Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The veil

Post Thanks / Like

I use the lame for the 3/4 veils, I like fast double veil, I use it in a percussive mode, I use my silk for floaty soft veil work.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I guess me veils and zills have a strong hating relationship lol
    They dont like me, i dont like them.
    But love to watch veil special when its doen gracefully

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Basic Veil

I found this one on YouTube...

Zorba, would you tell me what you think of this video? If this one is a good point to start learning the veil, I am to the store and buy me 3 yds of silk...
    Last edited by fadua21; 11-08-2007 at 09:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched the first two mins...
    I can't comment on what comes after...but the 'instructor's' arm & hand positions are awful...this is a BASIC that I teach in my veil classes and workshops...arms should be fully extended, but soft, hands facing DOWN...not 'at' the audience and ribcage LIFTED.
    NEVER do a 3-point turn with your eyes cast down, you need to spot or you'll get dizzy and be all over the place with your turns!
    Gia

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fadua21 View Post
    Zorba, would you tell me what you think of this video? If this one is a good point to start learning the veil, I am to the store and buy me 3 yds of silk...
    Not bad. Gia is correct in her assessment of posture gaffs (not that I'm any better myself - my instructor is always yelling at me about hands towards the audience!), but keeping this in mind this video certainly isn't going to "kill you". It has some nice basic movements in it that can help you become familiar with the veil and handling it. She seems to do better when she's actually dancing it rather than just walking through.

I was taught to hold the veil with a slight bend at the elbow - think bird wings - this gives you far more control than completely straight out. The key here is a "slight bend". Does this gal have too much? I'd say she's at the ragged edge of "too much" a couple of times, I'd use slightly less myself.

An added bonus for me is the music she uses - this tune has been on my mind for several weeks as my instructor has been playing this in class.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maria_Aya View Post
    Well I guess my veils and zills have a strong hating relationship lol
    They don't like me, i don't like them.
    But love to watch veil special when its done gracefully

Maria Aya
    One of these days I'm gonna teach a workshop called "When good veils go bad, a workshop for the veil phobic."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aradia View Post
    I use the lame for the 3/4 veils, I like fast double veil, I use it in a percussive mode, I use my silk for floaty soft veil work.
    We're opposites then! I like slow to slow-medium myself, so my silks are my favorites. Like you, I use the lame' 3/4 veils for "power double veil". I like their stability, sometimes its like I'm standing still with these veils rock steady beside me, while the world turns around us! Next time I see you (ANAS?), remind me to tell you what happened to me in a DV workshop a few years back with Kamaal!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    We're opposites then! I like slow to slow-medium myself, so my silks are my favorites. Like you, I use the lame' 3/4 veils for "power double veil". I like their stability, sometimes its like I'm standing still with these veils rock steady beside me, while the world turns around us! Next time I see you (ANAS?), remind me to tell you what happened to me in a DV workshop a few years back with Kamaal!
    Ooooh, can't wait to hear the details!! I'll have a video clip up soon of my double veils, I just did a performance with my dance company doing double veil and wings, unfortunately the camera man needs his butt kicked, he zoomed in the whole time on individual dancers so we didn't get the group in unison shot!!!

I like the slow veil work when I use my 3 yard silk, but yes, the 3/4 lame' can really rock!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    One of these days I'm gonna teach a workshop called "When good veils go bad, a workshop for the veil phobic."
    Sing me up !!!!!!!
    Hey can we do exchange with greek dances

Maria Aya

Post Thanks / Like

Default Veils

I love to dance .I love the veil as it makes one feels more intune with oneself
    The more you love your veil the more it will love you and will not eat you alive. Did my first double veil solo a few months back. Did it to a very upbeat song of Hakim. Worked very well. I also love the isis wings. Think it helps a person to have stronger arms and by doing that the chest lifts up as well, so all round the posture of the dancer is better
    love
    with wiggles and giggles
    Wulpsie

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast