what exactly was it about the old dancers??

Ive seen many videos of the dancers from black and white movies and many videos of todays dancers,, some are very similar and some are so drastically different,, for example Suheir Zaki,, there is something about her dancing ( and its not the older fashioned clothes) thats not the same as todays dancing but i cant pinpoint whats different...? Shes not the only one ive found that seems so different somehow from todays dancers,, was it posture? Is it my imagination...?

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Oh that's the million dollar question, isn't it? LOL.

It's not your imagination.

Sohair Zaki is what a lot of people call a dancer in the "Classical Egyptian style," in contrast to the "Modern Egyptian style."

What's the diff? Depends on who you talk to.

Some people consider the beginnings of real Raqs Sharqi to be the dancers of the so-called "Golden Age" -- and these would be the dancers in the Egyptian films. Naima Akef, Taheyya Karioka, and Samia Gamal are probably the most famous of the Black & White movie star dancers in the "Golden Age." You can usually find quite a lot of footage of them. (My faves are Katie and Nabaweya Mousatafa.)

After the Golden Age dancers, (Who, by the way, were dancing as CHARACTERS in a film story, and were under the instruction of the film's director to do certain things or dance a certain way, which is why Samia Gamal seems to have some rather bizarre arm movements at times.)

Anyway, after the golden age, there's another "age" of dancers, who might be called the "Classical Egyptian" dancers: Sohair Zaki, Mona Said, Fifi Abdo, Nagwa Fouad (who was really an entity unto herself. NOBODY else danced like Nagwa.)

Anywho, they set the stage for MODERN Egyptian dancers, of which Dina is probably the most progressive of the bunch, pulling from old traditions, making new ones, and nodding to western dance in how they approach it.

There's an argument to be made that the change from "Classical" to "Modern" is somehow the "fault" of Mahmoud Reda, and the folkloric/fakeloric influence, but I'm not equipped to argue that.

But, in all honesty, change is normal. Look at American dance from the 40's to today. From swing-era & jazz, to the 60's dances, to disco, to punk/techno 80's music, to line dancing, to the latin influence in today's clubs. WE don't dance like we did 50 years ago, so why should any other culture?

Check out this link:

Amina worries the East has become too West for the Gilded Serpent

And here's a place where you can get nice DVDs of the old film stars:

Sausan Academy: DVD Store

Aisha Azar

Old Days

Ive seen many videos of the dancers from black and white movies and many videos of todays dancers,, some are very similar and some are so drastically different,, for example Suheir Zaki,, there is something about her dancing ( and its not the older fashioned clothes) thats not the same as todays dancing but i cant pinpoint whats different...? Shes not the only one ive found that seems so different somehow from todays dancers,, was it posture? Is it my imagination...?

Dear Raven,
While some people see a great deal of difference between what is being done by dancers now and in the "golden Age". I do not see so much difference in movement and essence as I see it in setting, costuming, and other elements outside the dance itself. I still see 10 basic things going on in the better dancers, and I still see the same types of movement, just as uniquely interpreted as the difference between Nagwa Fouad, Mouna Said and Soheir Zaki. I do not see a trend toward westernization in the dance, but instead see a trend toward costumes and musical choices that are more modern. Also, the romantic setting of the movies is no longer there, and cinematic technology makes things sharper instead of softer, now. Black and white with its sort of fuzzy edges allowed things to appear different than they would have in real life, on both physical and psychological levels. I think that alot of those perceived differences come from that alone, never mind the other influences. It was a more innocent time, but those dancers were not conceived of as innocent in their own cultural environments any more than Marilyn Monroe was here.
Regards,
A'isha

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Well, like I said -- depends on who you talk to.

I personally see a huge diff between Sohair Zaki (who I have the most footage of) and Randa and Dina (the modern dancers I have the most footage of.) I haven't spent the time to really analyze it, and maybe I should. They've talked a lot about it on tribe and on bhuz.

I'm currently immersing myself in Lubna Emam's "folkloric" workshop dvds, but when I get tired of these, I'll go back to Randa and Dina and see what I can figure out.

Aisha Azar

Dance erc.

Well, like I said -- depends on who you talk to.

I personally see a huge diff between Sohair Zaki (who I have the most footage of) and Randa and Dina (the modern dancers I have the most footage of.) I haven't spent the time to really analyze it, and maybe I should. They've talked a lot about it on tribe and on bhuz.

