Post Thanks / Like

Idea I think I've been "cheating" on my heels:-(

I realized that i have been "cheating" all this time by doing most accented hip movements on my heels, such as hip lifts etc,, i did them flat footed and its a tiny bit harder to do but i feel the movements more in my obliques and i SEE them more which is exciting, i feel like im really using my muscles,,, are there rules about doing most movements flat foot or on heels? Have i really been "cheating"? lol

Post Thanks / Like

It's no cheating, it's just that some movements look different when lifting or not lifting heels. You get a different accent if you do them differently.

Post Thanks / Like

I can just guess by you stating that you feel the muscles better, it sounds that your movements would be more selfcontaind and look more Egyptian.
    When we use more our legs we will get a more western approach.
    However, you may use the abdominal and side muscles also by lifting your heels from the floor.
    There are not realy rools - as Amulya said it looks different.

Post Thanks / Like

Just as an example...

Some teachers teach a hip lift the following way:
    "Stand one foot flat, the other on the ball of the foot. Now press the ball of the foot into the floor and that will lift your hip."

That's sometimes considered a "Skeletal" based movement, as opposed to a muscle-based movement --- which makes NO sense whatsoever, but people still say it.

The same movement taught by another teacher would look like this:
    "Stand with feet flat OR on the balls. Doesn't matter. Contract the right oblique like you're bringing your hip up to meet your shoulder. Or like you're squishing the fat at your side. Stretch and lengthen the other, left side of your torso."

That's your so-called "muscle-based" movement. (I know, it doesn't make any sense, but that's what people call it.) You don't need the floor to lift the hip. The lift is accomplished by the oblique muscles and maybe a little bit from the glute.

The so-called "Skeletal" movements don't usually FEEL (to me) the same way as the "muscle-based" movements do. I prefer the latter most of the time because I really FEEL my abs and torso muscles working and it feels GOOD!

If you're looking to get an emotional response out of the dance movements, then I think the muscle-based moves are the way to go. That's also the philosophy of modern tribal fusion dance, just FYI.

Go with what makes you have an emotional response from the movement. There really is no "Cheating" in this dance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenhairedbellydancer View Post
    I realized that i have been "cheating" all this time by doing most accented hip movements on my heels, such as hip lifts etc,, i did them flat footed and its a tiny bit harder to do but i feel the movements more in my obliques and i SEE them more which is exciting, i feel like im really using my muscles,,, are there rules about doing most movements flat foot or on heels? Have i really been "cheating"? lol
    Actually, you learning to be aware of your body as it develops muscle strength and flexibility. Aziyade provides a great description of skeletal vs. muscular movement. As beginners we often use skeletally based movements when we learn a movement, but as we develop as dancers our awareness shifts toward more complex, muscularly based moves. No you are not cheating..you are growing and learning and that's a good thing!
    Yasmine