Hello from North Carolina!

KuteNurse

Hi Sara,
I am glad you found us! How long have you been dancing? Your picture is beautiful! I am under a year for dancing...Almost brand new, but I am learning and having a great time. I hope you like it here as much as I do. There are lots of wonderful dancers with good advice and good entertainment. HINT: The games are FUN! Welcome and Happy surfing.

SaraKat

Hi KuteNurse! I've been dancing for about 5 and a half years. Since then, bellydance has completely taken over my life! (in a good way, of course.)
Who do you dance with in Asheville, Tina? I know some of the dancers out there b/c my sister goes to school at UNCA.

TinaL

I take lessons at the West Asheville Rec Center on Monday nights with a lady named SuResha. I like her alot. She's such a "lady"! She's traveled alot, but has been teaching in this area for years, I guess. I've only been taking lessons for about a year, and know I haveALOT to learn! I'd like to also take lessons with another lady here in town, but haven't had the time. One of the nurses I work with takes lessons from her and loves her. Mahsati Janan? (I sure hope I've spelled her name right!)

SaraKat

Asim! OMG Hi! How are you doing? We missed you at the NCBellydance anniversary show. Are you going to any events in the next few months?

asim

Asim! OMG Hi! How are you doing? We missed you at the NCBellydance anniversary show. Are you going to any events in the next few months?
I missed you guys, too! I have a family situation that's making my ability to commit somewhat suspect. And, sadly, that goes for the near future as well, at least the next month or two. :(

Hopefully soon things'll settle out, and I'll be around more! I'm going to try really hard to come out for Samantha Riggs in Asheville...

charity

hi, welcome. i'm in NC too, Boone. i was taking lessons in granite falls. maybe you know the drive-risky, if the weather is not optimal...well coming from this side of the mountain anyway.

are you part of any local/NC BD forum? i'm not but need to be because i am desperately wanting to attend some workshops but am so far out of the BD loop that i never get the 411 in time.

its so fun to have other NC belly dancers on here.

SaraKat

I'm sorry to hear that about your family, Asim. I'm going to try to make it to the Samantha Riggs workshop too, so hopefully I'll see you there! :D

Charity, I don't know of any local forums like this one, but there is always the CarolinaBellydancers Yahoo group. If you go to Yahoo Groups and search for that name, you will find it.

Chani

Hi SaraKat,

I enjoyed looking at your website. I loved what you had to say about criticism of young girls bodies and wanted to share my thoughts about that.

My daughter is 7yo and takes hip hop, jazz and starting next week belly dancing. She is very healthy and strong - hardly ever gets ill and if she does recovers in half the time of her friends. She has stamina - can cycle with me and keep up for an hour without a break. She enjoys her food and has a very healthy diet - lots of fresh homecooked meals, limited junk, mostly treats are healthy and homebaked. She loves to work in our veggie patch, cook and shop for food with us, and she has a great understanding of nutrition. She is not skinny like her younger sister who has no padding to speak of but she's no where close to overweight. Like her brother was at her age (he is now a very thin and lanky teenager) she is what I would call sturdy.

Sadly, she has been called fat by a number of other young girls at the playground - one girl was only 4yo who said this. If she ever asks for seconds of cake at a birthday party adults will make google eyes as if she must routinely overeat. Yesterday my mother commented that she eats too much and I should put her on a diet. She is a growing girl and I would never dream of putting her on a weight loss diet.

She also has lovely olive skin. I find it beautiful. I think it is also a plus in our Australian cliimate where sun exposure and skin cancer are big problems.

I worry that at her dance school (hip hop and jazz) she doesn't fit the desired profile of Blonde and stick thin. Her instructor is a brunette and doesn't have the classic ballet figure and she says she does miss out on work because she doesn't have "the look". I thought our society was more evolved than this.

Anyhoo, this has become a very long post. My point is that I am so happy that she is now taking belly dancing. It should to some degree counteract the body conscious culture at her other school. It will show her that women of all shapes and sizes and ages can be beautiful and can move beautifully. Her bulid might even be an asset compared to mine - I'm a scrawny belly dancer I'm afraid.

I loved the clip of you and your sister dancing together. Good luck with Sparkle Oasis.

Chan

Maria_Aya

Welcome Sara in this wonderful forum!
Enjoy reading and posting

Loved your site, photos and videos, continue the great work

Maria Aya, Greece :)

SaraKat

Thank you for sharing your story with me, Chani. I hope your daughter can find a more positive and supportive environment in her bellydance classes. I wish I had started when I was that young! I'm always a little bit envious of those that can... ;)
I think this dance is one of the best things we can give to our daughters.

Also, thank you Maria Aya for the compliments, I'm glad you enjoyed looking at my website!