Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The veil

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Take a look at the very topmost picture on my main page for an idea of one thing that can be done with two veils:

Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

For those just learning veil, do remember that there isn't a veil dancer on the planet who hasn't had tired arms and spent more time tangled in their veil(s) than on the outside of them! May I suggest this article on my site, "So You Want to be a Veil Dancer, Huh?":

So You Want to be a Veil Dancer, Huh?
    Zorba, I absolutely adore you! You are so sweet and helpful; thank you.

I'm quickly becoming addicted to veils---they are so much fun! I've bought veil material in six different colors now, and have discovered that 90 inches is a pretty good length for me. Tonight in class I attempted a veil move I'd never tried before (but don't know what it's called). I "entered the stage" whirling the veil around me, while simultaneosly spinning to the other side of the "stage." The teacher said it looked really good, but I ended up getting dizzy! What was the name of the move I did, and how do I keep from getting dizzy while spinning?

Post Thanks / Like

My veil and I have an uneasy relationship - she likes to float like a butterfly then sting like a bee when I want to do something more tricky than she thinks I'm ready for...
    She delights in tangling me when I think I'm looking sooooo elegant, then she trips me up as I stand in the edge of her.
    But when she and I have an agreement - it's magic!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love veils! I think the one I have is a little big though.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure my black veil is male- it keeps grabbing my butt.

Post Thanks / Like

I know what you mean!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Must speak nicely

Deleted by user
    Last edited by Lucinia; 06-09-2008 at 10:23 PM. Reason: closing account

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, when they wrap themselves around your throat and start to tighten, it is time to give in.

Post Thanks / Like

I love veil, I do double 3/4 veil, just taught a workshop in Canada on it, and hope to come out with a DVD on veil and double veil soon!!

Although veil work is mainly Western or American, I think we should be proud of our contribution to the art, some of the ME dancers over there, are doing more intricate veil work as a result!!

Post Thanks / Like

I love love love love LOVE veil.

I, infact, have performed a veil piece where I enter the stage wrapped up in my veil, and then unwrap while spinning. Nothing sexual about it, thank goodness, although I can see how people could make it sexual.

Ms. Sedonia of Carbonale has made two lovely veils for me...How big are they Sedonia? 4 1/2 yards? 4 yards? I don't remember, but they're BIG. (I'm tall, and I have a large armspan.) lol

Lots of fun.
    A friend of mine says that veils are like cats, in the sense that they are totally unpredictable. I can attest to that, as I performed a piece back in September that I'd done a bunch of times with no problem, but this time, as I was "tossing" my veil over my head to get rid of it, it decided to get stuck on my head, covering my face. (I played it off by flipping the veil over my face with a surprised "here I am!" expression, and kept going....)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aradia View Post
    I love veil, I do double 3/4 veil, just taught a workshop in Canada on it, and hope to come out with a DVD on veil and double veil soon!!

Although veil work is mainly Western or American, I think we should be proud of our contribution to the art, some of the ME dancers over there, are doing more intricate veil work as a result!!
    I'm sure a veil DVD from you would be fantastic - especially if you dance with 3/4 circles, you can show the petite dancers how to deal with them. I alternate between 1/2 circle silk, and 3/4 circle lame' for double veil - they each have their own personalities of course, but I really like my (A'Kai) silk ones. What material are your 3/4 circles?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast