Hip Bump ??

WendyQLD

Hi all,

I am new and not a dancer.

I would like to learn to belly dance and have been surfing the net of various sites and reading.

I came across a site that said if you have a sway back (pants don't fit neatly into back - some gap) that you would have very weak glute muscles and therefore would not be able to do a hip bump.

Is this true?

I have a sway back, not too bad I don't think but I definitely don't have any glute muscles. I cannot isolate left or right glute at all and am wondering whether there are just some people that no matter what will not be able to bellydance. Am I in this category.

I have not started to dance but have bought a DVD (from surfing this site) that would suit the beginner. I don't want to take a class until I know whether I am wasting my time or not but thought a cheap DVD wouldn't hurt to have fun with anyway.

Thanks for any replies.

I am 46 so that would have some bearing on my muscle strength and ability I guess.

Regards

Wendy

Hi WendyQLD, Welcome to the forum! We're glad you wanted to join us in the world of Oriental dance. As A RN(CRRN) and as a teacher ,I will say rubbish to the first question. Lordosis is the proper term for sway back and the most severe cases involve deep concavity of the lower lumbar skeleton Lordosis.Functional - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia lordosis is not as severe and usually is due to poor postural habits in which the abdominal muscles are weak and unable to provide suppport to the lower back. Only a doctor or licensed physical therapist can diagnose lordosis with a goniometer.

With that being said thare isn't any reason why you can't perform a hip bump, once your are in proper dance posture and your weight is appropriately placed to do the movement.

As you begin to dance(move with intention) you will become aware of your body and learn it's limits. Over time you will be pleasantly surprised as to what your body can do. I understand if you want to start with a video to get your feet wet, but if you want to further explore this dance form then please seek out a qualified teacher who can help you correct any mistakes and provide encourgement. ODN has a list of teachers on the navigation bar to the left of the page.

Finally, your chronological age is not as important as your mental age, as this dance form is suited to all body types and ages. I'm 45 and I started dancing when I was 40. To me this is the best time of your life to enjoy this dance.
Happy Dancing, Yasmine

BTW-CRRN is Certified Rehabilitation Registered Nurse. I've worked in Restorative nursing, developing programs for geriatric patients and continue to maintain my certification by attending seminars with orthopedic/rehab physicians in addition to working extensively with OT/PT/ST

Last edited:

WendyQLD

Hip Bump?

Thank you Yasmine for your reply. You have made my day!

By the way I love your name. I have a daughter Jasmine not Yasmine but both are just as pretty.

I may be 46 but I don't mentally feel any older than 21. LOL

I will try out my DVD and see how I go. There is a belly dancing class here in Australia where I live so I will give them a call.

Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.

Regards

Wendy

Kharmine

I started belly dance at age 48 with a moderate spinal curvature, Wendy, and I didn't have any more problems learning the moves than the young things in my class. There are several other dancers with some kind of scoliosis on this forum, too.

It takes LOTS of practice to get the flexibility and skill, whether one is a fairly athletic kid or not. You won't know what you can really do until you've been at it awhile. But I can guarantee you will get stronger and more flexible if you stick with it. And you'll have probably the best fun you ever had exercising.

If you haven't had a medical checkup and a thorough exam of your back in at least a couple of years, I recommend getting that done so you know for sure what you've got to work with. Then drop in and observe a few local dance classes to get a feel for it, and talk to the teachers about your concerns.

Also, I recommend getting into yoga if you'd like to tone up and improve your flexibility for belly dance. It's a lot easier following a yoga dvd, too.

KuteNurse

I totally agree with Yasmine. I have a mild form of lordosis. I have heard that belly dancing is good for your back and strengthening muscle. Give it a try and see how it works for you.

Shanazel

Welcome, welcome, welcome, WendyQLD, and away with all preconceived notions of the type of body one needs in order to dance! By now you can see that many dancers have some kind of physical challenge. I am 52 and still dancing despite slowly encroaching arthritis in my hips, knees and feet. It may stop me some day, but for now, dancing helps me stay looser and more limber than I would if I gave up and took to my rocking chair.

KuteNurse

Well, I am not far behind you Shanazel. I might just pull up the rocking chair right next to you and knit a sweater or something.

Welcome, welcome, welcome, WendyQLD, and away with all preconceived notions of the type of body one needs in order to dance! By now you can see that many dancers have some kind of physical challenge. I am 52 and still dancing despite slowly encroaching arthritis in my hips, knees and feet. It may stop me some day, but for now, dancing helps me stay looser and more limber than I would if I gave up and took to my rocking chair.

nicknack

Well, I am not far behind you Shanazel. I might just pull up the rocking chair right next to you and knit a sweater or something.

I'd come and knit with you but M.E has impacted on my muscles and joints, my fingers are the latest victims (and I'm only in my early 20's).... I need a holiday and a good chiropractor...... but when I'm limber enough to dance, I actually find a great improvement all over.

Aisha Azar

Nicknack

I'd come and knit with you but M.E has impacted on my muscles and joints, my fingers are the latest victims (and I'm only in my early 20's).... I need a holiday and a good chiropractor...... but when I'm limber enough to dance, I actually find a great improvement all over.

Dear Nicknack,
What is M.E.?
Regards,
A'isha

janaki

Dear Nicknack,
What is M.E.?
Regards,
A'isha

Hi A'isha,

It is called Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. It is also know as CFS(Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I am also sufferer of this problem. But must tell you all dancing keeps me agile and fit and also helps me to sleep better.

Hugs

nicknack

Dancing is the best exercise ever, not only is it low impact with an emphasis on flexibility, it's great for reducing stress (which is a contributing factor when it comes to a stiff neck and back). I know swimming's supposed to be great, but if I go anywhere near a pool I can't help but go at it like I did when I used to compete:rolleyes:

Aisha Azar

M.E., etc.

Dancing is the best exercise ever, not only is it low impact with an emphasis on flexibility, it's great for reducing stress (which is a contributing factor when it comes to a stiff neck and back). I know swimming's supposed to be great, but if I go anywhere near a pool I can't help but go at it like I did when I used to compete:rolleyes:

Dear Nicknack and Janaki,
Did it used to be known as Epstein- Barr Syndrome??
Regards,
A'isha

charity

Hi all,

I came across a site that said if you have a sway back (pants don't fit neatly into back - some gap) that you would have very weak glute muscles and therefore would not be able to do a hip bump.

Is this true?

I have a sway back, not too bad I don't think but I definitely don't have any glute muscles. I cannot isolate left or right glute at all and am wondering whether there are just some people that no matter what will not be able to bellydance. Am I in this category.

Wendy

hi wendy. i love your name. it is so unusual.

i never had any problem with belly dance despite all my physical deformities. well thats what i call them, random achy knees, stiff kneck, painful shoulders...common problems i think except for when you're TOO young to be having "common problems" :(

whoever said that about sway back...geez:rolleyes: every body is different. and so i am just now working on isolating glutes and that has nothing to do with if you're glutes are "developed" or not or rather if you have butt or not. that is an isolation that takes time and hard work.

if perhaps you want to progress more rapidly in isolating the glutes, do some glute exercises. it helps to establish where the muslce is and how it should be moving.

if belly dance moves dont just occur to you, well thats the norm versus knowing how to do it right off the bat. its not an indication of physical incapability.

besides you can train your body or untrain it, to do anything, in time, with patience and perserverence.

plus if you are having fun with belly dance, you're not really wasting time or money.

adiemus

Eppstein Barr is the virus that is thought to be associated with chronic fatigue syndrome, ME and a bunch of other problems that slow people down.

Exercise is great for all these problems, including chronic pain! But you do have to grade yourself in gently (or else you know you'll overdo it and pay the price either in fatigue or pain!).

I started middle eastern dancing this year, also have lordosis, and I'm a chronic pain psychologist with occ therapy background - so feel a bit informed about the subject!!! I've found personally that dancing has helped so much with my posture like you wouldn't believe! I need to keep remembering to use my abs to tilt my pelvis back to where it ought to be (neutral), but it really has helped.
I also have a postconcussion syndrome so am very fatigued, and stressed - I tell you, dancing is the Best Way (apart from sex) to relieve stress! And it helps the brain learn to be agile again too - I find 30 mins practice even just doing basic drills is a great way to wake up and feel better (and the music is great).

BTW lordosis means you have good back extensors, usually shortened quads and lengthened hamstrings, with weaker abdominals (although there are a bunch of different muscles involved). You need to work on all of these to change your posture, and because it involves changing what feels 'normal' it will take time and concentration - but it will happen!!