I'm currently immersing myself in Lubna Emam's "folkloric" workshop dvds, but when I get tired of these, I'll go back to Randa and Dina and see what I can figure out.

Dear Aziyade,
But then, don't you also see alot of difference between Naima Akif and Samia Gamal, or Mouna Said and Suheir, or Dina and Lucy, or Randa and Dandash? I am trying to kind of pair up contemporaries so that the comparison is reasonable to the times in which each of these pairs danced, if that makes sense!!
Regards,
A'isha

Amanda (was Aziyade)

A'isha, that makes sense, but I'm not prepared to compare/contrast right now, since I've been out of the loop for so long and haven't really studied the videos in a while. Last year I spent focusing on Turkish, and this summer I started with the so-called "folkloric orientale" styles in Egypt, so it's been a while since I've really thought about Sharqi or Baladi.

We can revisit this at a later time, but I don't have anything meaningful to add right now :)

Aisha Azar

Dance, etc.

A'isha, that makes sense, but I'm not prepared to compare/contrast right now, since I've been out of the loop for so long and haven't really studied the videos in a while. Last year I spent focusing on Turkish, and this summer I started with the so-called "folkloric orientale" styles in Egypt, so it's been a while since I've really thought about Sharqi or Baladi.

We can revisit this at a later time, but I don't have anything meaningful to add right now :)

Dear Aziyade,
I have never seen a time when you don't have a point of view worth reading. And you present your views with grace and style!
Regards,
A'isha

Jamilla Rasa

I sometimes think the beauty in the "old Style" was because it was "natural" not many of the dancers were "trained" by todays standards. They simply danced, they danced the way their body wanted to move. Of course there are exceptions to this, any time you have a group of dancers together, you have to have some sort of choreography planned or it is a train wreck...in the old films, the trained dancers were of the classic arts, such as ballet and some jazz (remember Jazz was new too, it made its big debute in the late 40's and 50's)....so the back ground dancers were going to be given choreography that would be more ballet and make it work with Raqs Sharki. Years ago there was no terminology for our dance style, it wasn't called a figure 8 or an amaya, it was simply "look-see-do" teaching style. Suhaila (and a couple others like Sahreen El Safi and Delilah) was the pioneer in giving terminology to our dance, in the past 25 years, up until then nothing.
I come from the school of not over doing it. I personally enjoy seeing someone dance with a simple clean style, that dances with confidence, sharpness and inner beauty to balance the dance, as compared to one who runs through the few minute song that over layers or trys to fit everything they know into one dance. I truly enjoy the old style dancers for the most part, until they get too ballet or jazzy for me. That is just my personal taste.
I also think that todays dancers are much more prepared to be on stage and dance in public, they are trained in not only the classics but Raqs Sharki as well, which makes for a wonderful new powerful group of dancers out there. I think the only thing that most of the younger dancers lack today is "feelings" for the dance they are doing, and that just takes time to think about what the song you are using is saying to your feelings. The difference is the same as a slow dance and head banging! lol .....I think todays dancers are brilliant and talented and have brought Raqs Sharki up to a level it has never experienced before.

Jamilla Rasa

I think the beauty in the "old Style" was because it was "natural" not many of the dancers were "trained" by todays standards. They simply danced, they danced the way their body wanted to move. Of course there are exceptions to this, any time you have a group of dancers together, you have to have some sort of choreography planned or it is a train wreck...in the old films, the trained dancers were of the classic arts, such as ballet and some jazz (remember Jazz was new too, it made its big debute in the late 40's and 50's)....so the back ground dancers were going to be given choreography that would be more ballet and make it work with Raqs Sharki. Years ago there was no terminology for our dance style, it wasn't called a figure 8 or an amaya, it was simply "look-see-do" teaching style. Suhaila (and a couple others like Sahreen El Safi and Delilah) was the pioneer in giving terminology to our dance in the past 25 years, up until then nothing.
I come from the school of not over doing it. I personally enjoy seeing someone dance with a simple clean style, that dances with confidence, sharpness and inner beauty to balance the dance, as compared to one who runs through the few minute song that over layers or trys to fit everything they know into one dance. I truly enjoy the old style dancers for the most part, until they get too ballet or jazzy for me. That is just my personal taste.
I also think that todays dancers are much more prepared to be on stage and dance in public, they are trained in not only the classics but Raqs Sharki as well, which makes for a wonderful new powerful group of dancers out there. I think the only thing that most of the younger dancers lack today is "feelings" for the dance they are doing, and that just takes time to think about what the song you are using is saying to your feelings. The difference is the same as a slow dance and head banging! lol .....I think todays dancers are brilliant and talented and have brought Raqs Sharki up to a level it has never experienced before. I also think it would be difficult to recapture the old style dances mostly because it was danced from within and was very indivualized, it couldn't be taught the "style" of dance Zohar Zaki did, she had her own style....a style that started from the inside and worked it's way out to her dance.

