HELP - Moroccan wedding

Ranya

Hi everyone!
I have been asked to dance at a wedding on the 20th of october (in two weeks). I think that the couple is Moroccan. I have never seen or danced on a moroccan wedding before. I saw some wedding from the Mashreq (lebanese, palestinian...) but I am not sure about moroccan. Can you please help me?

What are the customs? can I use the zaffa march with the particular rhythm (or is it not used in Morocco)? whom can I take to dance with me and whom not? (mother of bride, mother of groom, the couple....)

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much!

Kharmine

Ranya, seems to me the best people to ask what they want is the couple being wed!

Can you contact them to find out what they'd prefer? They would very likely have someone in mind who would be willing to lead dancing -- there's always that gregarious uncle or wacky cousin!

belly_dancer

yes definitely ask!!!!
I just danced @ an "egyptian" wedding.... but only like 10% of the guests were egyptian.... & only 2 actually had been to egypt.. (& they had seen me dance at a restaaurant previous, so requested my sword dance.... did not care about "authenticity"...!!!)
another time I danced for an asian wedding.... turns out the grooms adopted father is arabic.... & the wedding was full of "old school" arabs..... I have found I can give a show THEY want ONLY by asking LOTS of questions!!!!!!

Ranya

Yes that is what I planned to do actually. I will try to do it next week. But anyway, I guess there are things that are just (supposed to be) evident. I know that the weddings I saw before (but not danced at), the mothers of the groom and the bride were taken up to dance. But I am not sure that is done everywhere, and I kind of do not feel asking this one. Thank you very much all the same, and I will of course keep you all posted on this

Ranya

Thanks a lot Mark!
But....Oh oh, I don't think I can do that, dunno HOW to. I am masriye/mashreqye, if you get me? ;-)
But I will ask the restaurant owner if he can put some moroccan shaabi music on, and I will have the guests dance to it. :-D
Thanks again, worthy information, always useful!