Use a mirror or a video so you can see how you do the moves, and make sure you get a teacher rather than relying on an instructional DVD. I have the DVD's as well because that helps me remember what the moves looked like in between classes, but my classes with a teacher are the best way to get feedback!!

Enjoy dancing - it's amazing fun!!

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

ME etc.

Eppstein Barr is the virus that is thought to be associated with chronic fatigue syndrome, ME and a bunch of other problems that slow people down.

Exercise is great for all these problems, including chronic pain! But you do have to grade yourself in gently (or else you know you'll overdo it and pay the price either in fatigue or pain!).

I started middle eastern dancing this year, also have lordosis, and I'm a chronic pain psychologist with occ therapy background - so feel a bit informed about the subject!!! I've found personally that dancing has helped so much with my posture like you wouldn't believe! I need to keep remembering to use my abs to tilt my pelvis back to where it ought to be (neutral), but it really has helped.
I also have a postconcussion syndrome so am very fatigued, and stressed - I tell you, dancing is the Best Way (apart from sex) to relieve stress! And it helps the brain learn to be agile again too - I find 30 mins practice even just doing basic drills is a great way to wake up and feel better (and the music is great).

BTW lordosis means you have good back extensors, usually shortened quads and lengthened hamstrings, with weaker abdominals (although there are a bunch of different muscles involved). You need to work on all of these to change your posture, and because it involves changing what feels 'normal' it will take time and concentration - but it will happen!!

Use a mirror or a video so you can see how you do the moves, and make sure you get a teacher rather than relying on an instructional DVD. I have the DVD's as well because that helps me remember what the moves looked like in between classes, but my classes with a teacher are the best way to get feedback!!

Enjoy dancing - it's amazing fun!!

Dear Adiemus,
I have a friend who was diagnosed with Epstein-Barr and she told me that there is a town in the States where almost EVERY person in the town has it. This began to rise questions about it being an environmental disease. I can't really remember any of the details, unfortunately. Have you ever heard anything about that?
Regards,
A'isha

adiemus

Hi A'isha
there is a whole town in southern NZ that has a high prevalence of Epstein Barr, so much so we used to call it 'Tapanui' flu which is the name of the town (Tapanui, that is, said 'tapp- ah- noo - ee', it's a Maori name).
Actually if you take a blood test, almost all of us have the virus, it's just that only some of us end up having symptoms, and this seems to depend on a combination of things including individual genetic vulnerability, psychosocial factors such as mood, anxiety, family support, stress, and quite often time of year!
The main 'treatment' is good healthy eating, good sleep, strong relationships, exercise, and cognitive behavioural therapy...

PM me if you want more info
cheers
Bronnie

Aisha Azar

Epstein-Barr

Hi A'isha
there is a whole town in southern NZ that has a high prevalence of Epstein Barr, so much so we used to call it 'Tapanui' flu which is the name of the town (Tapanui, that is, said 'tapp- ah- noo - ee', it's a Maori name).
Actually if you take a blood test, almost all of us have the virus, it's just that only some of us end up having symptoms, and this seems to depend on a combination of things including individual genetic vulnerability, psychosocial factors such as mood, anxiety, family support, stress, and quite often time of year!
The main 'treatment' is good healthy eating, good sleep, strong relationships, exercise, and cognitive behavioural therapy...

PM me if you want more info
cheers
Bronnie

Dear Adiemus,
Wow!! Thanks, I will do that.
Regards,
A'isha

charity

how did your post get in this thread. but i wrote that.

i dont know if its all that uncommon. my relative has that name and it never seem to fit too many people. unlike debbie or susan or heather or angie, i can imagine a lot of different people with that name but wendy is a name that seems only fitting for those that do have it.

i cant explain much more than that. its just that name that is like that- to me.- that is all...nothing more.

how did your post get in this thread. but i wrote that.

i dont know if its all that uncommon. my relative has that name and it never seem to fit too many people. unlike debbie or susan or heather or angie, i can imagine a lot of different people with that name but wendy is a name that seems only fitting for those that do have it.

i cant explain much more than that. its just that name that is like that- to me.- that is all...nothing more.
Ohk, im sorry, i honestly thought you were perhaps being rude, becuz Wendy isnt at all unusual to me so it appeared to me as sarcasm:lol:,, i really just wanted to know where you were coming from... i understand what you meant now though:)