Kharmine

When I think of the old, classic black & white movies of almost any country, everyone seems so much classier and more glamorous than today.

Maybe because more modern color movies put an emphasis on "realism" (which is still rather a fantasy in many ways). Maybe because there was more attention to fashion and a polished look, as opposed to cultivating that "just-fell-outta-bed" appearance that is so familiar now.

In the old days, everything was carefully lighted and staged to help the look of glamour, the dancer's look carefully created (even if it sometimes looks kinda silly to us today). And, come to think of it, there was far less revealed in those costumes -- sexy, maybe but always a hint of mystery rather than letting it all hang out, as it were.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I think the beauty in the "old Style" was because it was "natural" not many of the dancers were "trained" by todays standards. They simply danced, they danced the way their body wanted to move. Of course there are exceptions to this, any time you have a group of dancers together, you have to have some sort of choreography planned or it is a train wreck...in the old films, the trained dancers were of the classic arts, such as ballet and some jazz (remember Jazz was new too, it made its big debute in the late 40's and 50's)....so the back ground dancers were going to be given choreography that would be more ballet and make it work with Raqs Sharki. Years ago there was no terminology for our dance style, it wasn't called a figure 8 or an amaya, it was simply "look-see-do" teaching style. Suhaila (and a couple others like Sahreen El Safi and Delilah) was the pioneer in giving terminology to our dance in the past 25 years, up until then nothing.

I think Raven was referring to the Egyptian dancers, but I could be wrong. I assumed that, and built my response around it.

Even in the old B&W Egyptian movies, there was always choreography. The "chorus line" in the back behind Farid and Samia was doing some kind of lame choreography, but when you watch those movies nowadays, you kind of look at them as set dressing. Whether they were doing ballet or Sharqi doesn't really matter. They weren't there as dancers. I get the impression from some movies that these girls were the "Chorus," literally, since they seem to do a lot of singing.

I have to make a point about the history of terminology, though.

Jamila (not Suhaila) Salimpour is usually considered the first one to PUBLISH her verbal descriptions. There's no copyright date on mine, but Suhaila has said the terms started to be used in the late 50s and early 60s, although I don't think the book was printed and sold until maybe the 70s or the 80s. I could be wrong on that, though. It may have been in circulation earlier.

In the 70s we had quite a lot of books teaching bellydance, and Dahlena's, Burt Balladine's, and Serena Wilson's were probably the most popular. I have a couple of booklets I've collected from the early 70s by lesser-known authors. The descriptions used in the 70s seem to be mostly descriptions of the moves themselves, so you get such long-winded names as "Counterclockwise pencil turn with classic arms and hip pivot in releve."
LOL

Jamila was unusual/famous however you want to think of it, in that she often named some of her steps based on the dancers she saw doing the step first, or the dancer who used that step a lot. That's how we ended up with the "MAYA" (not amaya or mayan or mayim, as I've seen!) -- it was named after Maya Meduar. Ahmed's shimmy was named after Ahmed Jarjour.

Shareen el Safy told me the reason she attributed "names" to her steps was because when she brought Raqs Sharqi instruction to California, people had never seen it and thought she was batty. She associated big star names with the steps to lend credibility to them :)

I'm right there with you! That's why I'm so crazy about Sohair. To me she's the epitome of clean and relaxed style. A real LADY! But I wouldn't say that the golden age or even the modern dancers don't have clean styles -- I just think they have something different about them. Something I obviously can't articulate :)

As far as the AMERICAN dancers, I really like the old-school American Cabaret, as done by like Jeanaeni (spelling?) and Alexandra King. Alexandra still mesmerizes me. I used to think these dancers were so fantastic because they had a smaller movement vocabulary and could really focus on just the feeling, but Alexandra throws in movements from a bunch of folk/ethnic dances too, so I guess that theory is out the window. LOL!

I also think that todays dancers are much more prepared to be on stage and dance in public, they are trained in not only the classics but Raqs Sharki as well, which makes for a wonderful new powerful group of dancers out there.

Hey, you know maybe you just hit the nail on the head for me ---

Today's dancers train for the STAGE. The generation before trained for the nightclub and restaurant. Supposing there might be a significant and substantial difference there .....

Big stage means bigger, more dramatic movements. More limb extension, fussy arm and leg work. Smaller stage, more up close, means smaller more subtle movements and a ...

no, never mind. I don't think that applies. My fave concerts of Sohair are those huge outdoor open air things, with like a gazillion people there. I don't know ... still ... ???

I think the only thing that most of the younger dancers lack today is "feelings" for the dance they are doing,

See, I would argue and say that the thing most YOUNGER American dancers lack today is any kind of cultural education about the dance they do.

You know, I love Neon, but I could just strangle her in some ways. If I had a dollar for every time I heard a potential student say, "I don't need classes. I have a video" (with the implied, "That will turn me into an instant bellydancer!")!!!

Oh but don't get us started on THAT again. I had to listen this weekend while a "professional dancer" expounding on the different styles of bellydance mangled the difference between Saidi and Saudi Arabia.

I think todays dancers are brilliant and talented and have brought Raqs Sharki up to a level it has never experienced before. I also think it would be difficult to recapture the old style dances mostly because it was danced from within and was very indivualized, it couldn't be taught the "style" of dance Zohar Zaki did, she had her own style....a style that started from the inside and worked it's way out to her dance.

Are you talking about the modern Egyptians, or the Americans? Because I can't see Dina and Randa and even Aida and her friends or Raqia and her friends REALLY doing all that much to "bring it up" to a different level. I mean, it's definitely more commercial and I guess becoming more and more accepted, but is it being elevated? Don't Arabs still talk about Fifi and Sohair and heck even Naima Akef as being the pinnacle of Egyptian civilization? :) The ones around here sure do!

As far as Americans go, we've pretty sucessfully "Egyptified" what might have been considered American Cabaret dance, and of course we've invented the phenomenon of American Tribal -- WHICH, and this cracks me up -- is being taught at Ahlan Wa Sahlan (!!!) as well as in Germany, Australia, and probably on every latitude on the planet by now. I think Tribal Fusion is still too new to be able to notice it having any major change on modern theatrical dance, but it IS creeping into modern dance (or modern dance crept into ATS -- I'm never really sure which is the chicken and which is the egg there.)

I'd argue that Sohair's "style" is the Egyptian-ness of Egyptian dance, and it CAN be taught -- it IS being taught. This essence and this APPROACH to the dance is what we've argued about on this board for so long. It's what makes Raqs Sharqi really Raqs Sharqi and not Beladi or Americanized Egyptian or Egyptianized American or Turkish!

Kharmine

You know I may go to hell for saying this, but wouldn't it be cool to see some of the old movies colorized? Like Lady Genie?

A, I never make that judgment about anyone (in some folks' case, it would be redundant to wish it!) :lol:

If the colorizing was done well, I wouldn't mind. I have that movie in my collection, and as it's a fantasy I think it would look great. But there are some movies where the lighting and makeup was done very particularly for b&w film and something then definitely seems to get lost when color is added.

This is so fascinating to me becuz I couldnt figure out what the heck was "wrong" with me LOL , that when Id watch a modern dancer id get such a different feeling than watching one of the black and white dancers and Im positive it wasnt simply clothing styles etc, it was the movement of their bodies and the attitude which they danced with. Watching Suheir Zaki for the first time ( who I now adore) was what pushed me to ask this question, then i watched a number of black and white age dancers and a few of todays. I cant imagine Dina dancing in an old film..

catwomyn

The older dancers seemed more focused on torso movements and expressing personality. And the music they used was everyday music to them, so they seem more connected.

Newer American dancers, at least, are a lot more athletic but seem to have less emphasis on personal expression. There is also more limb orientation and more moving around and spinning. More flash.

The fusion-style dancers I've seen seem less connected to the music and the modern techno music they use is less textured. Many are very fit and athletic and even fluid but the musicality is missing.

Reen.Blom

This all is simply enchanting! This is a great topic! I really cant imagine most modern dancers in those old movies!

sausanacademy

Premium Member
You know I may go to hell for saying this, but wouldn't it be cool to see some of the old movies colorized? Like Lady Genie?

Many of them are. :)
Like Love in Karnak with the Mahmoud Reda Dance Troupe and Amir Al Dehaa with Na'eema Akef and a lot lot more.

-Sausan