Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bellydancing references in current music

Just for fun....

The whole Bassnectar - Snake Charmer thing has inspired me to make a mix cd of songs that have references to bellydancing to give to some of my bellydancing classmates. I thought I'd check on here and see what ideas you all had for what to include. I'm not really looking for authentic bellydancing music, so much as just fun current songs that reference bellydancing in some way.

Here's what I have so far:
    Bassnectar - Snake Charmer (the song that started it all! )
    Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha (Busta Rhymes says "like a bellydancer" during his rap portion of the song)
    Shakira - Hips Don't Lie (this one's a little bit of a stretch, but I really like this song!)
    Akon - Bellydancer/Bonanza ("go bonanza, shake your body like a belly dancer")

What else can you think of to add?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Songs w.belly dance references

Dear Group,
    There have been songs like this forever!!
    A few that I can think of off the top of my head:

Stop, Stop Stop- By the Hollies, from about the mid-1960s. This guy gets thrown out of a club every week because of his absolute total fascinationm with the belly dancer. I guess he gets a little overboard in his appreciation. "Stop, Stop, Stop all the dancing give me time to breathe. Stop stop, stop all the dancing or I'll have to leave." He mentions "cymbols on her fingers" and other belly dance references. (This is my favorite western song that referenecs a belly dancer!! I even own a copy of it!!))

Midnight at the Oasis- Maria Muldaur- Song a about girl trying to seduce a guy in the desert. "I'll be your belly dancer and you can be my sheikh." Late 1970s

Little Egypt... at least I think that what it's called... References a guy seeing belly dancer at a fair, but I can't remember the group's name.. Early 1960s

Ahab the Arab: Forget the Artist's name, but the song mentione Fatima, "with rigns on her fingers and bells on her toes and a bone in her nose, hoho". I think the song came out in the early 70s????

Nothing new under the sun, as they say.
    Regards,
    A'isha

Post Thanks / Like

Don't Know What to Tell Ya - Aaliyah

This one doesn't reference bellydance directly, but I want to mention it because it sounds like they pulled a section straight from Warda's Bitwannes Beek to make the song.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Little Egypt

After A'isha mentioned it, though I'd look it up, because I once saw Jacqui Jamal do a nice routine to it.

Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller penned a song entitled Little Egypt that was a 1961 hit for The Coasters. Elvis Presley performed the song extolling the virtues of belly dancers in his 1964 film, Roustabout and included it in his legendary 1968 TV special, Elvis. (thank you Wikipedia)

Can't think of any bellydance references of my own, as I've suddenly got "she wears red feathers and a hula hula skirt" invading my brain. Not quite bellydance...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ahab the Arab

Quote Originally Posted by A'isha Azar View Post
    ...Ahab the Arab: Forget the Artist's name, but the song mentione Fatima, "with rigns on her fingers and bells on her toes and a bone in her nose, hoho". I think the song came out in the early 70s????...
    Oh yes, I almost forgot about that one. Ray Stevens is the artist, a great comedic singer/musician. I even saw him in concert at a state fair once!
    Last edited by Andaleeb; 07-31-2006 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't necessarily enjoy these songs, but they mention Belly Dance, so I thought I would add them to your list.

Belly Dance - Crossroad
    Belly Dance - CoCo Lee
    Belly Dance - K-N-S
    Belly Dancer - Bevan Manson

Post Thanks / Like

"Big Pimpin'" by Jay Z samples in classical Arabic music but my special favourite is Eminem and "Ass like that" ...I would like to see a dancer who dares to create a dance for that

Danish band Outlandish has also a song named Bellydance (and they have also Ok version of Aisha by Khaled)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andaleeb
    Pussycat Dolls - Don't Cha (Busta Rhymes says "like a bellydancer" during his rap portion of the song)
    haha I already wandered why this song was part of the list, but I don't like listening to it (I really HATE that song to be honest )

What about Shakira's "Ojos Asi"? I don't think there are bellydance references in it, but I like the rhythm (and ofcourse Shakira is sort of "bellydancing" herself on it in the video clip )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon
    haha I already wandered why this song was part of the list, but I don't like listening to it (I really HATE that song to be honest )
    It's playing on the radio at this right moment (on Caz!), now whenever I'll hear it I'll remember that you hate it LOL

Talking about the Pussycat Dolls, the music of their new song "Buttons" has a bit of an oriental twist, me finds..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mariyam
    It's playing on the radio at this right moment (on Caz!), now whenever I'll hear it I'll remember that you hate it LOL
    LOL Is that positive or negative?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast