First Performance....Eek!

Johara

I am performing my first ever solo next Saturday and I'm freaking out!!! I'm so terrified that I am going to forget my choreography! I can't figure out how to calm myself down before I perform. It's just at a hafla, but I cannot help flipping out. I am performing my own choreography too and that makes me super nervous. Does anyone have a great way to just chill out before a performance? I know I am totally overreacting, but, again, I cannot control myself. Ugh, how embarrassing, really! Any help would be much appreciated.

Johara

Kharmine

Hello, Johara, and welcome! Not knowing much about you, not sure what to suggest.

I've had hypnotherapy to deal with dentists and my fear of needles so I could have acupuncture -- that worked well. But maybe you wouldn't be able to find a certified hypnotherapist in this short a time.

I've also practiced hatha yoga and yogic breathing for years. Ever try yogic breath?

A simple form is to lie down on your back in a quiet place, shut your eyes and breathe in slowly and deeply (until your chest expands) to a count of at least four and up to eight -- hold for the same count -- release slowly for the same count -- hold the same count -- breathe in same count, etc.

While you're doing this, try to mentally focus only on your breathing. Imagine watching the air coming in as if your lungs were a balloon -- from the mouthpiece at the bottom and up, up, up until even the top part of your lungs has expanded. Then when releasing, same way as a balloon would -- from the bottom first, the air emptying out of the top part of your lungs last.

Helps to have a ticking clock or a metronome or some such device to help pace you. Definitely will slow your heart rate. Do this every day, before bed if you've no other time. It takes practice to discipline your breathing and mental focus. You can also do this while you're standing, you just won't be as relaxed. But try it standing a few times a day before the performance so that you can go into into easily when you're waiting for your turn to go on.

Break a leg!

Last edited:

janaki

Hi Johara,

Welcome to the forum!!!
We all feel nervous before the show. The good thing for you is you are doing your own choregraphy and it is a solo. It really doesn't matter if you messup the choreo, as long as you keep the beat and dance to the music. Improvisational skills come in handy here. Remember to do good deep breathing before the show, and remind yourseld no one is going to hurt you or kill you if you mess up. LOL. I do this all the time. I also tell myself, when I am dancing, I am in control and I don't let anyone or anything to take charge. If you mess up so what??? Just laugh about it. You are not a human if you don't make mistakes. We always learn from good things and mostly from the bad things. Which ever way it is great learning experience for you. Pls take it easy and calm down and go break leg!!!!

All the best

Hugs
Janaki

adiemus

You're among friends, too, and everyone has had a first time - they don't know your choreography, so if you improvise, they really won't know!! What's the worst thing that could happen? What's the best thing that could happen? What's the most likely thing that will happen? What will it matter in five years' time when you're famous and earning a living from dancing????!!!!!
Go ahead and have a ball!

Lydia

I agree with all the above and nobody know,s it is your first time only you ,so?..enjoy!!!people will feel that you enjoy it and it will be just fine,goodluck and let us know how you got on...we will be thinking of you,regards Lydia

Johara

Reponse

I failed to mention in my previous post that I am actually only a 2nd year student and have only performed with my class about 3 times. We were only given 4 weeks to come up with our own choreography, which was not quite enough time for most people. I just finished my choreography yesterday, and have 2 days to memorize it before our dress rehearsal. So, this has added to the stress of performance. I'm not nearly as nervous after reading all of you wonderful comments. It is just very scary showing people your first performance piece. I'm sure I'll do fine. Thank you so much for all the support! You ladies are all wonderful!!!;)

Johara

It is this Saturday. I have to show my instructor my choreography tonight before class, which should be interesting.

charity

I failed to mention in my previous post that I am actually only a 2nd year student and have only performed with my class about 3 times. We were only given 4 weeks to come up with our own choreography, which was not quite enough time for most people. I just finished my choreography yesterday, and have 2 days to memorize it before our dress rehearsal. So, this has added to the stress of performance. I'm not nearly as nervous

ohh, that is scary.

i was going to say whats the worst that can happen you trip and fall, have a brain fart, well you go on or you run off the stage crying...right?

i say just do what you have to do, practice, practice, practice... its all you can do, if something happens keep trucking...consider the absolute worst possibilities, none of them are really so bad. except of course for your costume coming completely off... so just make sure everything is secure and just get out there and do your dance with pleasure.

i was so nervous my first time doing bellydance in front of people but afterward when it went fine i felt like a damn fool for having stressed. it takes away from the experience. so just relax, put it off as something you cannot control. your going to perform right, no way out, so just keep preparing until the day comes. then relax into it and have fun.

good luck with it. let us know how it goes.

Johara

Done!!

I did it!!!! YAY!!!!!!! :clap: It was awesome! I had so much fun! I forgot parts, but I improvised! Cannot wait to do it again! The only big stupid thing I did, was forget I had gum in my mouth!!! How rookie is that?! DANG! Next time I will certainly remember the gum check. DUH me! Thank you for all the support! You ladies are so so wonderful!!!