Does anyone know of any "golden age" style instructional videos?

I was wondering if theyre are any more old fashioned style instructional videos available as a supplement to my modern learning ,, i really love the dancers of " the golden age"...

Tammy

Last edited:

sedoniaraqs

I also recommend Shareen el Safy's videos. They are expensive, but I have mined lots of information out of them. I think I have about 4 of them. She talks alot on the videos, which is good except she is not a polished public speaker and sometimes repeats herself, but look past that and the stuff she teaches is great. In terms of instructional videos, you can't really get this material anywhere else.

Sedonia

Aisha Azar

Shareen

Dear Raven,
Shareen El Safy is my very favorite of the Egyptian style dancers who are not native, because she just gets it!! She was noticed by Nagwa Fouad some years ago now and Ms. Fouad helped her to get her license to dance in Egypt when that was happening not so much. She opened for Suheir Zaki at one point, too. I have seen a couple of her private videos of her performing in Egypt and she was wonderful. She still is.
As far as teaching, I think no one teaches the dance better. She is just so THERE, and understands how to pass info on. She also can stand in a room full of 60 people and make sure every single person gets the attention they need. The first time I took a class with her, I got more out of 3 hours with her than I had in the previous 8 years or so, studying with a large number of teachers. I can not say enough good things about her.
The one area where we seem to really disagree is her basic posture that she teaches, which is very tight and sort of forward of center. I see her teaching it, but I do not see her using it except as a part of a more dynamic posture that changes to suit the needs of the movement that she is performing.
I agree with Sedonia and would highly recommend anything by Shareen.
Regards,
A'isha

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I didn't see this before I posted on your clip thread, but RUN out and get Shareen's video "Weadirt Toghor."

And I <<think>> Fe Yom Wa Leyla, or Walla Mara, but Weadirt Toghor is the best golden age one.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

It's actual instruction. Yeah, her vids are like 65 dollars, but think of them as a workshop in a box. :)

Read Shira's review of them first, so you know what to expect. You might think about trying to get one second-hand, but you don't see them for sale that often. That alone should tell you something! Production quality is not great, but the content is superb.