I keep getting lazy...

I feel so bad that every couple of months it seems ill become lazy or disillusioned and just stop dancing, well practicing and I HATE that i do this. I love this dance so much, and i realise that Im happy when im learning and that something huge is missing inside when im not... theres gotta be some way to make me stick to it lol...

Maria_Aya

Come to my class lol

Serious now:
Make different CD's for practising, change the routine you practice, add different things, go from assaya to veil to zills to walking patterns.
Enjoy your dance

maria aya :)

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Raven,

Go out immediately and get the book "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron.

Don't read it, DO IT. It's like a workbook.

I've been where you are, and I think this is exactly what you need.

And post here more. That always motivates me. If I can't be dancing, I'm happy talking about dancing!

charity

i've been experiencing this lately. i had gotten ariellah's dvd and loved it immediately. now i think 2 months later, i want to put my foot through the tv. already i need another dvd. it seems i'm learning the same thing over and over and getting nowhere new. so the same thing i already know is presented in another fashion and so for a little bit my attention is captured but after a while i begin to notice hey, this isnt different, i havent learned anything else except that now my arms look different and i dont like the new look so now what...

so i quit for a while. i am having extreme difficulty in this location. all that is offered is ATS. i have come to loathe ATS. its not what i want to be learning. and so i have quit class and now am trying to devise yet another study plan. but its hard to imagine what comes next when you do not know what comes next...if you know what i mean so i go days without doing anything except isolations and i am overcome with boredom. but what else can i do?

sstacy123

Dancing

Yeah I find it strange that I haven't lost interest in dance...I was practicing everyday and at least a month prior to my trip I just quit...I went from taking three classes a week to just one...and it's funny because that practice time was "me" time that I cherished...so why did I stop? Well I've started back...two days in a row...but I have the motivation of a show/recital coming up in December...but I really want to practice my improv...!

Shanazel

In childhood, there is a phenomena called "disequilibrium." A child who has begun to learn a new skill reaches disequilibrium, and as a mother of two, I am here to tell you disequilibrium is a challenge for the child and all those around her! Temper tantrums, discontent, small horns sprouting below the erstwhile halo. Oy. However, When the new skill is perfected, the child enters a period of equilibrium and is (more or less) a content little angel for a few months until the next skill comes up on the horizon.

Artists of all kinds go through similar cycles. The putting the foot through the tv stage is not so uncommon as you may think when a person is ready for the next level of achievement and accompanying struggle.

I agree with Aziyade about "The Artist's Way." I'm not as crazy about Cameron's subsequent books, but this one is a real jewel.