New dancer in Sydney, Australia

Chani

Hi Group,

It's great to be here. I am a very early learner - my 5th class is this week.

I have always wanted to dance. Growing up the arts were not highly regarded by my parents and we never had the money for dance class. So I was never allowed to take classes and my new passion is realy a dream come true. My brother took up dancing a year ago and has just confessed that he has also secretly wanted to dance his whole life - none of us had any idea. He is loving his dance too and is so talented he has joined a touring dance troupe.

This past year has been devistating for me - I had to put my elderly and ailing father into a home, I lost a baby midway through my pregnancy and my eldest child was badly burned in a work accident (he is recovering well). Just to top things off I learned that my husband of 15 years was having an affair with a woman 20 years my junior. I lost all my confidence in my body and in myself as a woman. I had to learn how to be again and pick myself up and try to mend myself and get my life back.

So here I am finally doing something for myself and I"m absolutely loving it. I've become quite obsessed with all things belly dancing related. I am finding it very healing. It's been a great distraction when I am feeling low and in only 4 weeks I can see a change in my body. It's lovely to take the time for myself and I've met some lovely women in my class. My teacher is great, very inspiring and has a way of boosting our confidence in all areas of our lives (not just dance).

I'm pretty terrible at belly dancing. I confess that did expect it to be easier. I realised the first class that while I'm fit I am far from a natural for this kind of thing and that I'll need to work very hard to "get there". I'm up for a challenge though.

I have two daughters who are 3yo and 7yo and they practice with me and they are getting very good - my 7yo who has taken dance classes for 4 years is very, very good.

It's so nice to find this forum with so much sharing.

Chani

Last edited:

Shakeelah

Welcome to the forum from across the ditch in Auckland, NZ! ;)

I used to live in Sydney many years ago now, and loved every minute of it. It is a vibrant city, and as I understand it, has a great dance scene now, so I am sure you will have a fantastic time discovering this wonderful dance form on your way to rebuilding your life!

Shakeelah

BellyDance Girl

Hello!!!!

I'm in my 5th week as well!!!! We'll be learning together at the same time - but across the world!!!

Plus, how good could either of us be if we are only in our 5th week?

And, off the subject, I have a friend here in the States who does a radio show devoted to Australian/Southern Hemisphere inspired music. Most of it rock my Melbourne and Sidney bands. She lived in Melbourne for 12 years. You can listen and/or download her program, called "Across the Broad" at WRUW - 91.1 FM - Program Guide : Across the Broad. The college station is WRUW.org

Last edited:

Chani

Thanks for the welcomes.

Belly Dance Girl - that is a great radio programme. I am listening to it now. Yes, we can't expect to get ahead of ourselves. My teacher says week 5 is when it starts to fall into place for most students. Slowly but surely we will get there. My 5th class is tonight and as usual I've been looking forward to it since I woke up this morning. Oh, and I bought myself some dance shoes (we are studying on acrylic carpet and it was painful) so I really feel the part now.

((((shimmy shimmy))))

Chani

BellyDance Girl

I'm glad you found and like the station! She's introduced me to a lot of great sounds from Down Under.

Hope you have a great 5th lesson! I just came home from my 5th. It DOES start to fall into place. Steps that were difficult the first two weeks are become almost natural. We're working with zils now. It's almost like patting your head and rubbing your stomach the first time you put them on and work steps! I got better with them and the steps by the end of the class.

Chani

Oh, I just ordered some zills off ebay yesterday. It sounds tricky. I don't see them mentioned on my class programme though. I hope we will be learning them too. Tonight we start veil work. Yay. My class is on late - it starts at my usual bed time so today I am going to try to have a nap of some description. Not sure if I can sleep in the day but I was yawning my head off last week. At least I wasn't the only one. We are on daylight savings time so when that reverts back soon my class will be on at the same clock time but will actuallybe starting an hour earlier in the day which will make a difference.

Chani

Chani

Thanks Moda Lyla! Yes, I'm far from the US and have never visited there. There seems to be a pretty happening belly dancing scene here in Sydney although nothing like over there.

Chani

Lydia

Hi Chani....So sorry to read about bumpy road...dont worry today is another day !! stick with us overhere we will make you smile ! and stick with your bellydance it,s a great healer and medicine i promise you that,have a great day and happy dancing Lydia

Chani

Thanks everyone. I feel very welcome.

I agree that dance is a great healer. I have felt this very much. I am not the only woman in my class who is reclaiming her life through belly dance. We joke that we are a bunch of Desperate Housewives. Some of us are damaged emotionally and others have had health problems. My family tell me that I am on a high when I return from class and they have been happy for me to be doing something that I obviously love. Sometimes I find it frustrating being a beginner but when I can switch my brain off I feel my spirit soar.

BTW my husband, despite being the cause of much of my heartache, is a changed man. He is completely remorseful for the hurt he has caused and is doing everything he can to make amends and help me heal. He is now the beautiful man I always saw inside of him and the husband I always dreamed of. He is thrilled that I am doing things for myself and especially that I am belly dancing. He's taken up Arabic drumming so that he can accompany me.

Amulya, my teachers' name is Josefina. Everybody just loves her. She is a local woman and very well known and respected around here. The energy she brings to class is awesome. She understands that many of us are unsure and struggling but she has a way of building our confidence and making us want to extend ourselves. I consider her a friend already. I have seen her dance out of class at a festival and she was captivating. I'm totally a fan. Can you tell? LOL

Chani