weak glute muscles and therefore would not be able to do a hip bump.

Is this true?

I have a sway back, not too bad I don't think but I definitely don't have any glute muscles. I cannot isolate left or right glute at all and am wondering whether there are just some people that no matter what will not be able to bellydance. Am I in this category.

I have not started to dance but have bought a DVD (from surfing this site) that would suit the beginner. I don't want to take a class until I know whether I am wasting my time or not but thought a cheap DVD wouldn't hurt to have fun with anyway.

Thanks for any replies.

I am 46 so that would have some bearing on my muscle strength and ability I guess.

Regards

Wendy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi WendyQLD, Welcome to the forum! We're glad you wanted to join us in the world of Oriental dance. As A RN(CRRN) and as a teacher ,I will say rubbish to the first question. Lordosis is the proper term for sway back and the most severe cases involve deep concavity of the lower lumbar skeleton Lordosis.Functional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia lordosis is not as severe and usually is due to poor postural habits in which the abdominal muscles are weak and unable to provide suppport to the lower back. Only a doctor or licensed physical therapist can diagnose lordosis with a goniometer.

With that being said thare isn't any reason why you can't perform a hip bump, once your are in proper dance posture and your weight is appropriately placed to do the movement.

As you begin to dance(move with intention) you will become aware of your body and learn it's limits. Over time you will be pleasantly surprised as to what your body can do. I understand if you want to start with a video to get your feet wet, but if you want to further explore this dance form then please seek out a qualified teacher who can help you correct any mistakes and provide encourgement. ODN has a list of teachers on the navigation bar to the left of the page.

Finally, your chronological age is not as important as your mental age, as this dance form is suited to all body types and ages. I'm 45 and I started dancing when I was 40. To me this is the best time of your life to enjoy this dance.
    Happy Dancing, Yasmine

BTW-CRRN is Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurse. I've worked in Restorative nursing, developing programs for geriatric patients and continue to maintain my certification by attending seminars with orthopedic/rehab physicians in addition to working extensively with OT/PT/ST
    Last edited by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia; 10-03-2007 at 03:23 AM. Reason: more text

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hip Bump?

Thank you Yasmine for your reply. You have made my day!

By the way I love your name. I have a daughter Jasmine not Yasmine but both are just as pretty.

I may be 46 but I don't mentally feel any older than 21. LOL

I will try out my DVD and see how I go. There is a belly dancing class here in Australia where I live so I will give them a call.

Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Regards

Wendy

Post Thanks / Like

I started belly dance at age 48 with a moderate spinal curvature, Wendy, and I didn't have any more problems learning the moves than the young things in my class. There are several other dancers with some kind of scoliosis on this forum, too.

It takes LOTS of practice to get the flexibility and skill, whether one is a fairly athletic kid or not. You won't know what you can really do until you've been at it awhile. But I can guarantee you will get stronger and more flexible if you stick with it. And you'll have probably the best fun you ever had exercising.

If you haven't had a medical checkup and a thorough exam of your back in at least a couple of years, I recommend getting that done so you know for sure what you've got to work with. Then drop in and observe a few local dance classes to get a feel for it, and talk to the teachers about your concerns.

Also, I recommend getting into yoga if you'd like to tone up and improve your flexibility for belly dance. It's a lot easier following a yoga dvd, too.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally agree with Yasmine. I have a mild form of lordosis. I have heard that belly dancing is good for your back and strengthening muscle. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, welcome, welcome, WendyQLD, and away with all preconceived notions of the type of body one needs in order to dance! By now you can see that many dancers have some kind of physical challenge. I am 52 and still dancing despite slowly encroaching arthritis in my hips, knees and feet. It may stop me some day, but for now, dancing helps me stay looser and more limber than I would if I gave up and took to my rocking chair.

V.I.P.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am not far behind you Shanazel. I might just pull up the rocking chair right next to you and knit a sweater or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Welcome, welcome, welcome, WendyQLD, and away with all preconceived notions of the type of body one needs in order to dance! By now you can see that many dancers have some kind of physical challenge. I am 52 and still dancing despite slowly encroaching arthritis in my hips, knees and feet. It may stop me some day, but for now, dancing helps me stay looser and more limber than I would if I gave up and took to my rocking chair.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am not far behind you Shanazel. I might just pull up the rocking chair right next to you and knit a sweater or something.
    I'd come and knit with you but M.E has impacted on my muscles and joints, my fingers are the latest victims (and I'm only in my early 20's).... I need a holiday and a good chiropractor...... but when I'm limber enough to dance, I actually find a great improvement all over.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nicknack

Quote Originally Posted by nicknack View Post
    I'd come and knit with you but M.E has impacted on my muscles and joints, my fingers are the latest victims (and I'm only in my early 20's).... I need a holiday and a good chiropractor...... but when I'm limber enough to dance, I actually find a great improvement all over.
    Dear Nicknack,
    What is M.E.?
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    Dear Nicknack,
    What is M.E.?
    Regards,
    A'isha
    Hi A'isha,

It is called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. It is also know as CFS(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I am also sufferer of this problem. But must tell you all dancing keeps me agile and fit and also helps me to sleep better.

Hugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast