Thread: Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Help!

UGH! Can anyone give me repair advice regarding skirts with fishing wire in the bottom of the rolled hem?

How does one get the wire back in if it's been snagged??? I feel like I'm fighting with a live fish on the other end because I CAN'T GET THE WIRE BACK IN THE CASING :eek: !

Good heavens, can ANYONE HELP ME, PLEEEEEZE ???

Azeeza

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not much good with reparing those sorts of things.. my usual tactic if I could spare a cm or two of material would be to pull out the overlocker and redo the hem all the way around.

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest would Mouse said. 1 CM isn't going to be much of a different really, and it might save your sanity later on. Have you tried taking it all the out and just zig zagging over the top of it?

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing wire in the lower hem???? Did they use the wire to sew the hem or is it used to give shape to the hem? If it is just to give the hem shape, I'd take out the wire and replace it with narrow horsehair braid on the inside surface of the hem.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

OK this is a bit painstaking and needs patience! But it should work if it's one of those chiffon circle skirts with fishing line/wire to make a ruffled hem effect, and if the fishing line runs freely in a casing or overlocked edge finish. (i.e. is "pullable" - assume it is and that's what's happened!

So if it has snagged and pulled a loop of line out, you might be able to push the loop back like this:

Think less of the fact there's a huge wobbly loop, and more that the length of line that's been pulled will have caused the hem to be slightly gathered onto the line that's still in place (it just won't necessarily look like it as there's so much fullness along a wired hem).
    So what you need to do is smooth out these gathers - start 25 cm or so along from your loop, hold the side furthest from the loop firmly so the line/wire doesn't slip through, then with the free hand start gently smoothing the casing over the line towards the loop. Keep going, moving along towards the loop while holding firm on the faw side, and as the casing is smoothed over the line the loop should shrink. Repeat the process from the other side. If the loop is still there do it all again but starting further away (a big loop will take a lot of smoothing from a long way round as it will have pulled out from so far round the hem). Finally, once your loop is gone, check the casing is still intact where it happened, and repair it with a few tiny stitches if necessary - if there is any damage it is liable to pop out again otherwise.

This won't work if it has pulled an end completely free. In this case I'd have a go threading it back with a blunt-ended needle. If the casing moves freely over the line you can push the fabric back so you've got some line to work with if necessary (no good trying to thread tiny little ends), then once it is back in place and fixed at the end, do the smoothing bit as above to get rid of any loop you made while doing it. And repair the casing if necessary.

Sounds like a pain but personally I'd much rather try this than contemplate re-hemming a full skirt with a ruffly hem:eek: . Especially chiffon or similar light stuff. Nightmare scenario.

Hope this is relevant, good luck and let us know the outcome!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Yep, this is what happened

Quote Originally Posted by Aniseteph View Post
    This won't work if it has pulled an end completely free. In this case I'd have a go threading it back with a blunt-ended needle. If the casing moves freely over the line you can push the fabric back so you've got some line to work with if necessary (no good trying to thread tiny little ends), then once it is back in place and fixed at the end, do the smoothing bit as above to get rid of any loop you made while doing it. And repair the casing if necessary.
    Aniseteph:

This is what happened. I tried and tried to pull it back through by sliding the rolled hem back and shrinking the fishing wire inside the casing, but the edge kept popping out. I was so close several times, but I gave up after an hour and a half of struggling.

I thought I would ask the more experienced seamstresses out there what their suggestions would be and I have several choices.

What I will try first is the blunt needle. This sounds like the less labor intensive of the options, so I'm all for trying it first.

I will keep everyone posted on my skirt and THANK YOU EVERYONE FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART for all the help!

Azeeza

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear, sounds really frustrating! If it is just popping loops out further back while you wrestle with the end I'd be inclined to deal with the loose end first - get it threaded in and secured it at its end, then go back and deal with the loops.

First thought was that if its making loads of new loops when you deal with the end it, the casing isn't sewn down closely enough at the edge (so loops can escape between the stitches). In this case hemming over the casing edge with smaller stitches (in fine thread so it doesn't show) may help - probably needs doing by hand , but I doubt you'd have to reinforce the whole hem, only the bit where you're repairing and trying to get the wire back in.

But thinking about it some more, just doing a line of very fine temporary stitches along the casing edge might do it - once it's all back in place and the kinks are all out it probably holds itself in place by pushing against the bottom edge. Have a look how the intact bits of hem are working. If so, the casing doesn't have to be that closely hemmed...

Who would have thought a skirt could be poised in such a delicate state of equilibrium?

I'd still prefer this to rehemming the lot... And I can't think of anything else that would give the same effect - it'd need to be really light to not weigh the hem down.