UK'ers we need your help

lizaj

Hey all,

we are rebuilding the instructors directory. It was getting to big to be user friendly in the structure it was in.

We are wondering if any of you know of a website that has crests or flags of the provinces we've listed here Belly Dance Classes in United Kingdom

Administrative regions are called counties and boroughs and I'm sure there is such a website. I'll have a look. For dancers in the big cities you could use their logos.

karena

Salome
Do you want other comments? There are some counties missing, and some are regions rather than counties eg Yorkshire is made up of south, north, west and the east riding but you have West Yorkshire and Yorkshire both listed, so eg for Leeds it would need to be in both places. Doesn't matter if this is your intention.
Also a techy thing, it doesn't display properly on my screen. It seems to show each place twice, once overtyped over the other so is illegible. I can see them when they're loading so get to see those at the end of the list before they are then overtyped. I'm using Firefox on a MacBook.

Sorry if you didn't want other comments, as I've just done it anyway :redface:

karena

The UK has a very complicated local government structure so this may be a little more complicated that it may appear.

The link above gives administrative counties, but it doesn't then give full coverage as not everywhere is in an administrative county (for example try and find the East Riding of Yorkshire). Some are in unitary authority administrative areas eg Leeds (West Yorks), Kingston-Upon-Hull (East Riding of Yorks).

So Salome, what might have seemed a simple thing actually becomes really complicated. This link gives far more information that you would ever want about UK counties (unless like me you secretly find these things interesting ;)), but basically explains the differences. Home Page of the Association of British Counties website

Essentially for your purposes it means there isn't necessarily a logo for all the counties, there are for the administrative boundaries but they aren't usually used in this way. For example if I saw a list of counties and was looking for classes in Kingston Upon Hull , I would look for Yorkshire or East Riding of Yorkshire, or even East Yorkshire but not Kingston Upon Hull as that is a city. There will be a logo for Kingston Upon Hull not the county (unless there are more out there than have already been provided but that looked pretty comprehensive). And if you went down the road of administrative areas, there are some which are created for administrative purposes but don't really mean anything to the people that live there.

Sorry if this is very long winded. I'm really trying to be helpful but it's hard to explain the nuances of why there isn't a logo for every county. Hope this makes sense...

Eshta

Hi Salome,

We're a complicated lot, aren't we?!

How about:

Scotland
Northern Ireland
Ireland (a little help here please!)
Wales

England - north
England - midlands
England - London
England - South East
England - South West

Not sure about what to use for images, but I wouldn't know the county logos. I would imagine the north an midlands could probably do with breaking down, but not sure how that works as I'm a southern monkey, and we believe that anything north of watford is just a frozen wasteland :D Only joking Northern dancers, please don't flame me!!

lizaj

www.sefton.gov.uk - the official website of Sefton Council

this is the website of my Metropolitan Borough- it's a sub-region of Merseyside which of course has Liverpool at its' heart. You can see the white cross on a blue background is a nice simple logo but I wonder what this actually means to strangerswho won't look at it and recognise it instantly for what it is. Some "logo" such as the red rose of Lancashire and white rose of Yorlshire are easily identifiable but smaller admin counties and borough their logos may not be so recognizable.
I note wikipedia has county crests but these are very elaborate historical badges .

karena

Hi Salome,

We're a complicated lot, aren't we?!

How about:

Scotland
Northern Ireland
Ireland (a little help here please!)
Wales

England - north
England - midlands
England - London
England - South East
England - South West

Not sure about what to use for images, but I wouldn't know the county logos. I would imagine the north an midlands could probably do with breaking down, but not sure how that works as I'm a southern monkey, and we believe that anything north of watford is just a frozen wasteland :D Only joking Northern dancers, please don't flame me!!

Now that's an excellent idea. I've had a look at the statutory regions for England and they are:
North East
North West
Yorkshire and Humber
West Midlands
East Midlands
East of England
South West
London
South East

Now each region's development agency has a logo, but I personally think it would look really odd to use them. You would seem really allied to the regional development agency which wouldn't be right. They are here though:England's Regional Development Agencies :: Home

And I wont tell you what we up here hear about you down there in the South, Eshta! ;)

Eshta

:) Hehe, I reckon I've got off lightly there!

Nice one Karena, those divisions make lots of sense to me. Counties are great but just too narrow. I would have to search about 4 counties to cover the areas I would consider travelling to, and there's no general consensus on whether my town is in a county or a London borough so it's doubly confusing!

karena

Yes, where i grew up - London phone number, Surrey post code, Surrey water, London school, London poll tax, Surrey college, buses that go over the border and charge you extra when they do. It seems so crazy when you then try and explain when someone asks the question.

Now you see why you got off lightly ;), a foot in both camps...

Salome

Administrator
wow, this great information. I'm glad I asked since ultimately we want it to be easy to navigate for the user. I'll share what folks have posted so far with Anatoliy.

Eshta

Yes, where i grew up - London phone number, Surrey post code, Surrey water, London school, London poll tax, Surrey college, buses that go over the border and charge you extra when they do. It seems so crazy when you then try and explain when someone asks the question.

Now you see why you got off lightly ;), a foot in both camps...

Sounds like you grew up near where I live! I say it's Surrey if I'm trying to be pretentious, and London if I'm trying to be cosmopolitan ;)! Hahaha!

karena

Sounds like you grew up near where I live! I say it's Surrey if I'm trying to be pretentious, and London if I'm trying to be cosmopolitan ;)! Hahaha!

Yes but i always find if I say London, when then people ask for more detail they say "that's not London" and vice versa. Can't win!:rolleyes: