Keeping feet flat during hip downs, mayas...

charity

glad i reread that, proper technique as in what i prefer. i dont believe flat foot, toe matters, it is all about the look that you prefer.

Aniseteph

Flat footed enlightenment

If you lift your feet to make your hip go up, you are not using your waist/torso muscles, and also you are moving your unweighted hip. That's really cheating. It doesn't look controlled, fluid and muscular. I do this move as a weighted hip move. In other words, I move my right hip up, out, and down while I have most of my weight on my right leg.

YES YES YES!!!! Got it!

Today we were maya'ing away in class, heels coming off the ground because that's how teacher introduces them. I'd moved on to doing them flat footed in last terms class I think, and have been practising them that way :)D - you can go up&down and walk and everything). So today imagine my surprise when my heel up mayas had all gone to pot. :shok:

Then I thought of this post and realised why.... it's the weight thing. Ta daaaaa! Now if only I can manage the same seeing the bigger picture thing with shimmies... :rolleyes:

Thanks for a moment of belly dance enlightenment Sedonia! :clap:

Tarik Sultan

About raising the toes.

I think it should be emphasized that this should be done only as practice, to help one place the weight properly, not in actual performance!:naghty:

pjmonster

Twisting!

Hi

Im having trouble with my upwards mayas, my body keeps twisting. Im I trying to run before I can walk, do I need to practice, practice, practice or am I doing something wrong?:think:

Any feedback would be appreciated!

M

Kashmir

Hi

Im having trouble with my upwards mayas, my body keeps twisting. Im I trying to run before I can walk, do I need to practice, practice, practice or am I doing something wrong?:think:

Any feedback would be appreciated!

M
Being aware of the problem is the first step. Probably like most people one side is stronger and/or better controlled than the other. If it is mainly control then you "only" have to train your brain to fire in the right order. How about doing them slowly with your back against a wall so you cannot twist? Target 1: get one right; Target 2: get 3 in a row right; Target 3: do it right without the wall. It is also important that you do not continue to practice incorrectly - otherwise that will be the pattern you learn.

There's a number of ab strengthening exercises (I keep meaning to put some on my site). Bridge progressions are useful eg (contracting pelvis floor and TAs), lift your butt off the floor so you are balanced on your shoulders and feet (knees bent, straight line along back to knees - no saggy butts). You should be able to lift and lower without wobbling - or tensing your hamstrings.

If that's easy, (with feet together), lift one leg off. Height is not an issue - what is important is that there is no rocking/dipping/wobbly of the pelvis. That's easy too? Then do it with feet shoulder width apart.

AngelaJP

This site is a gem! :clap:

Had a private belly dance session a couple of days ago and the tummy tuck was urged. Now I know the reason of my sore lower back - the duck butt. Glad to have read about it here now!

I love mayas. Some instructors do it with feet flat on the floor while others don't.

Thank you for sharing Rachel Brice's drills. I hope to do those today, haha!

pjmonster

Thanks!

Hi Kashmir

Thank you so much for your tips, I cant wait to try them out but alas I am at work at the moment and trying to resist the urge to practice in the ladies toilet!

M x

Amira_116

Personally, I think practicing in the bathroom is a great idea! Also in the shower, when washing dishes, when you're waiting for ...anything... :) Ok - people look at you funny, but so what?

I worked with Rachel Brice on Maya's and Taxim (upwards maya) and I love the refinements she gave to my Suhaila techniques. First, in order to control the steps, do work them flat. Once you've got them, then use your feet if you want. If you can picture yourself standing in between two sheets of glass - one in front of you and one behind you - it helps calm the tendence to twist. REALLY bend your knees, and when you're bringing the out hip down, bend that knee MORE. It feels strange because much of your weight will be there, but that's how to get control of your maya. Also, really check your tuck. If your tail bone's sneaking out from under you, it's harder to do the move.

Another trick I've learned over the years is the placement of the hips under your ribcage/shouders. If your normal position isn't working well for you, try pushing your hips forward very slightly. Some people need to be in a more forward position for the hip flexors to release enough to do the move.

It's a beautiful move and well worth the work.

Jana

edavis2

Ravenhairedbellydancer,

Hi!:) When I first started dancing, my teacher said that it is perfectly OK to play with your base. That is, sometimes it can help you to keep your feet flat by placing one foot slightly more in front or behind the other foot. When I first attempted mayas, I could keep my feet flat, but the movement felt awkward to me. So, when I tried it again with one foot slightly forward, not only could I get the movement right, but I could still keep my feet flat. After a while of practicing with the different foot placement, I got the feel for the movement and it helped when executing the movement with my feet level. Just be sure that you don't end up placing all your weight on one foot when executing the movement because of your feet placement and DEFINITELY your bend your knees more with pelvis tucked and chest lifted :naghty:! Also, sometimes hip width could be an issue. If a person has wider hips, my teacher told me that having your feet a little wider than hip width could help. This especially helped my with horizontal figure 8s, shimmies, and hip swivels. If you have difficulty in isolating the hip movement, try placing your hands on top of your head. This again helped with other movement I listed. I hope this helps you!

Happy Mayas,
edavis2

P.S. With this movement, you'll really start to feel it in your side obliques and quads!

jenc

I tend to find that I am trying to do mayas without moving my knees since I moved to more internally driven movements. So I concentarate on lowering the other hip for the first move instead of raising the working hip. from there on it goes OK

Lotus Dancer

[QUOTE}

I used to complain about my lack of torso flexibility until I talked to Rachel Brice who said she drills every day 50 torso slides right, 50 left, 50 chest lifts, 50 chest drops, etc. You have to work to BUILD UP a greater range of motion. It will happen if you practice and drill. I did, and it did.

My students now sometimes say, "I'll NEVER have the torso movements you have!!" and I tell them the same story. But you can't expect it to happen overnight. You don't decide on Monday to start weight lifting, and then on Tuesday have big Popeye arms, you know?

Make a list of the stuff you want to do better, or the areas where you would like more flexibility. Then make yourself a daily drill list. Or post your goals here, and we'll help you put together a daily drills list. Then, do the drills daily. After 30 days you'll be amazed. I'm SERIOUS! :)[/QUOTE]

Excellent Advice!!!
I will definately make this my daily routine. Thanks Aziyade.
As for Maya's I use the obliques to control the movement. And damn it feels good to feel those muscles work'n.
I teach my student's from there 1st class to focus in on the oblique area.
By the 3rd class there Maya's are awesome. And they are stoked that the abdo area is tightning up.
Also we do alot of work on the upper and lower abs (the core area's.)
Again thanks must go to Rachel Brice. Sensational.
Lotus Dancer