Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping feet flat during hip downs, mayas...

Hi,, I find it IMPOSSIBLE to keep my heels on the floor when doing mayas,, is it a solid rule that heels must stay on the floor during a hip down,, its soo hard!! feels like its not possible for me, i always get tip toed...

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem at first and I noticed it made a huge difference for me to bend my knees more. This way you create more "space" for the hip to go up without having to lift your heels off the ground.
    Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhairedbellydancer View Post
    Hi,, I find it IMPOSSIBLE to keep my heels on the floor when doing mayas,, is it a solid rule that heels must stay on the floor during a hip down,, its soo hard!! feels like its not possible for me, i always get tip toed...
    Nope its not solid rule, special in arabic style, where mayas also are not so much used.

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moon View Post
    I had the same problem at first and I noticed it made a huge difference for me to bend my knees more. This way you create more "space" for the hip to go up without having to lift your heels off the ground.
    Good luck
    I am a BIG believer in flat footed movements... (in my head... if you can do it the "hard way" then you can do it both ways.... if only the easy (lifting heels) way, then you will not be able to do both ways....)
    for instance... if you lift your heels.... try to go all the way down to a squat (doing mayas)
    much easier if your feet are NOT involved with the movement!

bending the knees will help ALOT to take your feet out of it....
    after you can do it with your knees "driving" the movement...

then get your hips/obliques to "drive" the movement.... remember the emphasis is on the DOWNward push of the hips... not on the UP which you would tend to get with the lifted heels....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belly_dancer View Post
    I am a BIG believer in flat footed movements... (in my head... if you can do it the "hard way" then you can do it both ways.... if only the easy (lifting heels) way, then you will not be able to do both ways....)
    for instance... if you lift your heels.... try to go all the way down to a squat (doing mayas)
    much easier if your feet are NOT involved with the movement!

bending the knees will help ALOT to take your feet out of it....
    after you can do it with your knees "driving" the movement...

then get your hips/obliques to "drive" the movement.... remember the emphasis is on the DOWNward push of the hips... not on the UP which you would tend to get with the lifted heels....
    thanx , youre right,, the hard way is the best way to learn,, it would probably make it more pronounced too,,im gona work on this

Post Thanks / Like

Well i tried doing it feet as flat as i could and wow,, i really feel it in the side glute area?? should it be felt there ?( like the saddlebag area? lol)

Post Thanks / Like

Well i tried doing it feet as flat as i could and wow,, i really feel it in the side glute area?? should it be felt there ?( like the saddlebag area? lol)
    Yes, yes and yes!!!! As Maria indicates mayas are not used much True Egyptian style dance, but it is a staple in American oriental. IMO, it is neither right or wrong when using the feet to perfrom a maya it just depends on what you want to projectin the dance. By keeping your feet flat, you need to keep a deeper plie in the knees as Moon suggest. Not only will your hips have more room to move but you will engage the obliques and glutes to create the snaky motion of your hips.
    Once you get used to these muscles powering the maya, you can effectively perfom level changes down and up without using your feet. Try practicing the maya in place for 4 counts, then up on releve for 4 counts and then downward for 4 counts. Great exercise for your muscular development.
    Yasmine
    Last edited by Yasmine Bint Al Nubia; 10-14-2007 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added more text

Post Thanks / Like

It is not necessary, HOWEVER I think that if you can't do them with your heals down, you aren't using the correct muscles.

If you lift your feet to make your hip go up, you are not using your waist/torso muscles, and also you are moving your unweighted hip. That's really cheating. It doesn't look controlled, fluid and muscular. I do this move as a weighted hip move. In other words, I move my right hip up, out, and down while I have most of my weight on my right leg.

Try drawing small vertical circles one hip at a time before you put them together for the figure 8.

Sedonia

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good info on this move. A lot of people have a hard time mastering it. As with all the slow moves, it should look smooth, relaxed and effortless. Lifting the feet makes it look like work. It doesn't have to be done totally flatfooted though. It can be done on the balls of your feet, especially if you want to descend with it.

Egyptians use it, but like many things, some movements come in and out of fashion. Right now, I see variations of it being done. They isloate it on one side and then descend with it. Fifi Abdu did this a lot.

Simple way to approach it, we'll start on the right hip for the sake of this explanation: Feet flat, knees bent, like the others told you. Now, 1:gently raise the right hip. 2:gently drag that hip across to the right, but not to its extreme. 3: the majority of your weight should be on your right foot. With the weight there, now raise the left hip and drag it across to the left side.
    Keep repeating steps 1 - 3 and you have it.

If you still have trouble, it means you havent gained control over the muscles in your hips yet. Stand in place and with your hips centered, slowly alternate raising your left and right hip. The line of you hips should be raising up and down like a see saw. Once you are comfortable with that, then practice sliding your hips from right to left, keeping the line of you hips level.

Post Thanks / Like

Another way to practice flat-footed hip work is to curl your toes off the floor. This way it's impossible to use your heels. This is a trick you can use to access the muscles you will need to use. Once you have found them you should go back to standing normally.
    I couldn't agree more about keeping the knees bent, especially if you want to get anything other than a tiny tiny maya (which are nice too of course).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast