Is your partner supportive towards your dancing?

KuteNurse

My husband is very supportive of me having a wonderful hobby and for getting out and getting exericise. I think if I performed, he would come watch, but if I just wanted to go watch a belly dance performance, he would opt to stay at home.

AmiraRayne

My Fiance is supportive of me belly dancing, and I'm really happy about that! He made sure to make it to my first performance, and I know he will in the future as long as he can go.

Mya

Lots of stories about partners, but to digress from the topic a bit - has anyone else had unsupportive families?

My parents, aunts and cousins have absolutely no respect for me or what i do. This weekend, my father called me a stripper, got angry because i had told someone that he's my father (he doesn't want people to associate me with him) and attempted to throw me out of the house.

Of course we live with my grandmother now so that last part didn't really work out for him.

Anyone else had bad family experiences?

Amulya

Yes me, my family didn't think it was a good career option. For many years they came up with ideas for a career change for me LOL. In the end they gave up. It was not because of not liking the dance, but because it's not an easy and steady job.

Makeda Maysa

My family doesn't really understand bellydance, nor that I would choose to perform it in a professional capacity, let alone learn it. However, through years of persistence and education, I've been able to open their eyes some. My grandmother no longer makes snide remarks - at least, not often. Every now and then she'll say stuff like, "My granddaughter's a bellydancer. She sure has the belly for it.":rolleyes: Whatever. It doesn't bother me anymore. My dad, the deacon, comes to my performances in the area, as does my mother, who's supported everything I've done since I've been out of the womb, whether she understands or not. One of my aunts is in my mentor's class right now. Another has had me perform and teach at her regular Girls' Night. Another has condemned me to hell (she's a pastor), but you know.:mad: She and I had quite a dust-up about it, with me telling her that, though she thinks she has a highway directly to God, she does not speak for Him and that I have my own relationship with Him - when He wants me to stop dancing, He'll let me know. My brother is just happy that I know so many bellydancers and might be able to introduce him.:lol:

Thank God, I have a supportive, patient husband. He is in a fraternity and sees my troupe as my "sorority." He understands the bonds of closeness that we share and that I am pursuing a dream. Yeah, we have our moments where we fuss about how much time I spend rehearsing/performing/traveling, but all in all, he's behind me in every way and I really love that about him. My daughter doesn't think it's strange to have a bellydancing mama as I started right after she was born. She doesn't know any different!